How do you combat sleep depravation?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've had exam upon exam for the past 2 weeks now with another week to come, and so far it's been 3am bedtimes every night for me. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours of sleep a night and it's really taking a toll on me and my body. Being as stressed as I am now my sleep has been pretty ****ty when I do manage to get some, and I'm not sure how to combat this for another week. I've drank way too many energy drinks recently to try and combat the almost drunk feeling of total body tiredness

MikeG5

MikeG5

Awards
I don't know how youre studying but maybe try less time studying but being more smart and efficient in your ways of studying so you have more time to sleep. Everyones different, I get that, but even when I was in undergrad Id have tons of exams, very difficult classes, never went to bed later than 1 am and still got nearly straight A's every semester. I studied every single day for my most important classes. By studying every day, I didn't have to study for hours and hours. If you're studying is fine, then try melatonin or unisom. I know some stay away from carbs but try a bowl of oats before bed. Keep screen time to a minimum before bed, make your room as dark as possible, get as comfortable as you can, and if you only have a week left, just suck it up, stay strong mentally and emotionally, and just bust your ass and get it done.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I don't think I'm studying terribly I'm just dragging some major ass and feeling super ****ty. Obviously that's not good for the gains or the health. I'd love to be able to study a little every day but with exams basically back to back that makes it impossible to do that. I'm studying for accounting and then I take that and the next day I'm studying for precal that I have the day after that. Like real **** the stress is killer and I can just feel my body grind to a halt most days and it's god awful.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dream n Grow quiets my head down pretty well. Not sure how you feel about pills from a guy on the internet, but pm me your address and I'll throw some in the mail to you.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dream n Grow quiets my head down pretty well. Not sure how you feel about pills from a guy on the internet, but pm me your address and I'll throw some in the mail to you.
If I'm only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night will they make me groggy and **** in the morning? I already wake up feeling half drunk lol.

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
I feel you man I work 12 hour shifts in the oil fields plus my 2 hour round trip commute I do this for 7 days in a row and just kills me. Then after work I still get in my gym time. Last time I was on day shifts I counted all my hours and I slept 18hrs total in 7 nights. I've done melatonin and it has helped me get down a lot faster haven't tried other sleep aids but interested in the responses

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I'm only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night will they make me groggy and **** in the morning? I already wake up feeling half drunk lol.
I've done 6 with zero grogginess, 5 took about an hour to get 100%. Never tried it with only 4 hours

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've done 6 with zero grogginess, 5 took about an hour to get 100%. Never tried it with only 4 hours
I can't afford an hour of not feeling 100% right off the bat, cause my 100% last week was 50% of my real 100% so I can't imagine feeling worse than that for a week. Especially since all my important classes are in the morning

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obviously that's not good for the gains....
You're in college to improve your place in life for your long term future fiscal prosperity and lifestyle. You've got the rest of your life for the gains. Give the gym a third or fourth place to quality study and sleep time. Your fiscally secure and stable future lifestyle will provide you plenty of time for the gains. JMHO

Regarding the OT - I nap :)

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You're in college to improve your place in life for your long term future fiscal prosperity and lifestyle. You've got the rest of your life for the gains. Give the gym a third or fourth place to quality study and sleep time. Your fiscally secure and stable future lifestyle will provide you plenty of time for the gains. JMHO
I agree with you but if I don't lift I go crazy lol.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I understand. Me too and we all do for various reasons. I go crazy today because I'm an underachiever who should have got a degree. ;)
Haha yeah I don't want to regret anything in life, but I'm really regretting these past two weeks lol

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FWIW at 51yo my physique aspirations or regrets don't even qualify to even be on my radar. Im in great shape but its a consolation. You are clearly smart enough to know whats the right thing to do. There's a time and place for everything under the sun. True wisdom is learning from others experiences, mistakes and regrets. The weights will always be there. Carpe Diem!

Do good brother! :)