B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With rising concern and/or requests for information regarding the following:

1. Bloodwork: Types (see 2,3,4), On-Line Sites, etc.
2. Cholesterol: Support/Restoration
3. Liver: Support/Restoration
4. Prostate: Support/Restoration

I thought maybe a stickie or more might be of value. Just a thought.

Last edited:
L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established

I like the Idea. Would it have a reference guide or table that shows normal healthy ranges for blood profile? That would help. Throw in #s for BP too.

T

tattoopierced1

Maybe there could be a new forum for this that could be just called "Stickies" that houses all the sticky material and cannot be posted in unless granted by mods....it'd keep the forum very clean of useless posts and information very easy to find....

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
We have two forums like that already

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established

Great Idea!:cheers:

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Good idea. B did you want to write them up? I'll sticky them for ya. :D

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good idea. B did you want to write them up? I'll sticky them for ya. :D
I saw that coming. I'll see if I can get something drafted up in my "free time" and pass it by a few of you guys for review and approval. It may be a little while, but I'll get started.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Time to delegate responsibilities. Maybe others will chime in and take on one of the topics.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Give me one, I can cover the supps for Improving poor levels, and preventitive measures.

L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Ahh, Willing and knowledgable members pitching in. I love it!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I were delegating I would elect ryansm for the cardiovascular/cholesterol preventive/restorative and I would elect SJA for prostate. I'll have to bump and/or PM SJA over to this thread to let him know. I'm still unsure on the liver. I certainly can get the standard healthy range/parameters (with references) and a couple few test sources as well.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Guess I can milk the old prostate for some info :D Although Rogue Drone is much more knowledgeable in this arena than myself. I'll put something together and run it past him for input. This is a great idea B!! :thumbsup:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll get to work on my part. Might take a little time.

E

ericnb_98

Awards
Excellent Idea. it will be a good quick referrence to see how you are doing.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
This is a very good idea and it'll make this site a very valuable resource. Not that it isn't already - but this would be going way over the extra mile...

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
So would you guys like to see some quick reference stuff at the beginning of the sticky and then throw in some psycho scholar stuff for the hardcore brainiacs? That's kind of what I was thinking. :think:

I am a big fan of prostate milkin'
:cheers: :icon_lol:

L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
So would you guys like to see some quick reference stuff at the beginning of the sticky and then throw in some psycho scholar stuff for the hardcore brainiacs? That's kind of what I was thinking. :think:
I like that Idea. It would be nice to not have to weed through some long ass post to find one little bit of info.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
NP, LO, (all),

Just wanted to check in with you guys and let you know that I have a draft that I am in the process of revising, and I have had one draft sent to me for review. My question is; how would you like me/us to go about getting these peer reviewed and to you for stickies.

Sorry for the delays...family, work, and this below bf setpoint lethargy I have been experiencing has got me at a snails pace.

Thanks again for considering the idea and allowing us to contribute in this way.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
B5, I would just go ahead and post it up in here, and we can all take a look at it, and fix anything that needs changing. I'm glad to see our members step up (as they always do).

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I sent Brian a write-up, but have made some recent changes. I am in the process of finishing it up, and can post it here for critique if you guys want?

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cardiovascular/Cholesterol Preventive/Restorative Measures

In an attempt to make all of our bodybuilding lives safer, I have amassed some information to help soothe some concerns as well as some guidelines to follow.

Theories behind cardiovascular disease:

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women. Traditional risk factors account for only 50% of the incidence of cardiac disease. Many individuals who develop heart disease have normal cholesterol and blood pressure levels.

The current understanding is of the inflammatory process, tissue rupture, or damage to the lining of the arterial lining of the heart. Blood work is used to assess if this problem has occurred utilizing the measurements of C-reactive proteins, total cholesterol to HDL ratios and homocysteine levels.

Lifestyle

As we all know, a healthy lifestyle plays a large role in our cardiovascular health. This takes an even bigger meaning when we introduce exogenous hormones to our body.

