Is it just Az or people in warmer climates in general?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just moved from Ny to Az and noticed that 99% of the people at my gym here have big arms, and upper bodies, but have stick legs.. Do these people just want to get their arms big because it is summer all year round? I dont get it, also seems there are far less hardcore lifters, and most of the guys who are big, think it is a fashion show and wear like ripped jean shorts and ridiculous shirts..

Lastly back home most of the big guys i knew would always stay relativly coverd up, either long sleeve t's, or t's with sleeves that came down past the Bi. Here EVERYONE (cept one hardcore dude)wears tank tops, i feel out of place when i wear a long sleeve tshirt, or even a regular t shirt..

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, its anywhere that has a warm climate. In Florida its tank top heaven. I wore them a lot about 6 months ago but now I go for the large T-shirts just to go against the trend. I'm such a rebel

:lol:

BTW- I got your PM and will check it in the morning. Not at home right now.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I like to wear those big T-shirts too. I usually go to the local Kaufmanns' and buy up all their Rocawear and Encye clearance shirts. Nobody ever buys the XXL ones as they're just way too big for the normal person's dimensions. They're in a way casual as they look nice, but not uncomfortable as we all know how hard it is at times to find bigger fitting shirts that don't look like tablecloths...lol.

When it gets REALLY hot here in the summer, I'll opt to wear a nicer looking tank top with an acceptable pair of cargo shorts or something if I'm going out in public. If I'm just staying in, it';s the boxers and nothing else....anyways, that's my review of this years' summer fashion..lol.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I live in Florida too where the weather is perfect for tank tops. I don't sport em just because...well... my arms are twigs :sad:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I swear if i could get pics of some of these guys it would make for some funny materal.. I mean one guy wears sleeveless dress shirt things with like ripped cut off jean shorts, i mean this is not a fashion show. I am just in kinda culture shock i guess, the east is so much different..

I will say there is some smoking hot fitness chicks and many of milfs, it is kinda distracting..

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
funny you say this, my friends at Arizona State say so many juiceheads dont train legs and get super top heavy there.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, an AZ thing. lol

Despite the intense heat I still think there are an inordinate number of obese people in Phoenix...I lived there for 7 years now I'm in northern AZ which would give you even greater culture shock.

In AZ (and a brazen generalization if I may) Dudes that workout are all concerned about having guns too look cool on their Harleys. I guess having skinny legs in leather pants is cool while being all top heavy.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yuck i couldnt leave the house if i looked that way.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
I'm in PHX.. your intuitions are correct.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, an AZ thing. lol

Despite the intense heat I still think there are an inordinate number of obese people in Phoenix...I lived there for 7 years now I'm in northern AZ which would give you even greater culture shock.

In AZ (and a brazen generalization if I may) Dudes that workout are all concerned about having guns too look cool on their Harleys. I guess having skinny legs in leather pants is cool while being all top heavy.
Man i hope i don't turn into one of em..haha

ANother thing is at my gym(golds) they don't seem to have any accesories like a belt for weighted dips, pad for your neck when squatting, etc..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That's always a bad sign. My spa-gym doesn't even have a real dip station..just one of those assisted machine deals and you can't move the foot rest out of the way. It does however have a trapbar deadlift much to my suprise and delight.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's always a bad sign. My spa-gym doesn't even have a real dip station..just one of those assisted machine deals and you can't move the foot rest out of the way. It does however have a trapbar deadlift much to my suprise and delight.
Ya tell me about it, i miss my weighted dips.. i am about to just buy my own belt, and pad for my neck..

FOr your dip machine, cant you just put a 45plate on the foot rest to make it go all the way to the floor and hold it there so you can do dips?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just one of those assisted machine deals and you can't move the foot rest out of the way.
Have you ever tried putting a 45-lb plate on the foot-rest to get it down? Just curious b/c thats what I do.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
Ya tell me about it, i miss my weighted dips.. i am about to just buy my own belt, and pad for my neck..

FOr your dip machine, cant you just put a 45plate on the foot rest to make it go all the way to the floor and hold it there so you can do dips?
ARe you in the valley? If so, all the Golds out here do have belts, at a couple of them you need to ask the desk people aka the 12 year old kids who think they are IFBB Pros...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ARe you in the valley? If so, all the Golds out here do have belts, at a couple of them you need to ask the desk people aka the 12 year old kids who think they are IFBB Pros...
Yea, i go to the golds on baseline and gilbert.. You from around here? I will try asking them, even though i would rather not even have to talk to them, they will probally tell me that weighted dips are pointless, and i need to do more curls, and flat bench..

