Round exploded in my face today

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
So I was getting my weekly firearm therapy, lol SFreed , loaded and chambered a round in my 7mm Rem Mag. I pull the trigger and the damn thing explodes in my face. Literally. Fccking painful lol.

Powder blew out around the bolt into my right cheek directly under my eye.

Apparently my grandpa had accidently put the .270 rounds in the 7mm Rem Mag box. Damn near blew the bolt out of my rifle.
bighulksmash You'd get a kick out of this lol.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bad deal man. Hope there's no serious injuries. Had an acquaintance who lost his eye due to being an idiot who reloaded his own ammo without the necessary skills. Here's to hoping you don't develop a serious flinch now!

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Bad deal man. Hope there's no serious injuries. Had an acquaintance who lost his eye due to being an idiot who reloaded his own ammo without the necessary skills. Here's to hoping you don't develop a serious flinch now!
Haha I'll post the pic for you. Man I hope I don't get a twitch or flinch now.

Thanks bro

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Apparently pics were too gruesome to be left up!

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Apparently pics were too gruesome to be left up!
Lmfao they weren't at all. Basically have decent amount of powder burn all around my right cheek.

The casing was split from the cap around about 2/3 and down the casing about 3/4 of the way.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Shiiittttt! Brandinooooo, whatcha hunting this year?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Nice.. I'm after elk this year myself. Might pop a deer too if a decent one jumps in the yard.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A bit off topic, but my favorite deer rifle is chambered in 25/06. Love that cartridge for deer. However, here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois we're not allowed to use a rifle on deer, so my 44mag Ruger Blackhawk is my firearm of choice.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A bit off topic, but my favorite deer rifle is chambered in 25/06. Love that cartridge for deer. However, here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois we're not allowed to use a rifle on deer, so my 44mag Ruger Blackhawk is my firearm of choice.
No rifle? Wth is wrong with your state government?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's one of the most f'ed up states there is. Mainly because of Chicago and Cook County. No rifle hunting for deer, but you can use a black powder rifle. You can use a rifle for coyotes pretty much any time of the year except for deer season. And no CCW until two years ago. All part of the reason why I still have Missouri DL and CCW. Illinois can suck a big fat one.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Wow. Thats crazy. I would've gotten a fat ticket from F&G lol.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow. Thats crazy. I would've gotten a fat ticket from F&G lol.
You have no idea. The stories I could tell regarding my youth and the Illinois Dept of Conservation

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's one of the most f'ed up states there is. Mainly because of Chicago and Cook County. No rifle hunting for deer, but you can use a black powder rifle. You can use a rifle for coyotes pretty much any time of the year except for deer season. And no CCW until two years ago. All part of the reason why I still have Missouri DL and CCW. Illinois can suck a big fat one.
Damn right they can

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to bring my S&W Backpacker 500 hunting for deer lmao.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is there a limit to Pistol caliber for hunting?
There's a limit going small, but not large. I had a 454 Casull for a while (zero fun to shoot), and a friend currently is using an MRI BFR .500 S&W, which is a total beast of a revolver, but also kicks less than some of my 44 mag loads. The almost 5 1/2 pounds it weighs tames that 500 quite a bit.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
There's a limit going small, but not large. I had a 454 Casull for a while (zero fun to shoot), and a friend currently is using an MRI BFR .500 S&W, which is a total beast of a revolver, but also kicks less than some of my 44 mag loads. The almost 5 1/2 pounds it weighs tames that 500 quite a bit.
Haha my 500 is a 4inch so the kick is insane. Its for grizzly though.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I'm up in your neighborhood I prefer a 18" barrel 12 gauge and slugs for bear. Actually have never had any issues with bears, but I did have an interesting time with a moose once.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
When I'm up in your neighborhood I prefer a 18" barrel 12 gauge and slugs for bear. Actually have never had any issues with bears, but I did have an interesting time with a moose once.
Bear I don't worry about. Its the super territorial moose that I worry about. Been chased too many times lol.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Yep 18.5 somehow the .5 got changed in my post
And 4" 500 has to be a beater! Can't imagine spending much time shooting that at the range
I don't lol. I have to brace my right wrist with my left hand when I shoot it. Still hurts after that.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bought a Ruger LCR 357 for a carry gun when I lived in Missouri. 17 ounces 357 also makes for a no fun gun. Less than 50 rounds through it and I sold it. My hand hurt for 3 days

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I bought a Ruger LCR 357 for a carry gun when I lived in Missouri. 17 ounces 357 also makes for a no fun gun. Less than 50 rounds through it and I sold it. My hand hurt for 3 days
I bet hahaha. Thats a lot of kick for something that weighs just over a lb.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established

Elk Fajitas

This thread made me hungry for some game. Yeah Brandinooooo, I know you're into cooking, l'll shoot this recipe over to ya if your interested.. Its the bomb sh1t right here

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established

Elk Fajitas

This thread made me hungry for some game. Yeah Brandinooooo, I know you're into cooking, l'll shoot this recipe over to ya if your interested.. Its the bomb sh1t right here
Please do. That looks amazing. I'll see if I have any caribou here and make it with that since elk and deer are similar.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Swap those green peppers out for red an I'm in. Can't do green peppers. Will eat just about anything except green peppers

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Swap those green peppers out for red an I'm in. Can't do green peppers. Will eat just about anything except green peppers
Switch out green for red, orange and yellow :). I do like green though

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Fajita Recipe:

1-2 lbs beef skirt steak (can substitute for elk, deer, etc.) DONT cut into slices till after you cook it.

