justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know what prompted my visit to the GNC near me. It was close to the Publix so I walked in. May have been a mistake but here is my take.

First impression.
It was strangely lit. Uneven lighting and dark in the back.

I was immediately approached by an associate asking if I had any questions about anything. My immediate thought on a 5 second profiling of this guy was “Not really anything you could educate me about, but thanks” but my words were, “No thank you, I’m browsing.”

Then I noticed the area with all the protein bars. BOGO. not bad. I may be returning to try out some bars. Oh, samples…

Samples!! Pockets filled. I notice a conversation of two associates and a heavier middle aged man. Yeah, I’m that guy. :D

"Testosterone boosters" my ears perked up. These guys were double-teaming (ha) this poor sap in the section marked “Testosterone Boosters”. He had two huge boxes of something in his hand, and the conversation moved along poorly. I think it was Neugenix. So, in this guys hands was $140 of useless garbage that may increase his libido, but I doubt it. Hell, Organic Maca for $15 would have done more I think. Nothing in this crap boosts testosterone.

(I was just bursting to tell this fool to just see an endo.) GTFO of there. Run. I remained silent because it was at least a nice boredom breaker and it wasn’t my place. Some might argue otherwise, and there was an internal monologue saying to do something, but in the end, it’s his life, his decisions, and I want to go back there to get some deals on protein bars. (Selfish) without making enemies with two of our towns obvious local idiots. Every town should have two. My luck, they were both in the same place. Pretty lucky.

Moving on:

This guy had to have been 270 and 5’8” and in poor shape. These boobs were talking about pre workouts and NO as if they just learned a few buzz words. One guy was still talking about a 3 month minimum cycle for the booster, and told the guy, your difference with this stuff is, your doctor would put you on Testosterone and that would be different because it’s external. (Not bad) but then he went on to say, this stuff boosts your natural testosterone, and to get the full effect you’d have to be on it for at least 3 months.

They touch on the word “Estrogen” but fall way short in explaining shyte, as well as Cortisol. It was a sales pitch and nothing related to taking care of the person in front of them. They hooked a fish, probably the only one of three for the day, so they were not going to let this sale slip by.

Boob #2 chimes in and starts talking about Pre Workouts, and the ‘sap’ says, “Well I did the triathlon last year…” and am looking for something to give me a boost in the gym. This continues where boob #2 says, you need Citrulline and Arginine. Citrulline is a precursor to (trails off) because he doesn’t have a clue what to say, while he walks the customer over to the section by me where he picked up a bottle of Arginine and hands it to the customer.

Are you kidding?
There could not have been a discussion about nutrition, and his needs based on goals prior to my getting there. If there was, I’m sure they faltered through it at the same astonishing rate they failed to explain exogenous testosterone and it’s effects. Are they trained to badmouth TRT so they can sell their quota of

As I walk around this very small store packed with mainly protein powders stacked to the ceiling and some big named items, otherwise bare with regard to anything related to a respectable supplement. I simply listen to this train wreck of a conversation.

This guy (customer) should probably be on TRT for life from his doctor. These idiots were leading him around, and talking nonsense. Boob #1 also once again asked me if I had any questions. I held myself back. I wanted to say, “Yeah, just one with several parts..” What makes you think you can answer any question I may have?

The shear nerve and ignorance displayed verges on criminal. They failed to educate their customer as to why he has achieved his current physique, and what steps he needs to adjust his lifestyle in conjunction with proper nutrition and some supplementation in order to aid him in his goals which were…. I have no idea, and neither do they.

I’m afraid for this guy. What are his lipids? E2 level, T? Does he have high blood pressure? What is his real experience in fitness? He was old and fat, and there is hardly a chance he finished that triathlon. I would chalk his mention of it in the face of these skinny; young braggarts to be misplaced machismo. Who could blame him? He walked into a place run by morons with some preconceived idea of what he thinks he needs, probably based on a late night commercial, and preloaded ignorance.

He was ripe for the picking. I’m not sure I feel sorry for him, but I walked out feeling sorry I walked in.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know what prompted my visit to the GNC near me. It was close to the Publix so I walked in. May have been a mistake but here is my take.

First impression.
It was strangely lit. Uneven lighting and dark in the back.

I was immediately approached by an associate asking if I had any questions about anything. My immediate thought on a 5 second profiling of this guy was “Not really anything you could educate me about, but thanks” but my words were, “No thank you, I’m browsing.”

Then I noticed the area with all the protein bars. BOGO. not bad. I may be returning to try out some bars. Oh, samples…

Samples!! Pockets filled. I notice a conversation of two associates and a heavier middle aged man. Yeah, I’m that guy. :D

"Testosterone boosters" my ears perked up. These guys were double-teaming (ha) this poor sap in the section marked “Testosterone Boosters”. He had two huge boxes of something in his hand, and the conversation moved along poorly. I think it was Neugenix. So, in this guys hands was $140 of useless garbage that may increase his libido, but I doubt it. Hell, Organic Maca for $15 would have done more I think. Nothing in this crap boosts testosterone.