It is weird i have only seen the squat rack used by the one hardcore looking guy, i have NEVER seen anyone one else squat.. The leg press gets used however..

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
Yea, i go to the golds on baseline and gilbert.. You from around here? I will try asking them, even though i would rather not even have to talk to them, they will probally tell me that weighted dips are pointless, and i need to do more curls, and flat bench..

It is weird i have only seen the squat rack used by the one hardcore looking guy, i have NEVER seen anyone one else squat.. The leg press gets used however..
LOL!

Yeah I do my cardio at that gym or the one on I-10 and Elliot usually. I do my workouts at the one in Scottsdale b/c it's a lot closer to where I work.

Just stay away from those Beyond Fitness idiots... Ugh.......

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna take some for this, 'cause some of you guys like this kind of stuff, but check it out. The guys who really look impressive to me (and I'm guessing others too) are the guys who are big, cut, in shape, etc. of course, but not the guys who wear the Richard Simmons gear. The guys who look really good look good UNDER their shirts. Dressed cool, styling and appropriately sized gear, but not over the top slinky shred-tanks and skin-tight or whatever, or even the 24/7 tank top. I know there will be anger and disagreement, but sometimes it simply looks freaking rediculous! Especially the bright dayglo spandex stuff that's supposed to (I guess) really highlight the serious muscular development and so on. If you got muscle, it shows anyway. You don't have to dress up like a clown to get props for your hours logged in the gym.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
It is weird i have only seen the squat rack used by the one hardcore looking guy, i have NEVER seen anyone one else squat..
At least you can get to it. At my gym, I gotta get my squats in between morons doing barbell curls. We got 4 squat racks...at any given time, 1-3 are used for BB curls.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna take some for this, 'cause some of you guys like this kind of stuff, but check it out. The guys who really look impressive to me (and I'm guessing others too) are the guys who are big, cut, in shape, etc. of course, but not the guys who wear the Richard Simmons gear. The guys who look really good look good UNDER their shirts. Dressed cool, styling and appropriately sized gear, but not over the top slinky shred-tanks and skin-tight or whatever, or even the 24/7 tank top. I know there will be anger and disagreement, but sometimes it simply looks freaking rediculous! Especially the bright dayglo spandex stuff that's supposed to (I guess) really highlight the serious muscular development and so on. If you got muscle, it shows anyway. You don't have to dress up like a clown to get props for your hours logged in the gym.
Yup that was half the point of the thread.. It is ridiculous! I sometimes feel like i am walking around in a HUGE gym full of the sterotype that i hate being classified as..

It is bad enough i have to drive 30 min to get to the gym, then i have to deal with **** like that..LOL

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
I mean one guy wears sleeveless dress shirt things with like ripped cut off jean shorts, i mean this is not a fashion show..
I wouldn't call that fashionable. Um, you sure he's straight?

Reminds of a time I made the mistake of using the 24 Hour Fitness in West Hollywood...NOT a place to go for a serious workout and NOT a place to ever enter the locker room. I'll say no more, but you get the picture.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
same is true of the Chelsea district of New York city. I didn't see it coming (not literally!)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established

That's good idea. I didn't even think about it..I was too busy sneering at the thing. lol

Good to see a collection of AZ bros here. I'm in the Verde Valley.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's good idea. I didn't even think about it..I was too busy sneering at the thing. lol

Good to see a collection of AZ bros here. I'm in the Verde Valley.
I have no clue where that is..LOL i just got here 2 fridays ago.. I am in queen creek, like 10 min from Mesa..

az2u

Awards
Hi imprezivr6,

You might want to check out 24 Hour Fitness on the SE corner of Val Vista and Elliot. It's a little closer to Queen Creek.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hi imprezivr6,

You might want to check out 24 Hour Fitness on the SE corner of Val Vista and Elliot. It's a little closer to Queen Creek.
Do you go there? I think i am locked into a year at golds:( My mom lives on Val Vista and Guadalupe so it is probally not to far from her.. I will check it out..

