Anyone Else Ride?

AllTheGainz

Awards
Curious to see how many people here ride motorcycles. Any kind or type it doesn't matter, won't hate on you if you ride a moped either. Life is always better on 2 wheels.

Post your years riding, motorcycle make and model and anything else you want others to know.

Ill start.
Beginner (<1 year)
CBR 600RR

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have a 660 Raptor, but it's a 4 wheeler not a motorcycle. Still fun ?

AllTheGainz

Awards
Hell yeah, beats a car or truck any day in my opinion. No cage is the best way around.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
Sure haha why can't you get one? I'd sell my truck in a heart beat for a bike
With my driving history (mostly during my drug and alcohol binge years lol) most of my "loved ones" have threatened to break my legs if I got one so I've held off for the time being haha but I know I'll own one in the near future

AllTheGainz

Awards
With my driving history (mostly during my drug and alcohol binge years lol) most of my "loved ones" have threatened to break my legs if I got one so I've held off for the time being haha but I know I'll own one in the near future
Ah damn sorry to hear that, hopefully you get one soon rather than later. They are so much fun.... Too much fun..

AllTheGainz

Awards
30 yrs...

Harley FXSTD 2007

View attachment 138091
Damn she's nice. I've always been a sports bike guy, ever since I saw a buell racing bike when I was 6. Still have an appreciation for any bike tho.

Same boat, had quads over the years but no street bike.
I want one but I keep spending money on my other toy lol.
Haha I feel the same way, hard to save up and buy protein powder, supps, food etc. without spending too much.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Been wanting a bike for ages, but waiting till I move to the west coast. NYC is the worst place for one.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Been wanting a bike for ages, but waiting till I move to the west coast. NYC is the worst place for one.
Yeah all the traffic makes it the worst for any vehicle, if you could lane split that would be really nice.

Chiefsnation23

Chiefsnation23

Awards
I had a CBR when I was stationed in Hawaii. I now have a boat and truck instead. I still do miss it though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah all the traffic makes it the worst for any vehicle, if you could lane split that would be really nice.
Yeah lane-splitting has been banned from the NYC area. NYPD is really against it here. :(

AllTheGainz

Awards
Yeah lane-splitting has been banned from the NYC area. NYPD is really against it here. :(
I think that's stupid, lane splitting saves lives. It requires drivers to be more aware of the people around them, and it gives riders an out if **** is gonna hit the fan and they have no where to go.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think that's stupid, lane splitting saves lives. It requires drivers to be more aware of the people around them, and it gives riders an out if **** is gonna hit the fan and they have no where to go.
This is why I plan on moving to Cali well, one of the reasons lol

AllTheGainz

Awards
This is why I plan on moving to Cali well, one of the reasons lol
I'd love to join you.

Y'all gotta help me out here. I've only been riding for a few months. I know the saying, "there's those who have been down, will go down, and will go down again". I'm fortunate, I've been riding around on my buddies CBR, honestly don't have that many miles under my belt. Not even super comfortable on highways and I haven't mastered stopping and starting on hills. But he's moving :(

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. I love his 2015 CBR 600, he was teaching me how to ride it while he was on is 1000. I love the feel, the look, the sound, the position, everything. But it's a 2015, they are 10k new and finding a used one is impossible unless it's beat to hell and back. I don't want to down grade, and I can afford new, but there's the whole first time going down issue....

Last edited:

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to join you.

Y'all gotta help me out here. I've only been riding for a few months. I know the saying, "there's those who have been down, will go down, and will go down again". I'm fortunate, I've been riding around on my buddies CBR, honestly don't have that many miles under my belt. Not even super comfortable on highways and I haven't mastered stopping and starting on hills. But he's moving :(

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. I love his 2015 CBR 600, he was teaching me how to ride it while he was on is 1000. I love the feel, the look, the sound, the position, everything. But it's a 2015, they are 10k new and finding a used one is impossible unless it's beat to hell and back. I don't want to down grade, and I can afford new, but there's the whole first time going down issue....
Don't spend a ton of money until you are riding a bike as comfortable as you are driving a car. I don't have a bike, but have ridden a couple. Years ago I took my brother's older yzf 600 out for a ride while he was at work. I dropped it at an intersection. I gassed it too hard pulling off from a stop, trying to make a right turn. I knew I gassed it too much, so I squeezed the clutch back in. The amount of force the front lifted, equaled that much force going down when the clutch went in. Down it went. Dude in car behind me started laughing. I took it home and parked it.

Before that, when I was about 18, I friend came by my work showing off his new CBR, I think t was purple and yellow. Around 95 or 96. We goaded him into doing a burnout in the parking lot. So he rolled his front tire into a small concrete drainage trough, it lit the tire up. Next thing we know, it comes out from under him and spins around on the ground like a top.

A coworker had a gsxr and came in in a Saturday at my current job. Only like 3 cars in parking lot. I goaded him into doing a wheelie across the lot. He got too much speed for the size lot. Tire came up, and he set it down and jammed the brakes because he was running out of room. He hit the curb with front tire while back was locked down at probably at least 20mph still. Over he went. Luckily bike went into grass instead of asphalt.