(I was just bursting to tell this fool to just see an endo.) GTFO of there. Run. I remained silent because it was at least a nice boredom breaker and it wasn’t my place. Some might argue otherwise, and there was an internal monologue saying to do something, but in the end, it’s his life, his decisions, and I want to go back there to get some deals on protein bars. (Selfish) without making enemies with two of our towns obvious local idiots. Every town should have two. My luck, they were both in the same place. Pretty lucky.

Moving on:

This guy had to have been 270 and 5’8” and in poor shape. These boobs were talking about pre workouts and NO as if they just learned a few buzz words. One guy was still talking about a 3 month minimum cycle for the booster, and told the guy, your difference with this stuff is, your doctor would put you on Testosterone and that would be different because it’s external. (Not bad) but then he went on to say, this stuff boosts your natural testosterone, and to get the full effect you’d have to be on it for at least 3 months.

They touch on the word “Estrogen” but fall way short in explaining shyte, as well as Cortisol. It was a sales pitch and nothing related to taking care of the person in front of them. They hooked a fish, probably the only one of three for the day, so they were not going to let this sale slip by.

Boob #2 chimes in and starts talking about Pre Workouts, and the ‘sap’ says, “Well I did the triathlon last year…” and am looking for something to give me a boost in the gym. This continues where boob #2 says, you need Citrulline and Arginine. Citrulline is a precursor to (trails off) because he doesn’t have a clue what to say, while he walks the customer over to the section by me where he picked up a bottle of Arginine and hands it to the customer.

Are you kidding?
There could not have been a discussion about nutrition, and his needs based on goals prior to my getting there. If there was, I’m sure they faltered through it at the same astonishing rate they failed to explain exogenous testosterone and it’s effects. Are they trained to badmouth TRT so they can sell their quota of

As I walk around this very small store packed with mainly protein powders stacked to the ceiling and some big named items, otherwise bare with regard to anything related to a respectable supplement. I simply listen to this train wreck of a conversation.

This guy (customer) should probably be on TRT for life from his doctor. These idiots were leading him around, and talking nonsense. Boob #1 also once again asked me if I had any questions. I held myself back. I wanted to say, “Yeah, just one with several parts..” What makes you think you can answer any question I may have?

The shear nerve and ignorance displayed verges on criminal. They failed to educate their customer as to why he has achieved his current physique, and what steps he needs to adjust his lifestyle in conjunction with proper nutrition and some supplementation in order to aid him in his goals which were…. I have no idea, and neither do they.

I’m afraid for this guy. What are his lipids? E2 level, T? Does he have high blood pressure? What is his real experience in fitness? He was old and fat, and there is hardly a chance he finished that triathlon. I would chalk his mention of it in the face of these skinny; young braggarts to be misplaced machismo. Who could blame him? He walked into a place run by morons with some preconceived idea of what he thinks he needs, probably based on a late night commercial, and preloaded ignorance.

He was ripe for the picking. I’m not sure I feel sorry for him, but I walked out feeling sorry I walked in.
This really and rightly needs to be put in the anger release forum!! All GNCs are about the same. Some 20 year old kid that reads the que cards when you walk in, ask him a legitimately educated question, hes screwed.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That was like reading a Stephen king thriller
Would read to grand kids

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's a hobby of mine. I've ghost written quite a few things. :D
Your comment made my day a little better. Thank you!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've met some fairly knowledgeable people working there over the years, but they were few and far between. I'm more curious how they've stayed in business once internet stores became more of an option.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've met some fairly knowledgeable people working there over the years, but they were few and far between. I'm more curious how they've stayed in business once internet stores became more of an option.
A lot of people still buy their supplements in person. For a lot of people, perhaps the plethora of options online (both the number of websites and products on each website) can seem daunting, and by going into a store, they can simply have someone recommend one or two products to them instead of doing any real research.

I prefer VS to GNC, if only because there is no commission, which allows the employees to actually recommend (or not recommend) products based on what will benefit the customer most, not what will put a few more dollars in their pockets. They actually both have a somewhat decent selection of products, although they are more expensive than ordering online (VS tends to be cheaper than GNC though); the problem is that the employees often don't recommend the better/effective products.

Some of the things I've heard employees say in these stores is absolutely laughable, but some people actually know their stuff.

