Alpinism

alexcb

Awards
Does anybody on AM climb mountains either recreationally or 'competitively'. Personally, I have summited Mount Fuji, Mount Rainier, and Mount Denali (along with many smaller mountains). If anybody is interested in climbing, after I heal up from surgery, I am planning on summiting Mount Rainier in early June. It helps to have someone you are familiar with while climbing, but it's hard to find people my age who enjoy mountaineering :(

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody on AM climb mountains either recreationally or 'competitively'. Personally, I have summited Mount Fuji, Mount Rainier, and Mount Denali (along with many smaller mountains). If anybody is interested in climbing, after I heal up from surgery, I am planning on summiting Mount Rainier in early June. It helps to have someone you are familiar with while climbing, but it's hard to find people my age who enjoy mountaineering :(
Its Mt. McKinley bro. Anyone that says Denali should be shot. Lol I was born and raised in Anchorage.

Were/are you climbing the faces or easy trail? I've done a bunch on McKinley and others in AK, but none in the lower 48.

alexcb

Awards
Its Mt. McKinley bro. Anyone that says Denali should be shot. Lol I was born and raised in Anchorage.

Were/are you climbing the faces or easy trail? I've done a bunch on McKinley and others in AK, but none in the lower 48.
In the south it's Denali, but since you are from the Anchorage area I'll change my vernacular for you lol.

When I summited we were climbing the south face, more specifically the Cassin Ridge. Luckily the weather was decent so we got to acclimatize on West Buttress

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
July 2008 summited Breithorn peak in Switzerland 4165m on a beautiful bluebird day and repeated that peak from a different route in July 2014 under "winter" conditions, August 2011 climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, August 2012 participated in an expedition to Mt Elbrus but decided not to attempt the summit ( I was stupid enough to take my baselayer off cause it was "too" hot when we returned from our acclimatization climb to Pastouchova Rocks and caught a cold, blocked sinuses etc so I strongly believe my decision to stay behind at the ABC was wise).

Since then I made a promise and kept training so one day I could return and climb it. That day was 28th July this year, took us 7 and a half hours from ABC to summit 5642 m.a.s.l. and back.

Denali sorry McKinley, is in my bucket list. Hope I make it one day.

Apart from high altitude mountaineering, every now and then I enjoy a bit of rock sport climbing.

alexcb

Awards
July 2008 summited Breithorn peak in Switzerland 4165m on a beautiful bluebird day and repeated that peak from a different route in July 2014 under "winter" conditions, August 2011 climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, August 2012 participated in an expedition to Mt Elbrus but decided not to attempt the summit ( I was stupid enough to take my baselayer off cause it was "too" hot when we returned from our acclimatization climb to Pastouchova Rocks and caught a cold, blocked sinuses etc so I strongly believe my decision to stay behind at the ABC was wise).

Since then I made a promise and kept training so one day I could return and climb it. That day was 28th July this year, took us 7 and a half hours from ABC to summit 5642 m.a.s.l. and back.

Denali sorry McKinley, is in my bucket list. Hope I make it one day.

Apart from high altitude mountaineering, every now and then I enjoy a bit of rock sport climbing.
You've been mountaineering since I was in elementary school lol. If you ever want to attempt McKinley I would be down to go. Right now I'm at Johns Hopkins so the closet mountain I have is Mount Washington in New Hampshire :(

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
In the south it's Denali, but since you are from the Anchorage area I'll change my vernacular for you lol.

When I summited we were climbing the south face, more specifically the Cassin Ridge. Luckily the weather was decent so we got to acclimatize on West Buttress
You've been mountaineering since I was in elementary school lol. If you ever want to attempt McKinley I would be down to go. Right now I'm at Johns Hopkins so the closet mountain I have is Mount Washington in New Hampshire :(
Woooo +1 for Alaskans. One more southern person converted lol. Thank you by the way. If you can ski/snowboard, getting dropped by a helo on mckinley or any other mountain up there is amazing. Just remember to test those heated goggles before you go and bring a GOOD oxygen tank.

alexcb

Awards
Woooo +1 for Alaskans. One more southern person converted lol. Thank you by the way. If you can ski/snowboard, getting dropped by a helo on mckinley or any other mountain up there is amazing. Just remember to test those heated goggles before you go and bring a GOOD oxygen tank.
I've actually been skiing down Mount Rainier, probably one of the best experiences of my life.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's a very demanding sport but you get rewarded with those amazing views up in the mountains.

However no matter how physically strong you may be, you have to mentally be stronger as mind can play tricks on you when you least expect it i.e on a super exposed ridge etc

alexcb

Awards
It's a very demanding sport but you get rewarded with those amazing views up in the mountains.

However no matter how physically strong you may be, you have to mentally be stronger as mind can play tricks on you when you least expect it i.e on a super exposed ridge etc
When you're not afraid of death and embrace high stress situations, the mental strength for mountain climbing comes from all the hours/days/weeks you've put into previous mountains. I BASE jump and run ultra long distance so determination doesn't lack within me.

But by far the scariest encounter I had with mountaineering was while climbing McKinley in the Northeast Fork aka The Valley of Death. Directly to the West of us a sheet of ice probably the size of a school cam tumbling towards us after high wind gusts causes a mini avalanche. Luckily we were able to make it high enough fast enough so that it missed us.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
When you're not afraid of death and embrace high stress situations, the mental strength for mountain climbing comes from all the hours/days/weeks you've put into previous mountains. I BASE jump and run ultra long distance so determination doesn't lack within me.

But by far the scariest encounter I had with mountaineering was while climbing McKinley in the Northeast Fork aka The Valley of Death. Directly to the West of us a sheet of ice probably the size of a school cam tumbling towards us after high wind gusts causes a mini avalanche. Luckily we were able to make it high enough fast enough so that it missed us.
Nice. Worst I had in that area was a massive avalanche. We were snowboarding and got out of the way. Sketchy sh!t. Sounds like a damn freight train chasing you.

alexcb

Awards
Update: In the last 3 months, I have reached the summits of Mount Vinson, Aconcagua, and the Carstensz Pyramid. Vinson was December 26-Jan 14, Aconcagua was from January 12-February 9. And then after a month break, Carstensz was from March 4-March 16.

alexcb

Awards
Three continents and $92,450 later, I am only three climbs away from reaching summiting the seven summits