Dealing with "gym know-it-alls"

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got a guy I'd say is a friend, have known him a while,...and he good to shoot the sht with and gives me a good spot on the bench....

Now at the same time, he likes to comment on why I'm not "bulky enough" tells me how I should be lifting/eating & it's getting pretty annoying....In all honesty, I've got a legit physique and he's a bloated mess, doesn't squat/deadlift etc. He's in his 40's...I've playfully said my piece, but he ain't take the hint that although I like him I don't need to hear his crap....This is a guy that has said, "lay off the steroids" when in reality I've never touched em...Yet at the same time always feels the need to put his 2cents in.....Anyway just needed to vent & see if any y'all deal with similar...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's fine to humor people, but if it's disrupting your own workouts, you might want to say something or simply avoid him. It's part of the reason why I train alone.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I train alone, and he happens to be there lmao

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is why i never engage in convos with anyone at the gym.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is why I used to lift alone and will be once I get back in the gym again.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Same. I try to not even make eye contact. I'm there for one thing.
This! And I usually stay a mile away from them (the gym I go to is freakn huge). So, I workout in a different corner.

mosam1

Awards
Everyone thinks I'm rude in the gym because I just smile and nod but I never carry on a conversation with anyone but guess what I love it that way. This is my timple and this my time to myself

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone thinks I'm rude in the gym because I just smile and nod but I never carry on a conversation with anyone but guess what I love it that way. This is my timple and this my time to myself
If your not having conversations with "anyone" how do you know "everyone" thinks your rude

mosam1

Awards
Just the looks the body language I do speak to a few 1-2 minutes maxx

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
People ask me how I got where I am. I tell them. I have only intervened a few times when someone was going to hurt themselves.

When I started some of the regulars gave me pointers without me asking. I am appreciative years later.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I find farting in your personal space keeps the know it alls a safe distance away. That and not using deodorant

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is why i never engage in convos with anyone at the gym.
Same. I try to not even make eye contact. I'm there for one thing.
Could not agree more. It should not be a social event, it is one of the only things most of us get to do for ourselves. I never break down that wall...all it takes is that one time and the next thing you know, you have a gym buddy up your a$$. Go to a different gym if you are not able to successfully avoid him.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't mind some interaction here and there & it's certainly good to have a buddy or two around....I dig the camaraderie and familial vibe of a good gym!

My original beef, is that this guy has the audacity to critique what I'm doing, when in reality he ain't in a position to...

If it was someone stronger, more experienced or looked better, that would be different

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't mind some interaction here and there & it's certainly good to have a buddy or two around....I dig the camaraderie and familial vibe of a good gym!

My original beef, is that this guy has the audacity to critique what I'm doing, when in reality he ain't in a position to...

If it was someone stronger, more experienced or looked better, that would be different
Unfortunately, once you open up that gate, you have to accept the bad along with the good. As far as this specific dude, he probably has an altered perception of what he actually looks like and thinks he is the stud-muffin of the gym..

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Got a guy I'd say is a friend, have known him a while,...and he good to shoot the sht with and gives me a good spot on the bench....

Now at the same time, he likes to comment on why I'm not "bulky enough" tells me how I should be lifting/eating & it's getting pretty annoying....In all honesty, I've got a legit physique and he's a bloated mess, doesn't squat/deadlift etc. He's in his 40's...I've playfully said my piece, but he ain't take the hint that although I like him I don't need to hear his crap....This is a guy that has said, "lay off the steroids" when in reality I've never touched em...Yet at the same time always feels the need to put his 2cents in.....Anyway just needed to vent & see if any y'all deal with similar...
This is why i dropped $3k on my own rack, bars, plates and flooring.....the only blowhard i have to listen to is me.....

kev4330

Awards
I hate those kinds of people, best to ignore them or just confront them with the issue.