1 yellow onion

1 green, 2 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange bell pepper

Pico de gallo recipe:

2 tomatoes

2 fresh jalapeño peppers

1 red onion

1 fresh lime

1 bunch fresh cilantro

You can use any red meat you want for this, but if using beef, get skirt steak.. Fajitas actually mean "little skirts," which refers to this cut of meat... If using chicken, add 1 tablespoon of honey to the marinade recipe below.

Marinade:

1 bottle of Worcestershire Sauce

2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil

1/2 squeezed fresh lime (save the other half for the pico de gallo recipe below)

2 tbsp Wrights Liquid Smoke (Hickory)

2 tbsp cumin

1 tbsp cayenne

1 tbsp chili powder

3 cloves of pressed garlic

Add the ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix and pour into a 1 gal freezer bag to cover the meat. Let the air out of the bag and place bag in the mixing bowl and refrigerate for a min of 4 hrs. You will need to use the marinade and bowl for the veggies later.

Make the pico de gallo (translates as "c@ck of the roster") and refrigerate:

Dice 2 tomatoes, 1 red onion, 1 fresh jalapeño, and 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro. Mix and squeeze 1/2 lime. Salt to taste, refrigerate.

To cook, preheat the grill as hot as you can get it. Take the meat out of the marinade and place the marinade back in the mixing bowl, cut up the onions and bell peppers and throw in the marinade. Set aside.

When the grill is to temp, grill the meat on rare side (~2mins per side/ 6mins per side for chicken breast). Before I throw the meat on the grill, I heat up a couple tbsp of canola oil in a large cast iron skillet and get it as hot as I can on the stove top.

Once the meat is done, I let it rest for a few mins while I cook the veggies on the skillet. Allow the peps and onions to char and caramelize, sometimes I'll toss in some of the marinade if it looks too dry.

Slice the skirt steak at a 45 degree angle (this will help tenderize the meat).. Add to the skillet when the veggies are about done, and toss on the stove top for a min.

Remove the skillet from the heat and let the veggies and meat continue to sizzle in the pan as you heat your flour tortillas up.

Make your fajitas an add top with the pic de gallo.. Add shredded cheddar, sour cream, guacamole if it's in your macro budget. Eat the sh1t out of them.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last sentence is awesome!

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
SFreed I got it checked out and its fine. So I ran 10 rounds through it. Nervous as fcck the first 4 but I got it under control. Had a 5 inch spread @ 120 yards the first 4 which is horrible for me. Then the last 6 I got over my d@mn nerves and got it back to normal; 2 inch spread @ 120 yards.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SFreed I got it checked out and its fine. So I ran 10 rounds through it. Nervous as fcck the first 4 but I got it under control. Had a 5 inch spread @ 120 yards the first 4 which is horrible for me. Then the last 6 I got over my d@mn nerves and got it back to normal; 2 inch spread @ 120 yards.
I'll bet you were nervous, I would have been! And ended up well under Minute of Deer! Good deal

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I'll bet you were nervous, I would have been! And ended up well under Minute of Deer! Good deal
Yeah I was. I've never been nervous like that lol. But I feel better now.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
We were testing out some experimental ammo about a year ago with a 9.3x64 Brenekke and the same type of thing happened. Glad you're okay man.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
We were testing out some experimental ammo about a year ago with a 9.3x64 Brenekke and the same type of thing happened. Glad you're okay man.
Thanks.

Wow, that's a big round.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. What weapon did you have chambered for it? Certainly don't see a lot of 9.3 rifles around. 30/06ish, slightly larger if memory serves (and my memory isn't that great these days)

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. What weapon did you have chambered for it? Certainly don't see a lot of 9.3 rifles around. 30/06ish, slightly larger if memory serves (and my memory isn't that great these days)
It's the German version of a 375. I can't really remember what or why it happened. I let my cousin load it if memory serves. I think he put in the wrong type of powder. It shoots perfect now. It's only used for bush hunting now, but can still shoot ,give or take, an inch grouping in 200 meters.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
No wait. It was a new type of round we were testing and it didn't seal properly. Ended up blasting me with hot powder.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Just to give you an idea, we use a 250gr bullet at 2400-2500fps for accuracy while hunting.