• RockStar
Looks like it is official!!

mayweatherOFFICIAL.jpg

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hell. Yes. Can't possibly live up to the hype but I'm so excited to see this. Team Conor here

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll be on vacation... and i am not going to miss this. Haha

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Conor won't win. He has the power to knock Floyd out but he doesn't have half the boxing skill.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I don't expect it but man would I love to see Conor knock Floyd out!

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
I foresee floyd dancing about in typical fashion, Connor getting pissed and roundhousing him after the bell.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Conor won't win. He has the power to knock Floyd out but he doesn't have half the boxing skill.
I don't know that he has the power. He ran out of gas after a round and a half trying to knock Nate Diaz out.

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
I don't know that he has the power. He ran out of gas after a round and a half trying to knock Nate Diaz out.
If he has any sort of fighter intuition he won't assault mayweather like he did diaz though.. just a thought.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If he has any sort of fighter intuition he won't assault mayweather like he did diaz though.. just a thought.
True, but he's also not used to fighting over a long period of time. Either way, I'm hoping there's a way they both knock each other out simultaneously.

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
True, but he's also not used to fighting over a long period of time. Either way, I'm hoping there's a way they both knock each other out simultaneously.
Yea agreed they both need their asses kicked.

sandpig

sandpig

Awards
  • Established
Hoping to get tickets.
They will cost an arm and a leg so gotta hope for a comp.

Won't be easy though.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
People underestimate how much harder it is avoiding getting punched, in comparison to landing a punch. Most people rather see 2 guys swing at each other until they can no longer lift their arms. Floyd has gone, what 20+ years without even being officially knocked down? ...By people being paid to do that very exact thing.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
People underestimate how much harder it is avoiding getting punched, in comparison to landing a punch. Most people rather see 2 guys swing at each other until they can no longer lift their arms. Floyd has gone, what 20+ years without even being officially knocked down? ...By people being paid to do that very exact thing.
That's true, but I'd imagine McGregor knows that he stands no chance of out-boxing (out-scoring) Mayweather, and that perhaps the only chance, even though it's still a small and unlikely chance, is to knock him out. We'll see though. It'll probably be better than the Mayweather Pacquiao fight haha.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reports are Floyd gets 175M and CM gets 100M.

I would fight both of them for .5M lol. Sign me up!!!

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm guessing they are meeting at a catch weight of 150ish?

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
Reports are Floyd gets 175M and CM gets 100M.

I would fight both of them for .5M lol. Sign me up!!!
Lol i would do it for 100grand. Or even 250 bucks who knows I'm cheap.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe it's actually goin down. McGregor is gunna get lit up, but it's no risk to his career as he isn't even a boxer. If he gets a lucky knockout then he's legend.

I'm pretty thrilled with both of them being open minded enough to make this happen. Great entertainment.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm guessing they are meeting at a catch weight of 150ish?
154 is the weight.

Def gonna watch but like a couple guys said, the chances of Conor winning are unrealistically low... Vegas odds for mayweather are -1100 right now haha.

Im rooting for Conor to catch mayweather cuz I just want boxing to die at this point ha. outside of flloyd, theres almost no names left and MMA rules teh fight game. Would love for an MMA guy to put the final nail in the coffin of the whole "boxing is more pure and harder" debate too. That said, 10oz gloves take a HUGE amount of McG's power away and add to the fatigue factor in a MUCH longer fight than he is used to. Pair that with the fact that May is nearly impossible to hit, even by guys who are way faster and more technical than McG and I think he will be lucky to land 2 shots a round. I totally expect May to pick him apart for the first few rounds and then cruise to a win like he always does. He is the least exciting fighter ever.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You think he has a better Possibility of just wearing him out with body shots first? .. assuming he can catch him or corner him haha

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You think he has a better Possibility of just wearing him out with body shots first? .. assuming he can catch him or corner him haha
I think his power will be almost completely negated by the 3rd round if he even remotely comes out swinging due to fatigue paired with cushy gloves. H'ed have to crack a rib or something in one fo the early rounds to really make it effective later

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If they wanted to make it interesting, they should have gone with boxing for rounds 1-6 and then switch it over to mma for the remaining if it makes it that far.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If they wanted to make it interesting, they should have gone with boxing for rounds 1-6 and then switch it over to mma for the remaining if it makes it that far.
every other round would be fun

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
154 is the weight.