Measures to take:

Cardiovascular exercise- I’m sure I don’t need to explain this one.

Essential Fatty Acids- EFA’s cannot be synthesized in humans and must be provided with food. EFA's are found in supplements such as flaxseed oil. fish oil, Borage oil, black currant oil. and evening primrose oil. EFA's are precursors for two groups of polyunsaturated fatty acid series omega-3 and omega-6, linolenic acid and linoleic acid.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15514264

Supplementation

Hawthorne Berry- In addition to bioflavinoids, hawthorne contains cardiotonic amines, polyphenols. Some of the benefits include:
  • relaxing and dilating arteries
  • increasing the flow of blood and oxygen to and from the heart
  • supporting healthy circulation
  • increasing endurance
  • maintaining healthy blood pressure
  • maintaining healthy blood vessels
http://exchange.healthwell.com/nutritionsciencenews/nsn_backs/Aug_00/hawthorn.cfm

Take year round, as a daily routine. The effects of Hawthorne are slow to materialize, usually 2-3 months of continuos use will result in desired effects. I suggest the NOW brand, cheap and effective. Available at Nutraplanet- http://www.nutraplanet.com

Policosanol- A blend of fatty alcohol’s, shows great promise in its use as beneficial to cardiovascular health, to include the maintenance of healthy lipid profiles. There is also some theory to a synergistic affect with EFA’s.

Another one that should be used year round. Safe, and effective, it also has more positive results the longer it is used. The NOW brand is fine also available at Nutraplanet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15806713

Red Yeast Rice- A fermented rice product, that is our best fighter against negative sides form AAS concerning cardiovascular damage. Comprised of nine different monacolins, which are naturally occurring substances that help regulate cholesterol levels. Along with sterols, and monounsaturated fatty acids, it packs a strong punch.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15653117

Unlike the other two, this one should be used only around cycles, preferably 2-3 weeks before the cycle is to be started continued throughout, and ran through pct. It is also imperative that it is stacked with COQ10, due to lowered levels in major organs. This is again available at Nutraplanet, and the NOW brand has a version that is included with COQ10.

Celery Seed- A powerful anti-oxidant, shown to not only lower blood pressure, but may have cancer fighting properties as well. And there is evidence to show its ability in aiding the liver.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12185962

This can be used year round, or saved for an extra punch to control Blood Pressure during cycle. Natural Factors is the brand name, available at Nutraplanet.

Fenugreek- Yes fenugreek, not only does it aid in pct for HPTA recovery, it also has lipid oxidative inhibitory properties.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15678722

I would reserve this for Post Cycle Therapy as a means of HPTA recovery, and positive assimilation of the lipid levels. NOW brand at Nutraplanet

Allicin- An extract found in Garlicis shown to lower blood pressure, and lipid levels. It also has established reports of its ability to fight cancer. Purer forms of the extract are shown to be the best.

Another one to be utilized year round and Custom Nutrition Warehouse has the bulk powder. http://customnutritionwarehouse.com/index.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15158086

COQ10- Although this is abundant in food sources, I feel it prudent to put on here. Not only does it show to help cardiac function, but it’s also imperative to be used with Red Yeast Rice. Can be used in combination with other cholesterol lowering supplements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15821319

NOW brand at Nutraplanet

Nicotinic acid "Niacin"- A well documented aid in boosting HDL levels, and decreasing LDL. Also can be used in combination with other supplements, and Statins. Although it must be noted that there is a synergistic effect, which can cause concern, such as liver damage, consultation with a doctor is advised. Common side effects are flushing, stomach discomfort, and headaches.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15834527

NOW brand at Nutraplanet

Sesathin- Rather new to the bodybuilding scene, this "supplement" has made quite an impact recently. For a quick reference read this link, http://www.avantlabs.com/main.php.

