Masters Degrees, HELP!!!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm currently in school as a dual degree for exercise science and business management, and I thought about just dropping the business mgmt. and focusing on my exercise sci degree then coming back and getting a masters in business.

Does anyone know how masters programs work? Would I be over qualified when I enter the work force? Both options will take 5ish years so I'm just looking for opinions/help and maybe even some real world experience.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Why are you just deciding now to switch off the dual?

It really is your call here if the time/money is worth the career it gets you to. If what you really want to do requires both then keep at it.

If it doesn't, maybe try getting hired once you finish just the ex. Sci and if you can't get the job you really want, finish up the business management

I'd never call additional schooling "overqualified" but what is it you're aiming for?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don't you have to get a bachelors in some sort of business area to get into a masters program?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These seem like questions you should ask your advisor and professors.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Academic advisor checking in here -- lol

You can get an MBA with a non-business bachelor's degree. However, you'll likely end up taking a year or so worth of business pre-reqs just to get up to the same level of entry (my MA is in Communication Theory, but I took one of my courses in the business department and a girl in there was doing her MBA but had to do a year worth of 300/400 level content to be eligible to get in, whereas those with bachelor's in business degrees went right into a 2 year program).

As far as the over-qualified thing -- it really depends on what you want to do/go into. Teachers are best served getting their initial certification at the bachelor's level and going to work while working on their master's because the school gets a few years of paying them less. So if someone comes in with a master's and is in the same pool, they may get overlooked if there are good enough candidates with bachelor's degrees solely from that standpoint. But in business, for example, I can't imagine having an MBA would make you over-qualified for any job you would actually want (if you showed up for a management position at Game Stop, they might feel that way, but you get the idea). My buddy has an MBA and worked in upper management with Target and just took a job with Ace Hardware really high up.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would run a cycle for ex science degree for 4 years then pct (vacation) bridge with a job for 2 to 4 (time on plus time in pct)

Preload my masters degree for a semester with classes and apply myself to a decent school.

Or. ask a trusted professor and advisor.

Good luck!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Advisor isn't really much help to me, idk why she jus seems to not understand what I'm getting at.

Want to own a gym later on in life but I'm just trying to find a decent job while I get off the ground and get experience in the real world. Dual degreing is getting pretty rough trying to keep decent grades across the board because the classes are god awfully hard and combine with my exercise classes like anatomy there just isn't enough time in the day to study and work. And they set a time limit on you in the business school saying you need x amount of classes done in y amount of time or you have to withdraw from the program so there's added pressure as well as having to take 16+ credits a semester just to complete everything on time. God help me if I don't pass a class the first time lol

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Focus on one.

I've got almost 2 degrees and about a minor in 3 others.

This is life man. Let what you love dictate and then let it kill you.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Focus on one.

I've got almost 2 degrees and about a minor in 3 others.

This is life man. Let what you love dictate and then let it kill you.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I love both tho that's the problem haha

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your end goal is owning a gym, the business degree is going to be more important. You don't need a degree in exercise science to do that well. If you want to be the best trainer or possibly pursue a CSCS, then that's gonna help you greatly, there. But otherwise you could get the knowledge you have from exercise science, get the degree in business, and then just get your certs in fitness stuff afterward and still be just as qualified, IMO.

I'd look more at business and event management if that's truly what you want to do.

I always said I'd like to own a gym, but I'd never do it for profit, because I'd want to be able to kick out anyone at any time I liked. I'm too particular and wouldn't tolerate stuff that you have to as part of maintaining profit lines.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I took up exercise sci cause it's what I love doing, then I found business half way through. Guess I'll suck it up and dual degree haha I'm going to need both in the long run anyway

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's not a lot of options for ESS: training, coaching, or teaching. That's about the synopsis of what the degree gets you. What level you're able to ascend is up to networking and knowledge (in that order).

Getting a Master's in ESS isn't going to offer you much above what a BS will to be honest unless you want to continue for a Ph.D.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There's not a lot of options for ESS: training, coaching, or teaching. That's about the synopsis of what the degree gets you. What level you're able to ascend is up to networking and knowledge (in that order).

Getting a Master's in ESS isn't going to offer you much above what a BS will to be honest unless you want to continue for a Ph.D.
Yeah I was going to get a BS in Exercise sci and a masters in Bus administration but you need 5 years minimum in an administrative position in the workforce (here at least) so I'll probably just suck it up and get a bs in both then go back for a masters if I feel Ike I need it. Networking is crucial tho so I've been taking every opportunity I can get my hands on to try and get my name out there.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are going to be better off with the business management degree. It is quite general, but sets you up for more opportunity than the exercise science degree.

I started on the same path way back when I was working at EAS and found that there aren't many options for ES and the goal to open a gym is pretty limiting. Ended up moving over to CIS with a minor in business management and it was the best decision I could have ever made. Then picked up a technical degree in network engineering.

Also, think long and hard about setting yourself up to go get a Masters. In most industries it is not necessary and I know many people that spent the money to get it and wish they hadn't because the opportunities don't match the time and effort required.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You are going to be better off with the business management degree. It is quite general, but sets you up for more opportunity than the exercise science degree.

I started on the same path way back when I was working at EAS and found that there aren't many options for ES and the goal to open a gym is pretty limiting. Ended up moving over to CIS with a minor in business management and it was the best decision I could have ever made. Then picked up a technical degree in network engineering.

Also, think long and hard about setting yourself up to go get a Masters. In most industries it is not necessary and I know many people that spent the money to get it and wish they hadn't because the opportunities don't match the time and effort required.
If I wasn't 3/4 of the way done with the ES degree I'd just change to Bus but because I'm so far along I might as well finish it

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, I thought you were just starting and looking for advice in the beginning.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh, I thought you were just starting and looking for advice in the beginning.
I'm just starting my bus. Degree, but I'm nearly done with my ES degree. Gonna be a rough year or two cause I have to do clinical for ES degree but I'll make it work, just have to pass this god damn accounting class