What I find even more bothersome than someone giving BS recommendations in GNC is when it's a local supplement shop. There's this one supplement shop near me that has somehow developed a reputation as a "good" store with an educated/smart/knowledgeable owner, but this is clearly not the case in reality. I went in to check what all the hype was about one day, and started talking to the owner about supplements. First, he recommends 10g/day creatine (not for loading, which is unnecessary, but for regular use), then I mentioned betaine anhydrous (TMG), and he goes on about how it's good for digestion (that's the wrong betaine). We then moved onto pre-workout discussion, and he pointed out some pre-workouts that he said were great, and they were horribly under-dosed. I politely pointed out this out to him, and he told me, essentially, that studies and textbooks are useless in the real world, that I'm "too smart for my own good," and the only way to tell if a pre-workout is good is to try it. I know that different ingredients/products effect people differently, but I don't need to waste $50 on a tub of pre-workout to tell you that <1g citrulline malate and arginine isn't going to give me a good pump.

Anyway, that's my supplement store rant.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I remember the first time I went into an independently owned supplement shop after having shopped in GNCs for years as a teen. I was blown away by the cheap prices. I thought it was a mistake at first lol

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I almost worked at a GNC and a Supp shop down the street. GNC is bull****, I haven't been in there in a long ass time. Supp shop down the street I visited had prohormones lining the walls but no PCT or on cycle support products. So I got given an application and when I asked why they were selling Pros but no cycle support or PCT they said it wasn't nesseary with these prohormones. I left mid sentence and threw my application in the trash on the way out.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I almost worked at a GNC and a Supp shop down the street. GNC is bull****, I haven't been in there in a long ass time. Supp shop down the street I visited had prohormones lining the walls but no PCT or on cycle support products. So I got given an application and when I asked why they were selling Pros but no cycle support or PCT they said it wasn't nesseary with these prohormones. I left mid sentence and threw my application in the trash on the way out.
Wow. You would think that since they were selling the PH's, they would sell ai's and cycle support at the very least. I mean, that's more profit each time someone buys a PH. I just don't understand some people.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been in a few smaller shops like that where the owner claimed to know what they were selling, but didn't think anybody needed a PCT with it. I'm afraid to know how many people have run cycles, not knowing any better

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If my GNC had free samples I'd go every day ?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If my GNC had free samples I'd go every day &#55357;&#56853;
It's been several years since I've been inside one, but the ones I used to visit only had chewable vitamin free samples. Nothing very exciting lol, but that might have changed.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's been several years since I've been inside one, but the ones I used to visit only had chewable vitamin free samples. Nothing very exciting lol, but that might have changed.
I vaugly remember those lol weren't the best tasting imo

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
GNC sells a mega **** ton of product. It's still the entry point for most consumers. Remember, it's a front of store, back of store deal. Local supplement shops won't come close to having the herbs and individual items that GNC does. Vitamin shoppe does well, but dwarfed by GNC in terms of volume. Online retail shops, minus amazon, are getting killed right now. Nobody knows how to compete with them and nobody is going to figure it out. Only those serving international markets properly are surviving. Wouldn't be shocked to see half of the independent online stores go out of business in the next 18 months.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GNC sells a mega **** ton of product. It's still the entry point for most consumers. Remember, it's a front of store, back of store deal. Local supplement shops won't come close to having the herbs and individual items that GNC does. Vitamin shoppe does well, but dwarfed by GNC in terms of volume. Online retail shops, minus amazon, are getting killed right now. Nobody knows how to compete with them and nobody is going to figure it out. Only those serving international markets properly are surviving. Wouldn't be shocked to see half of the independent online stores go out of business in the next 18 months.
Even though, GNC NEVER cares magnesium citrate, only oxide. They also only carry Zinc oxide. Their selection sucks. All their protein powder is way over priced chemical infused garbage. I despise GNC, especially because they are all over the place. The closest Vitamin Shoppe is a 20 minute drive to the city. Luckily there is a Vitamin World within short driving distance. That is the only place close, other than Vitamin Shoppe that actually carries citrate.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, GNC doesn't carry DHEA products and if they did they would be garbage as well.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nothing has changed. They still hire morons and have chewable vitamin samples. Their "deals" are still above retail pricing.

Garbage. Utter garbage.
I will never go to one again. The online scene and deals we get are far too good!!!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothing has changed. They still hire morons and have chewable vitamin samples. Their "deals" are still above retail pricing.

Garbage. Utter garbage.
I will never go to one again. The online scene and deals we get are far too good!!!
Yup, when is the last time you've seen GNC stock something like Dermacrine?

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Yup, when is the last time you've seen GNC stock something like Dermacrine?
Most companies can't afford to be distributed by GNC. It's not that GNC doesn't want to carry them, the companies simply can't afford it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've heard this and have no idea how it can be true. They don't carry ****, the stores are always empty, the staff is clueless, and they are very over priced. So who is shopping there and how can they be bigger than the competition? I am certain that online retail is going to eventually put brick and mortar out of business- it only makes business sense.