Available at Nutraplanet

Last edited:
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OBJECTIVE
The following information is intended to be a general guideline and recommendation for blood work testing and respective test normal ranges. The author, nor AM, are not liable in any way for erroneous or inaccurate information. It is the sole responsibility of the individual to assure that their doctor or testing facility has the most current and up to date information and or testing procedures. In no way is any of this information intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any condition related to, or not, to the use of any substances or supplements discussed on this or any other message board. It is strongly advised that any and all matters regarding ones health and wellness be discussed with a healthcare professional.

GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS **
Major Hormones:
· Testosterone (normal range: 300 – 1200 ng/dl)
· Free testosterone (normal range: 8.7 – 25 pg/ml)
· IGF-1 (normal range: 109 – 284 ng/ml)
· Estradoil (normal range: 5 – 53 pg/ml)
· DHEA/DHEA-s (normal range: 120 – 520 ug/dl)

Full Thyroid Panel:
· T4 (normal range: 4.5 – 12 ug/dl)
· T3 (normal range: 2.3 – 4.2 pg/ml)
· TSH (normal range: .350 – 5.500 uIU/ml)

Lipid Profile:
· Total Cholesterol (normal healthy range 100 – 199 mg/dl)
· HDL (normal range: 40 – 59 mg/dl)
· LDL (normal range: 0 – 99 mg/dl)
· Triglycerides (normal range: 0 – 149 mg/dl)
· C-reactive protein (< 2.0 mg/l)
· Homocycteine (normal range: 6.3 – 15 umol/L)

Major Liver Function:
· Alkaline Phosphate (normal range: 25 – 150 umol/L)
· GGT (normal range: 0 – 65 IU/L)
· SGOT (AST) (normal range: 0 – 40 IU/L)
· SGPT (ALT) (normal range: 0 – 40 IU/L)

Major Kidney Function:
· Creatinine (normal range: 0.5 – 1.5 mg/dl)
· BUN (normal range: 5 – 26 mg/dl)
· Creatinine/BUN ratio (normal range: 8 – 27)

Prostate Profile:
· PSA (normal range: 0.0 – 4.0 ng/dl)

** normal range references: www.lef.org

ON-LINE BLOODWORK SITES
Health-Test-Direct: *
Testosterone: Free/Total - Test Dependent
Thyroid: Various - Test Dependent
Lipid Panel - $35.00
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) (liver/kidney) - $20.00
GGT (GGTP) (liver) - $7.50
PSA - $45.00

* add $15.00 blood draw fee

GLOSSARY:

Lipid Panel: Used to determine possible risk for coronary and vascular disease. In other words, heart disease.

HDL: HDL is simply the "good" lipoprotein that acts as a scavenger molecule and prevents a buildup of material.

LDL: LDL is the "bad" lipoprotein which collects in arterial walls and causes blockage or a reduction in blood flow.

Triglycerides: Triglycerides are simply a form of fat that exists in the bloodstream. They're transported by two other culprits, VLDL and LDL. A high level of triglycerides is also a risk factor for heart disease as well. Triglycerides levels can be increased if food or alcohol is consumed 12 to 24 hours prior to the blood draw and this is the reason why you're asked to fast for 12-14 hours from food and abstain from alcohol for 24 hours.

Homocysteine: Homocysteine is formed in the metabolism of the dietary amino acid methionine. The problem is that it's a strong risk factor for atherosclerosis. High levels may cause you to have a heart attack. A good number of lifters should be concerned with this value as homocysteine levels rise with anabolic steroid usage.

BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen): This test measures the amount of urea nitrogen that's present in the blood. When protein is metabolized, the end product is urea which is formed in the liver and excreted from the bloodstream via the kidneys. This is why BUN is a good indicator of both liver and kidney function. Increased levels can stem from shock, burns, dehydration, congestive hear failure, myocardial infarction, excessive protein ingestion, excessive protein catabolism, starvation, sepsis, renal disease, renal failure, etc. Causes of a decrease in levels can be liver failure, overhydration, negative nitrogen balance via malnutrition, pregnancy, etc.

