Anyone here live in Indiana? What's it like?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Basically once I finish college in a year, I want to move to a nice rural area in the country. I want to move to a place with good housing, good job availability for medical jobs(specifically medical tech MRI, Ultra Sound, CT Scan) and a state that is pretty constitutional and freedom loving. I consider myself a constitutional moderate, so I'd like to move to a state that reflects that. I was thinking about Georgia, but Georgia is just too damn hot.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
VA has plenty of nice rural countryside from Richmond west. We have the VCDL that does a great job fighting for the 2A in the state legislature. Taxes aren't terrible, and cost of living in the middle to west part of the state is pretty reasonable. I wouldn't go much west of Abingdon, unless you like mountains and very rural. The Shenandoah Valley east of the Blue Ridge Mountains is beautiful. They have a fairly large hospital in Harrisonburg near James Madison University. Charlottesville has the UVA medical center. Great country living, an hour to Richmond, about 3 hours to VA Beach. Great country scenery, yet close enough to big cities to get to other things. Even the rural outskirts of Richmond is nice, but city of Richmond is the pits. I wouldn't want to drive into Richmond for work.

And VA has had the most US presidents. Many of them the founders.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I was thinking about Va for awhile, but I'm afraid it'll get too liberal. See I'm from Maryland and I'm afraid all the progressives here and DC are going to move to Va and turn it royal blue like this state.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I went to a graduation in Ft Wayne, it was really nice in the rural areas.

I live in IL, and this kills me to say........ but Wi is really nice.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was thinking about Va for awhile, but I'm afraid it'll get too liberal. See I'm from Maryland and I'm afraid all the progressives here and DC are going to move to Va and turn it royal blue like this state.
We've managed to keep the Clinton hack we have as governor in check through the general assembly so far. Even though he passed an Obama esque EO that restored voting rights to felons. Its definitely no where near as bad as Maryland.

Tennessee doesn't have state income tax.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my wife and I used to live in indy, it is where I was raised and lived since I was 8 years...indy has become like every other big city, with the usual big city problems...we now live in a small city in Indiana[population 60,000]. small city life in Indiana is like a trip back to the past, and isn't that effected by Obama's liberalism nearly as much as indy is. the drawback is that separation of wealth is very apparent here, either you have money or you are in the service industry for the ones who do. the wages are noticeably smaller here than in indy and many people drive to indy for work[around 70 miles each way].

but...with that said it is well worth it to live in small city Indiana and be unaffected[for the most part]by the liberal agenda that is ruining big cities!!! liberalism sucks, and small city life is the best way to escape it...I still drive to indy 3 times a week for work and our son, his wife and our granddaughter live in indy, but no way in hell would I want to live there again after experiencing small city life!!!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my wife and I used to live in indy, it is where I was raised and lived since I was 8 years...indy has become like every other big city, with the usual big city problems...we now live in a small city in Indiana[population 60,000]. small city life in Indiana is like a trip back to the past, and isn't that effected by Obama's liberalism nearly as much as indy is. the drawback is that separation of wealth is very apparent here, either you have money or you are in the service industry for the ones who do. the wages are noticeably smaller here than in indy and many people drive to indy for work[around 70 miles each way].

but...with that said it is well worth it to live in small city Indiana and be unaffected[for the most part]by the liberal agenda that is ruining big cities!!! liberalism sucks, and small city life is the best way to escape it...I still drive to indy 3 times a week for work and our son, his wife and our granddaughter live in indy, but no way in hell would I want to live there again after experiencing small city life!!!
See, I'm hoping to live in a rural area but close enough to a city to drive to for work and other event, Ie conventions and concerts.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
See, I'm hoping to live in a rural area but close enough to a city to drive to for work and other event, Ie conventions and concerts.
plainfield or greenwood would be good choices then...but the closer you get to indy the more liberalism you will experience, but this is true of anywhere.

I am 57 and the slower small city life suites me well...the crime and homelessness rate is practically non-existent compared to big cities.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
plainfield or greenwood would be good choices then...but the closer you get to indy the more liberalism you will experience, but this is true of anywhere.

I am 57 and the slower small city life suites me well...the crime and homelessness rate is practically non-existent compared to big cities.
Thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate it.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I lived in IN most of my life. Eastern side of Indy in New Castle and Greenfield. I enjoyed it. thebigt suggestions on where to live are great.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I lived in IN most of my life. Eastern side of Indy in New Castle and Greenfield. I enjoyed it. thebigt suggestions on where to live are great.
I grew up in the hood, lol..not far from brick city over on Raymond street. best thing about it though was Garfield park back in the 70's, one hellova party every day, lol.....my favorite side of indy is southside---beech grove and southport. greenwood mall is by far best mall in indy!!!

the box factory[international paper]I worked at for over 20 years was on eastside of indy on franklin road..until the prlcks shut it down.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I grew up in the hood, lol..not far from brick city over on Raymond street. best thing about it though was Garfield park back in the 70's, one hellova party every day, lol.....my favorite side of indy is southside---beech grove and southport. greenwood mall is by far best mall in indy!!!

the box factory[international paper]I worked at for over 20 years was on eastside of indy on franklin road..until the prlcks shut it down.
I was born in Beech Grove. I spent most of my time on the eastside and south side. My buddy lived right between there