Buy used cheap, rag it out and get good at riding. Then upgrade down the road.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Not to offend you but those 600 sport bikes are nothing less than a track race bike with street legal options. They are nothing for a beginner to learn on. One wrong twist of the throttle and down you go. Get a used smaller bike and practice on it. Then sell it for what you paid for it in a year or so and get the bike you want. Been ridding a long time and seen my share of dropped race bikes.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Not to offend you but those 600 sport bikes are nothing less than a track race bike with street legal options. They are nothing for a beginner to learn on. One wrong twist of the throttle and down you go. Get a used smaller bike and practice on it. Then sell it for what you paid for it in a year or so and get the bike you want. Been ridding a long time and seen my share of dropped race bikes.
I'm very aware of the power they have, that's why they are super sports. They demand a lot of respect I know that as well. Problem is I can buy used from dealers here and CL around here is chalked full of scammers and I don't know what to look for in a bike buying it used.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I'm very aware of the power they have, that's why they are super sports. They demand a lot of respect I know that as well. Problem is I can buy used from dealers here and CL around here is chalked full of scammers and I don't know what to look for in a bike buying it used.
Take your riding buddy that's has more experienced with you to check them out. Just like buying a car, tell the seller you want to have a mechanic check it out before agreeing to buy it.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Take your riding buddy that's has more experienced with you to check them out. Just like buying a car, tell the seller you want to have a mechanic check it out before agreeing to buy it.
He knows bikes decently, hasn't been riding them for super long tho so I don't think he'd catch it either. He bought his bikes new for the same reason as I want too.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Go by your local bike shop/mechanic and make friends and ask if they will check over a bike you're looking at buying. Might cost you an hour of labor, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than dropping $5000 extra to buy a new one just because of your inexperience.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Go by your local bike shop/mechanic and make friends and ask if they will check over a bike you're looking at buying. Might cost you an hour of labor, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than dropping $5000 extra to buy a new one just because of your inexperience.
Very true and I would do that but I live in a smallish town so there isn't many bike dealers around me or mechanics. That's the big issue.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Very true and I would do that but I live in a smallish town so there isn't many bike dealers around me or mechanics. That's the big issue.
I guess you're just going to have to spend your $10,000 and lay down your brand new bike then. Talk to the shop at the new bike dealer you're considering buying from. Not sure what else to tell you.

AllTheGainz

Awards
I guess you're just going to have to spend your $10,000 and lay down your brand new bike then. Talk to the shop at the new bike dealer you're considering buying from. Not sure what else to tell you.
I mean I know laying it down is bad but exactly why I'm not sure. I know a lot of it is cosmetic if you have frame sliders, even possible damage to the triple tree and handle bars but can't that all be avoided with sliders and not being stupid through corners?

I actually know a guy who is getting a higher up position at a bike dealership so maybe he can cut me some slack. Also have my uncle who can help me out but he's 100+ miles away currently. Probably will wait till he gets back.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Damage to the bike isn't what you should be worried about. Sorry but if you think not being stupid through the corners will keep you safe there's really nothing else to tell you. Would you take a 16 year old kid with a permit and put him in a nascar and tell him just take it easy on the corners?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
First off how old are you, and be honest. Secondly, are you against buying a used bike from your dealer?

AllTheGainz

Awards
I'm not old af but still have some learning to do so early 20s. And nope not at all but they don't have the kind I like. Mostly have Harley's.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I didn't address his earlier, but it goes to the last post where someone mentioned if a little body damage is the only thing you're worried about.

If you think it being legal to split lanes is going to force drivers to be more aware of their surroundings and make it safer for bike riders, you're crazy. Having to split a lane to make a defensive evasive manuever is one thing. But I promise you it's more dangerous today for bike riders because of all the texting and Pokemon playing while people are driving.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Damage to the bike isn't what you should be worried about. Sorry but if you think not being stupid through the corners will keep you safe there's really nothing else to tell you. Would you take a 16 year old kid with a permit and put him in a nascar and tell him just take it easy on the corners?
Understandable but that would require you to have a lack of common sense and a will to die. I know how dangerous they are and I'm not trying to increase my chances of dying. Sure there are kids who will do stupid things on them but I'm not one of them.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I'm not old af but still have some learning to do so early 20s. And nope not at all but they don't have the kind I like. Mostly have Harley's.
Take it from a 39 year old. Which we all know you wont, because we didn't when we were that age. DONT WASTE THE MONEY ON A NEW BIKE. You're going to crash it and tear it up, statistically speaking. Do you want to be out $10,000 or maybe 4 or $5000?

I'm guessing you don't have $10,000 sitting in an account waiting to be spent on it. If you crash one whole paying a loan off, you'll be paying on a bike you wI'll no longer have. If you do have it, quit squabbling over crashing a $10,000 bike and just go buy it. Youve got more money than life experience if that's the case.

AllTheGainz

Awards
I didn't address his earlier, but it goes to the last post where someone mentioned if a little body damage is the only thing you're worried about.