Creatinine: Creatinine is a byproduct of creatine phosphate, the chemical used in contraction of skeletal muscle. The more muscle mass you have, the higher the creatine levels and therefore the higher the levels of creatinine. Also, when you ingest large amounts of beef or other meats that have high levels of creatine in them, you can increase creatinine levels as well. Since creatinine levels are used to measure the functioning of the kidneys, this easily explains why creatine has been accused of causing kidney damage, since it naturally results in an increase in creatinine levels. However, we need to remember that these tests are only indicators of functioning and thus outside drugs and supplements can influence them and give false results, as creatine may do. This is why creatine, while increasing creatinine levels, does not cause renal damage or impair function. Generally speaking, though, increased levels are indicative of urinary tract obstruction, acute tubular necrosis, reduced renal blood flow (stemming from shock, dehydration, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis), as well as acromegaly. Decreased levels can be indicative of debilitation, and decreased muscle mass via disease or some other cause.

BUN/Creatinine Ratio: A high ratio may be found in states of shock, volume depletion, hypotension, dehydration, gastrointestinal bleeding, and in some cases, a catabolic state. A low ratio can be indicative of a low protein diet, malnutrition, pregnancy, severe liver disease, ketosis, etc. An important thing to note again is that with a high protein diet, you'll likely have a higher ratio and this is nothing to worry about.

Total Protein: This measures the total level of albumin and globulin in the body.

Albumin: Albumin is synthesized by the liver and as such is used as an indicator of liver function. It functions to transport hormones, enzymes, drugs and other constituents of the blood.

Globulins: Globulins are the building blocks of your body's antibodies. Measuring the levels of these two proteins is also an indicator of nutritional status. Increased albumin levels can result from dehydration, while decreased albumin levels can result from malnutrition, pregnancy, liver disease, overhydration, inflammatory diseases, etc. Increased globulin levels can result from inflammatory diseases, hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol), iron deficiency anemia, as well as infections. Decreased globulin levels can result from hyperthyroidism, liver dysfunction, malnutrition, and immune deficiencies or disorders. As another important side note, anabolic steroids, growth hormone, and insulin can all increase protein levels.

Bilirubin: Bilirubin is one of the many constituents of bile, which is formed in the liver. An increase in levels of bilirubin can be indicative of liver stress or damage/inflammation. Drugs that may increase bilirubin include oral anabolic steroids (17-AA), antibiotics, diuretics, morphine, codeine, contraceptives, etc. Drugs that may decrease levels are barbiturates and caffeine. Non-drug induced increased levels can be indicative of gallstones, extensive liver metastasis, and cholestasis from certain drugs, hepatitis, sepsis, sickle cell anemia, cirrhosis, etc.

Alkaline Phosphate: This enzyme is found in very high concentrations in the liver and for this reason is used as an indicator of liver stress or damage. Increased levels can stem from cirrhosis, liver tumor, pregnancy, healing fracture, normal bones of growing children, and rheumatoid arthritis. Decreased levels can stem from hypothyroidism, malnutrition, pernicious anemia, scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) and excess vitamin B ingestion. As a side note, antibiotics can cause an increase in the enzyme levels.

AST (Aspartate Aminotransferase, previously known as SGOT): This is yet another enzyme that's used to determine if there's damage or stress to the liver. It may also be used to see if heart disease is a possibility as well, but this isn't as accurate. When the liver is damaged or inflamed, AST levels can rise to a very high level (20 times the normal value). This happens because AST is released when the cells of that particular organ (liver) are lysed. The AST then enters blood circulation and an elevation can be seen. Increased levels can be indicative of heart disease, liver disease, skeletal muscle disease or injuries, as well as heat stroke. Decreased levels can be indicative of acute kidney disease, beriberi, diabetic ketoacidosis, pregnancy, and renal dialysis.

ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase, previously known as SGPT): This is yet another enzyme that is found in high levels within the liver. Injury or disease of the liver will result in an increase in levels of ALT. However, because lesser quantities are found in skeletal muscle, there could be a weight-training induced increase . Weight training causes damage to muscle tissue and thus could slightly elevate these levels, giving a false indicator for liver disease. Still, for the most part, it's a rather accurate diagnostic tool. Increased levels can be indicative of hepatitis, hepatic necrosis, cirrhosis, cholestasis, hepatic tumor, hepatotoxic drugs, and jaundice, as well as severe burns, trauma to striated muscle (via weight training), myocardial infarction, mononucleosis, and shock.

