My gym ditched real plates for fake ones, what do I do?

AllTheGainz

Awards
Just as I thought my gym switched from solid metal plates to fake ass wanna be cross fit plates. This is like a category 1 disaster guys what do I do?

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Hahahaha are there other gyms in your area?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does it matter? I mean, it shouldn't affect your lifts if they're the right size.

JP10

JP10

Awards
Yes but this is my school gym so it's free to go there.

You can't put as many on the leg press machine or bars now. They take up like 3x the space.
Sounds like you have to deal with it, or buy a membership somewhere lol. I hate the thick crossfit plates, the thinner ones are manageable, but I see your problem with the leg press.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Sounds like you have to deal with it, or buy a membership somewhere lol. I hate the thick crossfit plates, the thinner ones are manageable, but I see your problem with the leg press.
Might have to get a membership somewhere else, ****in blows, I'm not even that big.

JP10

JP10

Awards
Might have to get a membership somewhere else, ****in blows, I'm not even that big.
Yea it sucks, but check out the local gyms. The gyms around my school offer student memberships which are a lot cheaper then the regular ones.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Yea it sucks, but check out the local gyms. The gyms around my school offer student memberships which are a lot cheaper then the regular ones.
There's only really a golds near me (and a planet fatness but that doesn't count). Hive to see the membership prices

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
You're gonna need to run a PCT now! Don't wait. The estrogen spike from those fake plates is like using soy protein powders!!! God Speed.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your current maxes (don't give me a leg press max either, leg press is dumb)

AllTheGainz

Awards
What are your current maxes (don't give me a leg press max either, leg press is dumb)
I've been out due to injury so I'll give you my before injury and now lifts
Squat:
Pre:315
Now:225

Bench
Pre: 230
Now 170

Deadlift
Pre: 405
Now: 225

So while I won't be filling the bar up in the next few weeks, I expect to be sometime in the near future.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Even at your highest past lift, 405,

It would really not fit the bar?

I need to see a photo lol.
This would be tragic though, if anyone in your gym was lifting more than a bar will now hold.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Even at your highest past lift, 405,

It would really not fit the bar?

I need to see a photo lol.
This would be tragic though, if anyone in your gym was lifting more than a bar will now hold.
I **** you not, I'm 95% positive the bar can only hold 4 plates each side now which puts you at 405

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I **** you not, I'm 95% positive the bar can only hold 4 plates each side now which puts you at 405

If it's the same plates I'm thinking of, we have them here and I was able to fit 4 on each with the clip. Depends on the clip though.

Will be when I get back to where I was. They also ditched all the dumbells over 80 lbs
We only have up to 50lb....So I feel your pain.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will be when I get back to where I was. They also ditched all the dumbells over 80 lbs
Only thing at that level is deadlifts and pulling heavy singles constantly is the worst thing to build your deadlift.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Only thing at that level is deadlifts and pulling heavy singles constantly is the worst thing to build your deadlift.
This...

And for the leg press, just switch to single leg. You won't need anywhere near the weight.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why would a gym get rid of heavier dumbbells (unless they were somehow falling apart and they just didn't feel like replacing them)? That's stupid IMO.

AllTheGainz

Awards
No that's entirely true, but I don't plan on hitting 405 again and then quitting and never trying for higher weight.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Why would a gym get rid of heavier dumbbells (unless they were somehow falling apart and they just didn't feel like replacing them)? That's stupid IMO.
Apparently they "made too much noise" and "nobody ever used them" even tho I know I was using the 100s to rep out some some DB rows a little while ago

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Apparently they "made too much noise" and "nobody ever used them" even tho I know I was using the 100s to rep out some some DB rows a little while ago
If they made too much noise, I'd assume people used them, haha. Either that or they are possessed/haunted or sentient weights.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just as I thought my gym switched from solid metal plates to fake ass wanna be cross fit plates. This is like a category 1 disaster guys what do I do?
Do fake reps bro!

LOL bumper plates are far superior man. You have no idea what you're talking about hahahaha

For squatting though, they have no iron? I'm assuming, if you're squatting over 400 and they only have the thick bumper plates and not oly plates, then you're in trouble. Otherwise, being able to drop the bar is a good thing.

AllTheGainz

Awards
If they made too much noise, I'd assume people used them, haha. Either that or they are possessed/haunted or sentient weights.
Haha this made me chuckle. Idk why they get rid of the heavy weights when they are the only ones that don't end up stolen in 4 months

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do fake reps bro!