az2u

Awards
Do you go there? I think i am locked into a year at golds:( My mom lives on Val Vista and Guadalupe so it is probally not to far from her.. I will check it out..
Yes I work out there. 24 Hour Fitness is only a mile south of where your mom lives.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
I'm not a big fan of the 24 hour fitnesses out here. JMO though. Too Hollywood for me.

imprezivr6 - If you live in Queen Creek, you are extremely close to where I live. I wish they would build a Golds over here. The actual closest one to me is the Mesa one but it's 100% Ghetto. Then again, I hate Mesa in general.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
North of Phoenix about 80 miles. I live on the outskirts of Sedona. I wish to hell a Gold's Gym would open here..ooh it pains me to think of it! lol

knox

Awards
  • Established
Looking back it makes perfect sense that a AZ dude was lifting at my gym last year in Kansas City. He'd come in with a curly mullet, tight PINK spandex, a XXXL purple beater, wrist bands/head band all the works, a gold braclet chain, and to top it off---army boots. He was my favorite person in the whole world. No matter how shitty of a day I had, he was always there bringing a smile to my face.:wave:

az2u

Awards
I'm not a big fan of the 24 hour fitnesses out here. JMO though. Too Hollywood for me.

imprezivr6 - If you live in Queen Creek, you are extremely close to where I live. I wish they would build a Golds over here. The actual closest one to me is the Mesa one but it's 100% Ghetto. Then again, I hate Mesa in general.
Not too long ago both World Gyms closed down in Gilbert so the 24 Hour where I work out has become busier. I was talking to a guy in the gym who lived in QC and he said there's plans for a 24 Hour to be built near Power and Queen Creek Rd. I'll believe it when I see it.

coofoostu

Awards
I go to worldgym in scottsdale, theres a few of the guys you're talking about. If you want to see a ton of topheavy guys, go to pure fitness, Ive only seen one person other than myself through working out for about 4 months at pure fitness do squats.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I live in South Florida and everybody besides me is gay. I never have to worry about my Wife cheating. Anyway - gay men are quite a bit more fashionable than straight men. At least in most cases. Mostly everybody in my gym is practically dressed for a club. I go to LA Fitness.. The other gyms near me are horrible.. The Gold's Gym is the size of a small bathroom. There aren't many big guys aren't here either. I moved down here from New York a year ago. In New York, even babies are big...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Where do you live?

I was thinking when i first moved here i shoud open a gym, driving 20-30min for a half assed gym is ridiculous..

Only prob is, if i opened a more hardcore gym i bet no one would go, it seems like you have to decorate the gym in fruity colors, and have MTV blasting throughout the gym in order for it to do well:(

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I live in South Florida and everybody besides me is gay. I never have to worry about my Wife cheating. Anyway - gay men are quite a bit more fashionable than straight men. At least in most cases. Mostly everybody in my gym is practically dressed for a club. I go to LA Fitness.. The other gyms near me are horrible.. The Gold's Gym is the size of a small bathroom. There aren't many big guys aren't here either. I moved down here from New York a year ago. In New York, even babies are big...

That's too bad, I'm guessing you are in the South East part of Florida...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Yes. West Palm Beach.. You should see South Beach, though.. heh

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yuck, i can imagine. The gym music is probably clubbing music too.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
It's Cindi Lauper and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". It's all pink. Madonna.. Ru Paul.

hehe. Just kidding. You think I'd train there?! :p

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
World gym is, imo, the best gym here in AZ. I work out in the Glendale one and its not full of posers and actually most of the regulars work legs. In fact the other day was my leg workout and all the machines i use were in use! I think it just depends on where you workout at. I used to do the LA fitness thing and it was a world of difference switching from a health club that called themselves a gym to an actual gym. Somewhere the weights actually outnumber the cardio section!

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
World gym is, imo, the best gym here in AZ. I work out in the Glendale one and its not full of posers and actually most of the regulars work legs. In fact the other day was my leg workout and all the machines i use were in use! I think it just depends on where you workout at. I used to do the LA fitness thing and it was a world of difference switching from a health club that called themselves a gym to an actual gym. Somewhere the weights actually outnumber the cardio section!
OH GOD! LA FITNESS. That's the biggest Hollywood gym out here. I can't stand that place. Reminds me of the gym Ben Stiller owned in Dodgeball lol.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where is that one?

3v1l

3v1l

Awards
World gym is at 45th ave and bell road. Mind or not it has altered my workouts too. I feel like I can concentrate better and am more focused. Where are you at?