Estradiol: This being the most potent of the estrogens, I'm sure you're all aware that it can be responsible for things like water retention, hypertrophy of adipose tissue, gynecomastia, and perhaps even prostate hypertrophy and tumors. As a male it's very important to get your levels of this hormone checked for the above reasons. Also, it's the primary estrogen that's responsible for the negative feedback loop which suppresses endogenous Testosterone production. So, if your levels of estradiol are rather high, you can bet your ass that you'll be hypogonadal as well.
Increased estradiol levels can be indicative of a testicular tumor, adrenal tumor, hepatic cirrhosis, necrosis of the liver, hyperthyroidism, etc.

Thyroid (T3, T4 Total and Free, TSH):
T3 (Triiodothyronine): T3 is the more metabolically active hormone out of T4 and T3. When levels are below normal it's generally safe to assume that the individual is suffering from hypothyroidism. Drugs that may increase T3 levels include estrogen and oral contraceptives. Drugs that may decrease T3 levels include anabolic steroids/androgens as well as propanolol (a beta adrenergic blocker) and high dosages of salicylates. Increased levels can be indicative of Graves disease, acute thyroiditis, pregnancy, hepatitis, etc. Decreased levels can be indicative of hypothyroidism, protein malnutrition, kidney failure, Cushing's syndrome, cirrhosis, and liver diseases.
T4 (Thyroxine): T4 is just another indicator of whether or not someone is in a hypo or hyperthyroid state. It too is rather reliable but free thyroxine levels should be assessed as well. Drugs that increase of decrease T3 will, in most cases, do the same with T4. Increased levels are indicative of the same things as T3 and a decrease can be indicative of protein depleted states, iodine insufficiency, kidney failure, Cushing's syndrome, and cirrhosis.

Free T4 or Thyroxine: Since only 1-5% of the total amount of T4 is actually free and useable, this test is a far better indicator of the thyroid status of the patient. An increase indicates a hyperthyroid state and a decrease indicates a hypothyroid state. Drugs that increase free T4 are heparin, aspirin, danazol, and propanolol. Drugs that decrease it are furosemide, methadone, and rifampicin. Increased and decreased levels are indicative of the same possible diseases and states that are seen with T4 and T3.

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone): Measuring the level of TSH can be very helpful in terms of determining if the problem resides with the thyroid itself or the pituitary gland. If TSH levels are high, then it's merely the thyroid gland not responding for some reason but if TSH levels are low, it's the hypothalamus or pituitary gland that has something wrong with it. The problem could be a tumor, some type of trauma, or an infarction.
Drugs that can increase levels of TSH include lithium, potassium iodide and TSH itself. Drugs that may decrease TSH are aspirin, heparin, dopamine, T3, etc. Increased TSH is indicative of thyroiditis, hypothyroidism, and congenital cretinism. Decreased levels are indicative of hypothyroidism (pituitary dysfunction), hyperthyroidism, and pituitary hypofunction.
The above is a general test protocol. As most of you know there are a plethora of tests that can be done with more detail. I am trying to condense all of the generals, and then maybe add some of the greater details. IOW, depending upon your test facility, some provide a lot more in there reports then others do. A CMP, Lipid Profile, Hormone Panel, etc report may differ from lab to lab. Your suggestions are welcome.

I will also follow up with a couple test facilities and links to test requests/site.

Last edited:
ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good B, we just need to get the same format down.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks good B, we just need to get the same format down.
You are right. I am drafting on MS Word and it does not (for me) copy paste well. I think uniform formats, fonts, bullets, etc., will look very sharp.