LOL bumper plates are far superior man. You have no idea what you're talking about hahahaha
I don't like the fat bumper plates (I remember kids in my HS lifting class using them all the time because it looked like more weight), but the thinner (regular) bumper style plates are pretty nice. When I was in Ontario over the summer one of the gyms had the colored thin bumper plates (all the same diameter, with various thickness and color for 5-45lbs) and I actually really liked them. I still like old school metal 45lb plates too though, because I love the noise they make sometimes, haha.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like the fat bumper plates (I remember kids in my HS lifting class using them all the time because it looked like more weight), but the thinner (regular) bumper style plates are pretty nice. When I was in Ontario over the summer one of the gyms had the colored thin bumper plates (all the same diameter, with various thickness and color for 4-45lbs) and I actually really liked them. I still like old school metal 45lb plates too though, because I love the noise they make sometimes, haha.
True ya I edited my post right after I thought that he may only have the thick 45's. (they make narrow 40kg bumper plates too, but too expensive for most globo gyms as they are oly weights). He probably doesn't have the narrow plates then.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not on a deadlift. They're not as bad as a sided plate, but not ideal.
Yeah the thicker bumpers are no good when working up in weight. I have 20kg (44lb) bumper plates that are as narrow as 45lbs iron, but they are oly plates.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Yeah the thicker bumpers are no good when working up in weight. I have 40kg bumper plates that are as narrow as 45lbs iron, but they are oly plates.
One of these is about as thick as 2 1/2 irons

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One of these is about as thick as 2 1/2 irons
I don't know why, but I quickly read it as "about as thick as 2 1/2 ONIONS," and thought "who the hell uses onions as a unit of measurement?"

AllTheGainz

Awards
I don't know why, but I quickly read it as "about as thick as 2 1/2 ONIONS," and thought "who the hell uses onions as a unit of measurement?"
Smash test to see if the plates are real 45s or fake ass 45s?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah the thicker bumpers are no good when working up in weight. I have 20kg (44lb) bumper plates that are as narrow as 45lbs iron, but they are oly plates.
Just the bounce in general makes it not ideal (assuming you don't touch n go).

AllTheGainz

Awards
Just the bounce in general makes it not ideal (assuming you don't touch n go).
They don't bounce too high but it's still inconvenient. Seeing quite a few guys using Ducktape now

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hang chains off the bar to go with the fat plates. Just an idea. Added weight without taking so much room, more resistance and cheaper than a membership at another gym. I myself love my free gym and would make changes to Keep it that way

AllTheGainz

Awards
Hang chains off the bar to go with the fat plates. Just an idea. Added weight without taking so much room, more resistance and cheaper than a membership at another gym. I myself love my free gym and would make changes to Keep it that way
Guess I'll be doing that then, have to go buy some chains when the time comes around

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Guess I'll be doing that then, have to go buy some chains when the time comes around
Another option is to use thick rubber bands to hold extra plates on. I've seen it done only on occasion, and only when the plate can still partially get onto the bar. But seems to do the trick.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Another option is to use thick rubber bands to hold extra plates on. I've seen it done only on occasion, and only when the plate can still partially get onto the bar. But seems to do the trick.
People are already doing that with the tape, kinda funny watching them tape plates on

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know it may sound ridiculous, but they work, and as I said, cheaper than a new membership. Plus, all the fat plate lovers will be like"daaaaaamn!"

AllTheGainz

Awards
I know it may sound ridiculous, but they work, and as I said, cheaper than a new membership. Plus, all the fat plate lovers will be like"daaaaaamn!"
Lol you gotta look big if your gonna walk into the gym with chains tho. And I don't look big haha

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Doesn't sound like a problem at all. Your max DL was 405, and you can only do 225 now... plus, if you do any overhead lifts you have the ability to ditch the weight. Build back up to where you were before, and re-viste the question down the rode. Getting bumper plates sounds like a win, not a lose. I wish my gym had BPs.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate the bumpers and mentally notice the weight hanging further off the bar, but it can be done until you get above 455.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes but this is my school gym so it's free to go there.

You can't put as many on the leg press machine or bars now. They take up like 3x the space.
That sucks
1 legged leg press and bulgarian squat?

Thiefcatcher

Thiefcatcher

Awards
Dude, you need to get out of that gym right now!! It has been scientifically proven that bumper plates are a gateway drug. Next thing you know, you're doing kipping pull ups...and we all know that kipping pull ups destroys families! :nana:

AllTheGainz

Awards
Dude, you need to get out of that gym right now!! It has been scientifically proven that bumper plates are a gateway drug. Next thing you know, you're doing kipping pull ups...and we all know that kipping pull ups destroys families! :nana:
I'm more worried about the estrogen conversion when I touch the bars.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Realized I wasnt drinking enough, so I drank a lot more water before my workout today (back bi) and be currently got a skin ripening 2 1/2 inch arm pump off doing just back and bi. Hurts so damn good.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What?! You got an arm pump from working your biceps?!

That's incredible!