Money/Protein ratio help

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats up guys? Looking for a little insight here from the AM gurus. Long story short so I can get to my question, My wife lost a good job a couple years back, and it took forever for her to find something new. (Over a year). We depleted everything in savings, so we had no choice but to file for a Ch.13 bankruptcy. Not looking for sympathy of any type, but they're pulling $1200 a month from me to pay that. Anyway, with that being said, I am having serious issues consistently hitting my protein intake of 220g. I just cant afford to buy chicken and steak in bulk as I was before, Im not relying on shakes alone, and its holding me back. Any suggestions on how to add a surplus of protein to my diet and NOT break the bank? Thanks in advance.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Tuna fish? Eggs are 7 grams protein and an 18 pack costs around $3= roughly 2-3 cents per gram of protein.

FWIW, my local Kroger has a weekly special for skinless chicken breast for $1.79/pound. Not sure how much cheaper you can get.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tuna fish? Eggs are 7 grams protein and an 18 pack costs around $3= roughly 2-3 cents per gram of protein.

FWIW, my local Kroger has a weekly special for skinless chicken breast for $1.79/pound. Not sure how much cheaper you can get.
Thanks man. Eggs are a staple for me, but it has been a while since I was loading up on the tuna and to be honest it didnt even cross my mind. Chicken is an all the time thing for me. Problem is, my wife doesnt eat like I do, so Im having to buy her groceries as well as mine. And as bad as Ive tried, she just wont join me on the dark side.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Downside of cheap tuna is the sodium. I usually rinse it in a strainer and mix it half and half with lots sodium variety, which runs $2/ can.

clk

clk

Awards
Make a stew with different beans and rice and whatever kind of seasoning you want. Beans are not a complete protein without the rice. It is much cheaper than anything else. yes, that includes chicken.

powdered milk is also very cheap and packs a good amount of protein and nutrients.

Tuna (as mentioned) and chicken in a can. Chicken in a can is pretty narly if you ask me. But I have used it as a staple for about a year. Couldn't stand the taste, so I'd dump all the cans out into 1 pound freezer bags, freeze it then I'd put it in a blender with 2 eggs, kale and slam it. Did that 2x a day for about a year lol.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make a stew with different beans and rice and whatever kind of seasoning you want. Beans are not a complete protein without the rice. It is much cheaper than anything else. yes, that includes chicken.

powdered milk is also very cheap and packs a good amount of protein and nutrients.

Tuna (as mentioned) and chicken in a can. Chicken in a can is pretty narly if you ask me. But I have used it as a staple for about a year. Couldn't stand the taste, so I'd dump all the cans out into 1 pound freezer bags, freeze it then I'd put it in a blender with 2 eggs, kale and slam it. Did that 2x a day for about a year lol.
2 words....Hard...core!!!

clk

clk

Awards
Hahaha its really not that bad. I have to eat an ungodly amount of food and I get absolutely sick of eating. So blenders have come in handy a lot. Consuming a pound of meat per meal takes some time. If I put that junk in a blender, I can get it down in about 2 min.

But for real man, if times are rough, you gotta do what you gotta do. The blender thing may be a little much for you. But the beans and rice is legit. Retarded cheap and delicious. You can no joke make 10-15 meals with about 5 bucks.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Check out myprotein us.. You can usually get some pretty good deals. I'm not sure how it compares to the cost of chicken breast or anything though.

Are you able to have chickens at your house? You could keep a few chickens in a pin and have your own eggs and stuff.

AllTheGainz

Awards
I just picked up 2lbs of hamburger for 2.50. Granted it's 70/30 so I'll have to drain the fat off but hella worth it. Sometimes coupon shopping is worth it xD

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just picked up 2lbs of hamburger for 2.50. Granted it's 70/30 so I'll have to drain the fat off but hella worth it. Sometimes coupon shopping is worth it xD
Mmmmm. Hamburger. I love some hamburger meat. Cant wait till hunting season though, I am going to load up on the venison

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Can you afford 60 on beef and 60 on chicken. If the answer is yes. Then your straight.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you can purchase a 100lb bag of whey protein fairly cheap on a per lb basis from a number of wholesalers. It is high cholesterol stuff if that matters to you.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Boneless Chicken Breast is like $6 for 6/7 breasts at Walmart. That with eggs and Peanut Butter

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Its all I usually buy. That plus 2-3 protein shakes a day and I'm always pushing 200g+ a day easily

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I think Costco is the cheapest if you're not relying on coupons and sales. Dark meat bone in chicken is the cheapest going at normally 1-2$/lb.

-$5 roasted chicken at Costco is stupid cheap
-Whole eggs are also super cheap at 2.39 for an 18 count x large
-ground beef 91% lean goes for about $4/lb too

People don't know this but going to Asian markets if you're familiar with them are very cheap if you like fish. My favorite are salmon steaks at $3-6/lb. I also buy butterfish on the regular at $3/lb. I switch over to other types when they go on sale.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
College days I ate canned tuna, canned sardines, fish, pork, eggs and beans everyday for 4 yrs. I couldn't afford chicken most of the time because in Asia they were on the expensive side so I stuck to fish

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
It you have a GFS they have pretty good chicken prices.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BOGO at Winn-Dixie trumps Costco chicken prices. Breasts often BOGO at W-D. Regional chain in the SE. Obviously in Miami.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think Costco is the cheapest if you're not relying on coupons and sales. Dark meat bone in chicken is the cheapest going at normally 1-2$/lb.