Def gonna watch but like a couple guys said, the chances of Conor winning are unrealistically low... Vegas odds for mayweather are -1100 right now haha.

Im rooting for Conor to catch mayweather cuz I just want boxing to die at this point ha. outside of flloyd, theres almost no names left and MMA rules teh fight game. Would love for an MMA guy to put the final nail in the coffin of the whole "boxing is more pure and harder" debate too. That said, 10oz gloves take a HUGE amount of McG's power away and add to the fatigue factor in a MUCH longer fight than he is used to. Pair that with the fact that May is nearly impossible to hit, even by guys who are way faster and more technical than McG and I think he will be lucky to land 2 shots a round. I totally expect May to pick him apart for the first few rounds and then cruise to a win like he always does. He is the least exciting fighter ever.
Its gonna be a good fight

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hopefully something scandalous happens like someone mentioned above . A kick or elbow haha. Make it worth the price!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hopefully something scandalous happens like someone mentioned above . A kick or elbow haha. Make it worth the price!
I just want Conor to land one big blow and see what that does to May. I feel like he's a baby and thats why he developed such epic defense and never takes shots. He hasn't taken a legit punch in like 10 years ha.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wat will it be ? A one sided shiit show ?
Even worse. Unless McGregor gets unbelievably lucky, I think it's going to be an incredibly boring fight.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Even worse. Unless McGregor gets unbelievably lucky, I think it's going to be an incredibly boring fight.
Should have been "fight", since I don't think this will even come close to being an actual fight.

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
Since Connor is fighting in a boxing ring then they should use mma gloves to jazz things up.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This ! Unfortunately that's what it will be. And trust me I want Mayweather to get knocked out as bad as the next guy. His defense game is the best of all time and everyone is hoping a guy stepping in the boxing ring for the first time is going to do it?!? Not likely

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Mcgregor is very smart for pushing this fight and of course taking it! It's win win for him and he's going to make a fortune!! Worst case is floyd makes him look super bad...oh well the mma fighter got out boxed by one of the best of all time. Everyone knows in a real fight Floyd would be turtled up begging Mcgregor to stop.

Floyd obviously thinks it's easy money for him as well!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Floyd is a smart guy...maybe he has figured it out that losing is where the money's at---the rematch would be solid gold!!!$$$$$$$$$$

I'm gonna put $20 on McG...

Caldwood

Caldwood

Awards
  • Established
Floyd is a smart guy...maybe he has figured it out that losing is where the money's at---the rematch would be solid gold!!!$$$$$$$$$$

I'm gonna put $20 on McG...
Or 1k... just saying you never know.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Mcgregor is very smart for pushing this fight and of course taking it! It's win win for him and he's going to make a fortune!! Worst case is floyd makes him look super bad...oh well the mma fighter got out boxed by one of the best of all time. Everyone knows in a real fight Floyd would be turtled up begging Mcgregor to stop.

Floyd obviously thinks it's easy money for him as well!
I don't think the loss means much to either one of them as long as they're getting paid. To me, I think this represents more what is at stake for bragging rights between mma and traditional boxing.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Or 1k... just saying you never know.
the odds were so good that I had $50 on buster douglas beating iron mike.

made a killing.

