Tips on getting a good pump

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
I've never had a problem with getting a quality pump until recently. so I'm looking for some helpful tips on what you guys do.
I use to be able to start my workout and instantly get a pump. Even when I was on low carb diets I felt like I could almost bust out of my own skin the pump was that good. Well not lately. I can't even exhaust the muscle I'm working. I could do curls for days and never reach fatigue or achieve a pump. Same goes for every other muscle group.
I've tried high volume. I've gone heavy. I take in about 60g of carbs pre workout. I've done RBF training, century sets you name it. The mind muscle connection is there but yet no pump. One theory I have is too much citrulline malate, or caffeine.
With my pre workout containing 2g citrulline malate as well as 2g from my BCAA'S. Could this potentially be the reason for no pump? Any tips welcome. Thanks fellas!

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
What is your pre workout meal like?

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
What is your pre workout meal like?
When I do a morning workout. Pre workout meal consist of -
2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, half cup oats & banana

Other days. 6-7 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup white rice.

snrub

Awards
I know if I take my prework out directly before working out I only notice the pump toward the end. Do you take it then wait 30 minutes or so?

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
When I do a morning workout. Pre workout meal consist of -
2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, half cup oats & banana

Other days. 6-7 oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup white rice.
How long do you wait until you workout after your meal? Hydration is a big thing when it comes to getting a nice pump.

You could also try throwing some arginine and beta alanine into your pre-workout.

Luke1995

Awards
Yea I agree hydration is key, make sure your drinking water all day before the gym and about 40 mins before gym I drink like a litre of water even if you just piss it out your body is hydrated, preworkout meal is important something with carbs and sodium is what get the pump

Try all that and make sure your resting properly

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
I know if I take my prework out directly before working out I only notice the pump toward the end. Do you take it then wait 30 minutes or so?
Usually take it immediately before I start. I may try to wait awhile and see how that works

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
How long do you wait until you workout after your meal? Hydration is a big thing when it comes to getting a nice pump.

You could also try throwing some arginine and beta alanine into your pre-workout.
About 30 min after my first meal is when I start my workout. I'm well hydrated, drink over a gallon a day. I have beta in my ore workout as well as L- arginine in pre workout and bcaas

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
Yea I agree hydration is key, make sure your drinking water all day before the gym and about 40 mins before gym I drink like a litre of water even if you just piss it out your body is hydrated, preworkout meal is important something with carbs and sodium is what get the pump

Try all that and make sure your resting properly
I'm definitely well hydrated. I pound a liter straight out of bed and another half a liter before my workout even begins. Could always get more rest though. May try upping my carbs before workout.

Luke1995

Awards
Yea if you have a quick metabolism like me I pretty much eat carbs right before I head to the gym

And yea I know it's hard to get rest days in when you love the gym but if you've been going hard at it for a couple of months it's good to take a two to five days off, that always works for me