If you think it being legal to split lanes is going to force drivers to be more aware of their surroundings and make it safer for bike riders, you're crazy. Having to split a lane to make a defensive evasive manuever is one thing. But I promise you it's more dangerous today for bike riders because of all the texting and Pokemon playing while people are driving.
Totally get that but from my knowledge, in Cali drivers are required to move over for lane splitters. So yes it does require drivers to be slightly more aware, but I do agree this Pokemon thing is getting out of hand and dangerous.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
http://wset.com/news/local/state-police-investigate-fatal-crash-on-i-81-traffic-backed-up

What if you hit lose gravel while riding down the highway and lose it?

Or you decide to split 2 lanes while riding down the highway and a car doesn't see you and changes lanes right before you plow them? Saying that you don't see a problem splitting lanes on a roadway because it's supposedly legal to do so just proves you are going to learn a life lesson the hard way. I wish you luck, just be sure to have someone post picks of the crash when it happens.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Take it from a 39 year old. Which we all know you wont, because we didn't when we were that age. DONT WASTE THE MONEY ON A NEW BIKE. You're going to crash it and tear it up, statistically speaking. Do you want to be out $10,000 or maybe 4 or $5000?

I'm guessing you don't have $10,000 sitting in an account waiting to be spent on it. If you crash one whole paying a loan off, you'll be paying on a bike you wI'll no longer have. If you do have it, quit squabbling over crashing a $10,000 bike and just go buy it. Youve got more money than life experience if that's the case.
Nope I got 5k which is why I asked new or used. I was leaning new because I liked my friends bike, but I wanted seconds opinions. Second opinions are always useful and maybe I'll learn more in the process (which I have).

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
As another example of being at the mercy of other drivers. My buddy's parents where riding a Harley or Goldwing some years ago. They got plowed by a car. His mom now has a prosthetic leg. Her husband wasn't doing anything unsafe.

AllTheGainz

Awards
http://wset.com/news/local/state-police-investigate-fatal-crash-on-i-81-traffic-backed-up

What if you hit lose gravel while riding down the highway and lose it?

Or you decide to split 2 lanes while riding down the highway and a car doesn't see you and changes lanes right before you plow them? Saying that you don't see a problem splitting lanes on a roadway because it's supposedly legal to do so just proves you are going to learn a life lesson the hard way. I wish you luck, just be sure to have someone post picks of the crash when it happens.
Never said I didn't have a problem with it, I just stated I believed it was more beneficial.
There are always risks which you stated I just believe it's more beneficial than not being able too.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Never said I didn't have a problem with it, I just stated I believed it was more beneficial.
There are always risks which you stated I just believe it's more beneficial than not being able too.
I promise you, a large majority of the Cali population probably doesn't know it's legal, so they won't be looking out for you. The other issue is the numbers of illegals driving around that don't know any of the laws. That law isn't making anyone safer.

But your young age explains it since you just don't have he years of life experience. Just try to learn from those that do, no matter what it is they are talking about.

AllTheGainz

Awards
I promise you, a large majority of the Cali population probably doesn't know it's legal, so they won't be looking out for you. The other issue is the numbers of illegals driving around that don't know any of the laws. That law isn't making anyone safer.

But your young age explains it since you just don't have he years of life experience. Just try to learn from those that do, no matter what it is they are talking about.
Technically not legal but not illegal, same with DC. And yup I don't know much that's why I'm on the forum, to learn about things I don't know about.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
It's not a matter of not doing anything stupid. You're talking about a track ready bike and you have no experience ridding. Look at the statistics involving vehicle crashing with new drivers. There are not all doing something stupid they just don't have the experience behind them. Again if you want to learn to ride and do it safely get a smaller used bike. Have you even thought about taking a rider safety course? If you don't want to listen to what anyone here has tried to tell you the only thing left is to tell you good luck with your new bike.

AllTheGainz

Awards
It's not a matter of not doing anything stupid. You're talking about a track ready bike and you have no experience ridding. Look at the statistics involving vehicle crashing with new drivers. There are not all doing something stupid they just don't have the experience behind them. Again if you want to learn to ride and do it safely get a smaller used bike. Have you even thought about taking a rider safety course? If you don't want to listen to what anyone here has tried to tell you the only thing left is to tell you good luck with your new bike.
Actually took one already in conjunction with my BRC helped out a lot, only reason why my buddy let me ride his 600.

AllTheGainz

Awards
I realized I forgot to mention this, was kinda my whole reason for asking about the new or used bike. There's a 2015 cbr600rr for 7k from a dealer. I've seen 3 on CL (so far) for 9500 or more used with between 500-1k ish miles on them. Yeah I could go a few model years earlier and save another 3k but if it's already that much off, and I plan on keeping it for more than a year or two is it worth it? I'm not opposed to buying used, but that was a large selling point for me and I apologize for failing to mention it.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Sorry but I can't recommend any 600rr to new ridder. You're going to be on your own there.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wish you luck, just be sure to have someone post picks of the crash when it happens.
Wow, you truly are an a$$hole aren't you. The offspring of Mr Doom and Gloom meets Debbie Downer.

That's such a $hitty thing to say to someone.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Telling him to be careful is one thing, but that sort of attitude thrown at him is kind of uncalled for.