-$5 roasted chicken at Costco is stupid cheap
-Whole eggs are also super cheap at 2.39 for an 18 count x large
-ground beef 91% lean goes for about $4/lb too

People don't know this but going to Asian markets if you're familiar with them are very cheap if you like fish. My favorite are salmon steaks at $3-6/lb. I also buy butterfish on the regular at $3/lb. I switch over to other types when they go on sale.
College days I ate canned tuna, canned sardines, fish, pork, eggs and beans everyday for 4 yrs. I couldn't afford chicken most of the time because in Asia they were on the expensive side so I stuck to fish
It you have a GFS they have pretty good chicken prices.
BOGO at Winn-Dixie trumps Costco chicken prices. Breasts often BOGO at W-D. Regional chain in the SE. Obviously in Miami.
ObviouslyI need to move. Not one fricken asian market close by, or Id be there daily, they closed all the damn Winn Dixies and Im assuming GFS is Giant? Not here either. We have Lowes, Food Lion and Walmart. Lowes is ridiculous, Food lion is ok at times and walmart meat is a bit questionable at times. But ive been knocking down some chicken, and unGodly amounts of tuna, lifted67 has me now hooked on cottage cheese before bed and R1balla has me drinking milk again.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ObviouslyI need to move. Not one fricken asian market close by, or Id be there daily, they closed all the damn Winn Dixies and Im assuming GFS is Giant? Not here either. We have Lowes, Food Lion and Walmart. Lowes is ridiculous, Food lion is ok at times and walmart meat is a bit questionable at times. But ive been knocking down some chicken, and unGodly amounts of tuna, lifted67 has me now hooked on cottage cheese before bed and R1balla has me drinking milk again.
Lowes sells food?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wow! YOU sir, may very well have just become my new hero! Ill be there tomorrow to check that out!! Thank you!
Lol I just went there yesterday, it was much cheaper than my last trip to Walmart.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GFS= Gordon Food Service

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Yeah GFS is usually used by caterers and restaurants but anyone can shop there. Love that place.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100lb bag of whey is about $100-150 straight from dairy wholesalers. Find it on the web if you have good Dr. Google skills. High cholesterol as well.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Never heard of the place, so apparently we dont have one. You guys are making me question North Carolina!
Guess you gotta move to PA and fish and train and work with me.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Guess you gotta move to PA and fish and train and work with me.
Im in! Only been to PA twice. Once to the Poconos when I was kid, and once at 18 years old to Philly. Long, good story, its on the test1fy promo but it involves me and my buddys 38 year old mom. Needless to say, nothing but great memories out of 2 trips!!

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
You did what with your buddy's mom?!? I gotta get over to this promo page and check out this story for myself.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You did what with your buddy's mom?!? I gotta get over to this promo page and check out this story for myself.
Ahh, I see you found it. Is it bad that sometimes I just ads stuff to promos so theyll keep going? Like LGs bulk promo, I keep saying Im not in, I just want to add food pics. And now I realize, this forum is a curse!! It has made me want to be at the gym more than ever, but I cant get there because I feel like I have to read every damn notification I get as soon as I Get it!! Im Sick!!!!!

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I turn my phone off completely before lifting...cardio I welcome the distraction lol

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I turn my phone off completely before lifting...cardio I welcome the distraction lol
Just got to the gym, but just getting off work Im hoping the Shred Ultra will kick in. Im whooped! But I never turn my phone off, cant do it. Gotta make sure my son can get me if he needs me.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Yes. I got chicken breast about $1.80 a pound and they have eggs for like .70 a dozen.
How is the meat quality at Aldi? We've got one that recently opened near my work. The only time I went in one was years ago in a city I was working in. It was old and grungy and smelled funny inside, so I didn't get anything. I'm willing to try a brand new one.

AllTheGainz

Awards
I picked up chicken breasts for 1.40/lb from Kroger yesterday. Also was 10/10 on boxes of pasta so I picked up 30 boxes

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Aldis ain't bad
Frozen chicken pieces look funny sometimes but ground turkey is like 2.99 for a 20oz pack
And frozen ground beef 85/15 is 2.99 a pound as well as 85/15 ground beef patties for 8.99 for 12 1/4 patties
Pork loins are good too lean and have different flavors we use those in the winter more in a crock pot

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How is the meat quality at Aldi? We've got one that recently opened near my work. The only time I went in one was years ago in a city I was working in. It was old and grungy and smelled funny inside, so I didn't get anything. I'm willing to try a brand new one.
Yeah the chicken can have some weird pieces in it sometimes, but its maybe like 5% of the entire package, if that. It's not any worse than the chicken I've been getting from Walmart. I throw a lot of walmarts Away cause it's been coming with a lot of fat and veins in it.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Yeah the chicken can have some weird pieces in it sometimes, but its maybe like 5% of the entire package, if that. It's not any worse than the chicken I've been getting from Walmart. I throw a lot of walmarts Away cause it's been coming with a lot of fat and veins in it.
Yeah inconsistent with the chicken I guess at both places
I usually get chicken from Bjs
20 bucks for 10 pound bag Perdue or Tyson

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah inconsistent with the chicken I guess at both places
I usually get chicken from Bjs
20 bucks for 10 pound bag Perdue or Tyson
Oh man I hate Tyson's chicken. The breading makes me wanna puke.