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was born in Beech Grove. I spent most of my time on the eastside and south side. My buddy lived right between there
lol...back in the day when you moved up to beech grove it was like movin on up to the eastside to that mansion in the sky...I went to manual...72-76

the grove aint what it was back in the day, sorry to see that it has gone down some---but still a very nice place, imo.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I grew up in Indiana from 3rd grade all the way until College (after College I moved to Florida - NEVER leaving again)

It's alright, sometimes it seems everything is slower than it should be with news, laws, clothing styles and music

ONE good thing is depending on where you are, not everything is too far away (I grew up 45 min S of Indy)

Bad thing - It's almost always GREY and DEPRESSING looking outside

If you enjoy the outdoors and farm life, Indiana is great

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basically once I finish college in a year, I want to move to a nice rural area in the country. I want to move to a place with good housing, good job availability for medical jobs(specifically medical tech MRI, Ultra Sound, CT Scan) and a state that is pretty constitutional and freedom loving. I consider myself a constitutional moderate, so I'd like to move to a state that reflects that. I was thinking about Georgia, but Georgia is just too damn hot.
Not sure about Indy at all, however I live in NC,in a rural area. Close enough to the city to get what I need when I want it, but can shoot my gun anytime I want to. I grew up in Maryland as well, an in a not so great part, and I love it here. And plenty ofMedical jobs. We have a few great hospital systems close to where Im at. What part of MD you from?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure about Indy at all, however I live in NC,in a rural area. Close enough to the city to get what I need when I want it, but can shoot my gun anytime I want to. I grew up in Maryland as well, an in a not so great part, and I love it here. And plenty ofMedical jobs. We have a few great hospital systems close to where Im at. What part of MD you from?
Baltimore, thankfully the county though. NC seems cool too. How's the weather heat wise? The only other state I was thinking of was Tennessee.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Baltimore, thankfully the county though. NC seems cool too. How's the weather heat wise? The only other state I was thinking of was Tennessee.
Baltimore!! I grew up in Laurel and lived to tell about it! Even graduated from that God forsaken High school.
Weather isn't typically too bad in NC. Very mild winters, although we do get some ice storms. Usually snow is less than a few inches. Cold in the winter and summers get fairly hot, except this year... Its like a hot fart outside all day

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My only other question would be, how are the woman? I'm sure they're better than the progressive leftists here that don't date "cis guys" *shakes head*.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My only other question would be, how are the woman? I'm sure they're better than the progressive leftists here that don't date "cis guys" *shakes head*.
Wide Range if them man. We have voters for Trump and Hillary around here. You can find refined city girls, and on the next block a country girl that drives a jeep and rides a horse. And in the hospitals....every type of woman you can think of. I work Fire and EMS and see them daily. If it wasnt for having a wife, ai could have some killer nights!!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Wide Range if them man. We have voters for Trump and Hillary around here. You can find refined city girls, and on the next block a country girl that drives a jeep and rides a horse. And in the hospitals....every type of woman you can think of. I work Fire and EMS and see them daily. If it wasnt for having a wife, ai could have some killer nights!!
Hospital and EMS chics can get wild, yet have an enormous amount of drama related to that wildness. I ran EMS for about 10 years a while back.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hospital and EMS chics can get wild, yet have an enormous amount of drama related to that wildness. I ran EMS for about 10 years a while back.
Drama indeed!! But I was guessing that if he was to move here, he wasnt going to go directly into a relationship. With that being said, young and single means "if you bring your drama, I move on to the next nurse in line!"lol

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Drama indeed!! But I was guessing that if he was to move here, he wasnt going to go directly into a relationship. With that being said, young and single means "if you bring your drama, I move on to the next nurse in line!"lol
I've been stuck watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix with my wife. I've never watched it before. From my recollection and experience, the interpersonal drama and hooking up seems fairly accurate.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been through VA a few times, beautiful state.

Any thought put into moving to Texas? There are a lot of places in Texas that have pretty mild summers (I believe the average temp in Pampa is 75 in the summer). Plus no state income tax is a big plus.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been stuck watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix with my wife. I've never watched it before. From my recollection and experience, the interpersonal drama and hooking up seems fairly accurate.
If youre gonna watch netflix... Might as well watch Dexter. Much better show

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been through VA a few times, beautiful state.

Any thought put into moving to Texas? There are a lot of places in Texas that have pretty mild summers (I believe the average temp in Pampa is 75 in the summer). Plus no state income tax is a big plus.
No, always thought Texas would be too hot, but if that's the case Texas would be another possibility. I did hear Arizona actually has cooler spots, but from what I saw they pay less for medical tech jobs. I think Texas pays a good amount for medical jobs overall.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Idaho is the shiz man. Fits everything you were talking about. Its also super beautiful.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, always thought Texas would be too hot, but if that's the case Texas would be another possibility. I did hear Arizona actually has cooler spots, but from what I saw they pay less for medical tech jobs. I think Texas pays a good amount for medical jobs overall.
Texas has a huge range of climates lol.

I live in the Houston area and it's hot as ****. But further north it is much more temperate, and Central Texas is nice as well. West TX can get hot, but it's dry heat so it isn't as bad as Houston with the humidity.

Tyler may be a good option for you, it's a relatively small city (town?) that is within driving distance of Dallas.

Pay is usually good in most sectors, but the biggest thing is that cost of living is lower in Texas than most other states.