I swear sometimes I would think about running in out of convenience and then think about the fact that I will be the only one in there and the kid working there will try to talk to me about something he knows nothing about or follow me trying to sell crap. So I cringe and go the inconvenient route.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is no way GNC will put the big online sites out of business. Nutri-Verse; Nutraplanet, and TGF to name a few, are just too solid and they carry quality options.

- Their customer service is better.
- The people are far more knowledgeable.
- The prices are best.
- Just as convenient if not more if you pan ahead.
- They take care of, understand, and help their customer base.

Screw GNC. They hire wannabe douchebags.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've heard this and have no idea how it can be true. They don't carry ****, the stores are always empty, the staff is clueless, and they are very over priced. So who is shopping there and how can they be bigger than the competition? I am certain that online retail is going to eventually put brick and mortar out of business- it only makes business sense.

I swear sometimes I would think about running in out of convenience and then think about the fact that I will be the only one in there and the kid working there will try to talk to me about something he knows nothing about or follow me trying to sell crap. So I cringe and go the inconvenient route.
Couldn't agree more. Look at bookstores as an example. Local small ones mostly went awat a long time ago and left Borders and Barnes & Noble to fight it out with Borders losing. To me it wasn't a huge surprise as the Borders I used to go in were complete chaos and nobody seemed to have a clue there. Same with Circuit City and Best Buy with Circuit City losing, again not a huge surprise because again, complete chaos and cluelessness. I feel like GNC has gotten lazy and let other options like Vitamin Shoppe pull ahead. Online sales will continue to pull sales away from all of them, but some people will still want to go to an actual store and look around which will leave enough demand for one or the other, but not both and I'm not betting on GNC.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I need magnesium, or zinc, I goto Vitamin World.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
None of you are gnc's target consumer. You're already dedicated enough to be on this board. Gnc made a pricing error on our product. We had been in Gnc for awhile, they accidentally raised the price 10 dollars on a 30 serve. We are now up 600% in GNC this year. Wrap your head around that.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
None of you are gnc's target consumer. You're already dedicated enough to be on this board. Gnc made a pricing error on our product. We had been in Gnc for awhile, they accidentally raised the price 10 dollars on a 30 serve. We are now up 600% in GNC this year. Wrap your head around that.
What product?

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Yes, xtend. The GNC dynamic is just different, that's why a brand like performix with 80 dollar sku's kills it

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Yes, xtend. The GNC dynamic is just different, that's why a brand like performix with 80 dollar sku's kills it
Man I went into Vitaminshop the other day in Jackson and a bottle of Cordygen was about $50. Nutrishop is the only store ill shop at. Everything is price matched to online stores and they actually carry legit products and brands.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
We've all been to gnc and bought something tho, it's like a gateway for lifters. That's why they are still in business

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I am not sure where some of this information is coming from regarding the success of GNC at this point. It doesn't take much research to see that they have not only stalled, but are losing revenue and business at a pretty high rate. They have pissed off franchisees and people have taken notice of the overpriced, low selection in the stores. The management of the franchises appears to be a big factor too. Obviously the market also has notice as the only bump in their stock was when the buyout rumors were happening and when that fizzled, it dropped again.

I would hope the decline continues and they either go out of business or are forced to merge with a better company.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm not going to wish ill on the company cause there's a lot of people's lives that depend on the company like franchise owners etc. I hope GNC changes its ways soon tho.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm not going to wish ill on the company cause there's a lot of people's lives that depend on the company like franchise owners etc. I hope GNC changes its ways soon tho.
Yeah. It's self harming also to wish ill on others.

I'm liking your way of thinking.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have Trump buy it and rename it Trump Supplements? "Make America Fit Again!"

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have Trump buy it and rename it Trump Supplements? "Make America Fit Again!"
So he could declare bankruptcy and leave without paying anyone?

Sounds like a good plan to sink them like he just did to the GOP.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So he could declare bankruptcy and leave without paying anyone?

Sounds like a good plan to sink them like he just did to the GOP.
He didn't think the GOP, the GOP sunk themselves along time ago.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He didn't think the GOP, the GOP sunk themselves along time ago.
True but he just put a cap on it by running as one.

I think I just got sucked into the Trump vortex. Lol. Cannot wait until this election is over.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
True but he just put a cap on it by running as one.

I think I just got sucked into the Trump vortex. Lol. Cannot wait until this election is over.
Better him, than the whore of Saudi Arabia. See, I see Trump as a transition. He'll do a lot, or at least some good things like getting us out of the UN. I support him, but I don't see him as the absolute solution, but as a step in the right direction despite his flaws. Not everything good can happen all at once, after all.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No mas.