Trade schools?

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
Hey y'all

I've worked in retail my whole life and would like to make a career change. I've been told by friends and family that the medical field is the industry to get in to, which I wouldn't mind the actual physical work but I don't think I would like the politics that go on within hospital settings.

What has burnt me out from retail is the constant customer is always right mentality big corporations have adapted, and blatant disrespect by the general public. I've realized working amongst the general public is not for me. I have been told by friends who work in the hospital settings, that hospitals have become more so customer service than medical care. Patients are no longer called patients, but customers. Many of the employees have to hand out surveys to the patients on how well they were treated.

Anyways, that is why I'm looking into trade schools.

Looking for some insight, tips, feedback, or advice on searching out a trade school.

Been thinking about plumbing or electrical work.

Thanks.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best way to do this is to go into the air force reserve and get trained for free and then get a job in the civilian sector. Or go Navy Seal.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Medical field is great. Nursing can be done through a trade school and provides decent income, career growth but wi h a great life balance. I'm a dental hygienist, great career but more so for women than men.... my male hygienist friends have had a hard time getting hired

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
If I had to change trades, I would look into welding or HVAC. I'm not snaking **** out of pipes. And I'm not too eat up playing with electricity. HVAC and cooling can crossover to refrigeration work as well for businesses.

Either way you go, there's always demand. If you answer the phone, and do a good job, provide good service, you can write your own ticket. My buddy has his own HVAC business that has morphed into various things over the years, mainly in restaurant service. He has jobs booked weeks out because he stays covered up.

My example of answering the phone. My daughter needed an electrician for a Sunday evening call out. Her husband ran a screw through their main feed going into the breaker panel. I gave her a number to call. She called 3 different ones that advertised weekend callouts. Guess which one got her $600. The one that picked up the phone. It was maybe a 2 hour job.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Really depends where you work, but if your leaving retail because the reasons your saying then I don't think nursing is going to be right for you. Maybe more on the business side,like billing and such, but your still going to have the same issue as retail.