Low Testosterone at 29

Montana18745

Awards
I just recently had my testosterone tested and my total came up 232 ng/dl and my free test was 62.4 pg/dl. All other bloodwork was normal. I didn't have my shbg checked this time but last year it was low/normal. How can I have low total but normal range free? I'm 29 years old. I definitely feel I have symptoms of low testosterone. I went to an end last year and he basically said I was fine and that was it that my low total was due to low shbg and that's just the way it is.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
You definitely have low testosterone and I'm guessing you are not feeling too good. I know I really wasn't with levels in the mid 300s.

It's also inappropriate IMO for an endo to tell you "you're fine" with testosterone levels in that range. I'd read that as "for liability reasons because of your age I'm going to cover my ass and not treat you by lying to you about the severity of your condition." (Or he's just ignorant but for an endo that's ridiculous - 232 is clinically hypogonadal).

Anyway, have you ever used any hormonal product (AAS, prohormones, sarms, etc?).

My suggestion is to see a men's health/TRT clinic and discuss starting treatment. If you've had low T for >1 year it's probably a persistent problem if your diet/training/lifestyle is reasonable.

Basically if you have chronic low T your main options are TRT, long term clomid (to raise levels), long term HCG. Some people, especially those who have not messed up their HPTA with hormone use are able to increase their T naturally through diet/lifestyle changes and you can find examples of tis online.

In your situation if you haven't used any hormones I would try aggressive OTC T raising strategy and see how it works, and if it doesn't, just start TRT.

I have (likely) AAS induced low T and I was miserable for a long time and am feeling better after starting clomid last month, but I will be switching to TRT as it is likely to be more effective. Personally, I wasted a lot of time trying the OTC test boosters and strategies (higher fat diet, IF, etc.) but you may be different if you haven't used hormones.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Think about what you're saying- low shbg = higher free levels. So that part makes sense. But if your levels were bumped up to 500 with use of clomid imagine what you'd feel like!
So many endos now only deal mainly w diabetes and older people, mostly women. So do a TON OF research and find an endo near you (within an hour or Two) and make an appt After reading about how he/she was a godsend etc. Then you'll get the problem addressed.

Or, if you feel so bold, go get yourself some clomid and get some bloods to see what happens. And so on.

Choice is yours. And maybe a decent test booster is in order- again research the hell out of them. I'd start with DAA and go from there.

Edit - the other post hadn't shown up yet. And I had extremely low t (89 total!) at 24/25 due to an illness. Went to many endos and they did nothing. So not just speaking out my arse

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
To add, my personal experience with endos has been bad both times. I had better results with a urologist as well as HRT clinic.

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To add, my personal experience with endos has been bad both times. I had better results with a urologist as well as HRT clinic.
Yup, go somewhere "purpose built" to deal with said issue.