the odds are even better here....at any rate, it's worth risking $20

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think the loss means much to either one of them as long as they're getting paid. To me, I think this represents more what is at stake for bragging rights between mma and traditional boxing.
I think this is more about getting paid. It's a shame that this is what we've become.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
It'll probably be better than the Mayweather Pacquiao fight haha.
I always find it funny when people bring up how bad the Pacman fight was...it obviously didn't live up to the hype..but that's because Floyd outclassed Pac that badly...Pacman is known for his speed and relentless effort...yet Floyd made him look like a fool...he had Pac slap boxing with air for most of the fight...that fight was an example of true artwork in terms of footwork and elusiveness. Floyd proved me wrong after taking down Cotto. The guy's a dick, sure. But like I said before, most people will never comprehend the skillset needed to avoid being hit.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I always find it funny when people bring up how bad the Pacman fight was...it obviously didn't live up to the hype..but that's because Floyd outclassed Pac that badly...Pacman is known for his speed and relentless effort...yet Floyd made him look like a fool...he had Pac slap boxing with air for most of the fight...that fight was an example of true artwork in terms of footwork and elusiveness. Floyd proved me wrong after taking down Cotto. The guy's a dick, sure. But like I said before, most people will never comprehend the skillset needed to avoid being hit.
Totally agree with this. Pac was just out of his league (and frankly was just a lot older than I would've liked to see for that fight)... maybe in his prime it would've been a better match but still a poor showing. That fight was unbearable and the entire reason I cannot watch boxing. Fights so rarely are good brawls anymore becuase there is no benefit for the fighters... A win is a win, whether you take every shot to the head or dodge every one and only do enough to win rounds.

As much as I despise May for being a terrible watch, he knows how to win and whats even more is that he knows how to do it in the safest way possible. Its whats allowed him to fight into his 40s without missing a beat and looking like Rocky haha. He will probably be one of the only guys to have such limited after effects from such a violent career simply because he takes so little punishment. Its brilliant on his part from both a career and life-term perspective.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hope mayweather embarrasses him.....watching conor try and fight is rough on the eyes, plus he needs to be humbled consider he wears womens clothes

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Didn't Manny supposedly have an injured shoulder during the fight? And as some other people said, he seemed to be a bit out of his prime. Of course, Floyd is an amazing, although boring, boxer, but I don't really think beating Manny under the conditions he did is some sort of magnum opus for him.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Didn't Manny supposedly have an injured shoulder during the fight? And as some other people said, he seemed to be a bit out of his prime. Of course, Floyd is an amazing, although boring, boxer, but I don't really think beating Manny under the conditions he did is some sort of magnum opus for him.
The shoulder issue is Pac's fault. It's a supposed injury that happened a few months prior to the fight. But past his prime? ...Floyd is 2+ years the elder.

Just by the numbers: Floyd threw 435 punches compared to Pac's 429. Yet Pac only landed 19% (81 punches) compared to Floyd's 34% (148 punches). Pac's shoulder had nothing to do with the fact that Floyd, albeit boring to you, just happens to be the best defensive fighter of all time. There's a huge difference in running and hugging, and literally making opponents swing and miss consistently while also out striking them, as his opponents average somewhere in the neighborhood of 16% landed shots...16%.

Also, Pac, 56% of the time wins by Knockout (38/67). Floyd wins 53% of the time by Knockout (26/49). Most KOs by both men happened during their early years. So let's take Pac's rise to greatness into play. Around 2005 or so. Pac only has 3 more wins by knockout than Floyd (7 to 4) since 2005, and it took Pac 8 more total fights than Floyd to get those extra 3.

The most dominant fighters of all time (specifically in their prime) make most opponents look obsolete.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The shoulder issue is Pac's fault. It's a supposed injury that happened a few months prior to the fight. But past his prime? ...Floyd is 2+ years the elder.

Just by the numbers: Floyd threw 435 punches compared to Pac's 429. Yet Pac only landed 19% (81 punches) compared to Floyd's 34% (148 punches). Pac's shoulder had nothing to do with the fact that Floyd, albeit boring to you, just happens to be the best defensive fighter of all time. There's a huge difference in running and hugging, and literally making opponents swing and miss consistently while also out striking them, as his opponents average somewhere in the neighborhood of 16% landed shots...16%.

Also, Pac, 56% of the time wins by Knockout (38/67). Floyd wins 53% of the time by Knockout (26/49). Most KOs by both men happened during their early years. So let's take Pac's rise to greatness into play. Around 2005 or so. Pac only has 3 more wins by knockout than Floyd (7 to 4) since 2005, and it took Pac 8 more total fights than Floyd to get those extra 3.

