Multiple Oregon football players hospitalized after grueling workouts

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Multiple Oregon Ducks football players hospitalized after grueling workouts | OregonLive.com

University level players. The fellows were huge. six foot plus and 200 to 300lbs. Lots of pushups and up-downs. One hour duration. Apparently they were coming back after winter break and starting early conditioning. The NCAA recommends starting slowly on conditioning after a break.

On the other hand, one of the players who was not hospitalized is quoted in the article as saying the workout has been hyped by the media.

Seems to have happened before in a few colleges and HSs over the years.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
They probably ended up getting rhabdo

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
It's just odd. I've done tens of thousands of workouts over the years, watched thousands more, played four years of college soccer and three years of semi pro. I also live somewhere it gets ****ing hot and humid 6 months out of the year. Never once have I seen someone have to be hospitalized because the workout was too intense. I've puked countless times, thought I was gonna die, Yada Yada Yada.

It really makes me wonder wtf they were doing. Mostly because I wanna try it.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's just odd. I've done tens of thousands of workouts over the years, watched thousands more, played four years of college soccer and three years of semi pro. I also live somewhere it gets ****ing hot and humid 6 months out of the year. Never once have I seen someone have to be hospitalized because the workout was too intense. I've puked countless times, thought I was gonna die, Yada Yada Yada.

If they got rhabdo you DO NOT want that. It's extremely painful, I mean unbearably painful.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Ur one crazy mofo! I've only personally known one person who got rhabdo . He was in a cross fit gym and they pushed him a tad too hard. Husband is a physician and he's treated several men who go admitted into the hospital bc of spin classes.

I'm terrified of it. I push but I had rhabdo in the back of my mind. It can lead to kidney failure and a whole slew of other issues

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never heard of rhabdo until reading about this scenario.

They were doing many extended duration pushups and step-ups. That is mostly cardio or endurance exercises. Well too me at my light weight. Imagine for someone way over 200lbs it must be a bear.

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Ur one crazy mofo! I've only personally known one person who got rhabdo . He was in a cross fit gym and they pushed him a tad too hard. Husband is a physician and he's treated several men who go admitted into the hospital bc of spin classes.

I'm terrified of it. I push but I had rhabdo in the back of my mind. It can lead to kidney failure and a whole slew of other issues
Yeah, I looked it up. I definitely don't want that ****. But I also know my odd and its limits...Im still curious as to the specific workout they were doing.

I have to wonder if there weren't other contributing factors - college players coming off a break where a lot of them probably binge drank until their livers turned yellow, a lot of them I'd guess we're probably not well hydrated...

But yeah, **** rhabdo. I can live without my muscles being for all intents and purposes murdered.

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Never heard of rhabdo until reading about this scenario.

They were doing many extended duration pushups and step-ups. That is like mostly cardio. Well too me at light weight. image for someone way over 200lbs it must be a bear.
Ahhh. Yeah, that would make sense, especially if the other factors I mentioned above played any kind of part in the situation.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I gave myself rhabdo a while back. No bueno. ****s awful