The most dominant fighters of all time (specifically in their prime) make most opponents look obsolete.
I'm not saying that the injury wasn't Manny's fault, just that it meant Manny wasn't at his best during the fight. Yeah, Mayweather is older, but it seems like he's aged better than Manny, perhaps due to his fighting style being more defensive, although perhaps Manny's poor performance was due to his injury. Yeah, they both threw ~430 punches, or around 36 per round, but Manny averages around 69 punches per round in other fights (where Mayweather averages around 41, so wasn't too far off of his normal totals), which is almost twice as many punches. Granted, some of that is likely due to Mayweather's more defensive approach and Manny not being able to just go to town on him like he may have wanted to, but some of it is either the injury, if not him just being a bit past his prime factoring in as well.

Again, I'm not denying Mayweather's tremendous skill and ability as a boxer, all I'm saying is that his fight with Manny was by no means fighting a healthy, prime Pacquaio. Of course, that's not Mayweather's fault, but I just don't feel that winning that fight is some sort of massive crowning achievement.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That 16% hit rate is what will doom McG. Everyone knows he will be swinging for the fence early and I totally expect him to punch himself out by the third or fourth round. Honestly I wouldn't be all that surprised if May was able to knock him out in one of the later rounds strictly from a conservation of power and buildup of shots taken perspective. Rounds 8+ will show how much stamina and mental fortitude McG has

APC80

APC80

Awards
If it's like the rest of McGregors "big" fights it'll be a fix, never seen such an obvious set up in my life as his Aldo knockout. Hope I'm wrong and Mayweather knocks the mouthy wee Irish pricks lights out.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I'm not saying that the injury wasn't Manny's fault, just that it meant Manny wasn't at his best during the fight. Yeah, Mayweather is older, but it seems like he's aged better than Manny, perhaps due to his fighting style being more defensive, although perhaps Manny's poor performance was due to his injury. Yeah, they both threw ~430 punches, or around 36 per round, but Manny averages around 69 punches per round in other fights (where Mayweather averages around 41, so wasn't too far off of his normal totals), which is almost twice as many punches. Granted, some of that is likely due to Mayweather's more defensive approach and Manny not being able to just go to town on him like he may have wanted to, but some of it is either the injury, if not him just being a bit past his prime factoring in as well.

Again, I'm not denying Mayweather's tremendous skill and ability as a boxer, all I'm saying is that his fight with Manny was by no means fighting a healthy, prime Pacquaio. Of course, that's not Mayweather's fault, but I just don't feel that winning that fight is some sort of massive crowning achievement.
you're the one who mentioned your disappointment with the fight...and if we're gonna bring in Pac's all time average per round in comparison to this one specific fight, than take into account that he supposedly reinjured the shoulder in the 4th round...yet his worst 3 rounds just happened to be rounds 1-3....???

and once again for whatever reason you bring up past his prime...but he was less than a year removed from regaining the Title and successfully defending it before the loss to Floyd...and somehow since the loss to Floyd (and one more subsequent loss) he has gone ahead and not only regained the Welterweight title yet again , but also successfully defended it...but he's past his prime???

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
If it's like the rest of McGregors "big" fights it'll be a fix, never seen such an obvious set up in my life as his Aldo knockout. Hope I'm wrong and Mayweather knocks the mouthy wee Irish pricks lights out.
How can you say it was a fix? You think Aldo would have been willing to take such a hit to his reputation and now who even cares when he fights?? I'm pretty sure he just lost again

APC80

APC80

Awards
How can you say it was a fix? You think Aldo would have been willing to take such a hit to his reputation and now who even cares when he fights?? I'm pretty sure he just lost again
A UFC champion getting knocked out with one punch, aye right. I've seen guys with broken jaws and smashed noses going the distance. The moment I seen Aldo walkin the ring, head down with a look of shame on his face I knew something wasn't right. Watch it again on YouTube and tell me I'm wrong. Watch the end of the fight where McGregor apologises to him for hitting him while he was down that shows you all you need to know I've never seen a UFC fighter say sorry for hitting someone.

As for Aldo and his reputation I think you'll find a guy that came from poor beginnings and is willing to get his head punched in just to make a living for his family would do anything if the price was right.