L

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
You guys are impressing me with your technological wizardry. :box: :box: :box:

Would it be too much to ask if you could include some general #s on how much $$ the tests would cost if one was inclined to?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would it be too much to ask if you could include some general #s on how much $$ the tests would cost if one was inclined to?
It was my plan to include that with linkage to tests and sites. I have had several tests done at one site inparticular (valued customer discounts as well), and will try to get comparative $$ from others as well.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm MS word as well, 98 version. As soon as we get it all squared away, I can tweak it all on mine, I have some time until the summer semester starts.

By the way people start giving some feeback.:hammer:

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
You guys are putting the pressure on me to get moving on this :D I'm working this weekend (again) but will get something going (already started). I'm using Word as well. Let me know what format you are going with and I'll switch it over. I'll also give some feedback (Ryansm.....turn on your spell check :D)

BTW....are we allowed to source post on these stickies??? I don't want to get banned for creating this :lol:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wanted to update on a few items.

I have been editting my initial post with some new things like links for tests and respective costs. I will also be adding some more test variables (outside/addition to those basics), as well as a bit of a "glossary of terms" to discribe in short what each test item/result is for and what it deicloses about your system.

Also, we have not received much feedback and are still in need of a Liver: Prevention/Recovery guy to step up and draft something similar to what ryansm was generous enough to generate for the lipids. Hope to get more help.

I propose that we leave this open for a while while drafts get updated and we are able to get a Liver Guy as well as some much desired feedback. I know SJA and I have family and some demanding jobs as well, so we appreciate the help of SJA, and ryansm (he put the pressure on us), and the boards patience in getting this completed. Quality is the goal. Thanks

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
UPDATE:
OBJECTIVE
The following information is intended to be a general guideline and recommendation for blood work testing and respective test normal ranges. The author, nor AM, are not liable in any way for erroneous or inaccurate information. It is the sole responsibility of the individual to assure that their doctor or testing facility has the most current and up to date information and or testing procedures. In no way is any of this information intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any condition related to, or not, to the use of any substances or supplements discussed on this or any other message board. It is strongly advised that any and all matters regarding ones health and wellness be discussed with a healthcare professional.

GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS **
Major Hormones:
· Testosterone (normal range: 300 – 1200 ng/dl)
· Free testosterone (normal range: 8.7 – 25 pg/ml)
· IGF-1 (normal range: 109 – 284 ng/ml)
· Estradoil (normal range: 5 – 53 pg/ml)
· DHEA/DHEA-s (normal range: 120 – 520 ug/dl)

Full Thyroid Panel:
· T4 (normal range: 4.5 – 12 ug/dl)
· T3 (normal range: 2.3 – 4.2 pg/ml)
· TSH (normal range: .350 – 5.500 uIU/ml)

Lipid Profile:
· Total Cholesterol (normal healthy range 100 – 199 mg/dl)
· HDL (normal range: 40 – 59 mg/dl)
· LDL (normal range: 0 – 99 mg/dl)
· Triglycerides (normal range: 0 – 149 mg/dl)
· C-reactive protein (< 2.0 mg/l)
· Homocycteine (normal range: 6.3 – 15 umol/L)

Major Liver Function:
· Alkaline Phosphate (normal range: 25 – 150 umol/L)
· GGT (normal range: 0 – 65 IU/L)
· SGOT (AST) (normal range: 0 – 40 IU/L)
· SGPT (ALT) (normal range: 0 – 40 IU/L)
· Total Protein (normal range: 6.0 - 8.5 g/dl)
· Albumin (normal range: 3.5 - 5.5 g/dl)
· Globulin (normal range: 1.5 - 4.5 g/dl)
· Albumin/Globulin Ratio (normal range: 1.1 - 2.5)
· Bilirubin, Total (normal range: 0.1 - 1.2 mg/dl)

Major Kidney Function:
· Creatinine (normal range: 0.5 – 1.5 mg/dl)
· BUN (normal range: 5 – 26 mg/dl)
· Creatinine/BUN ratio (normal range: 8 – 27)

Prostate Profile:
· PSA (normal range: 0.0 – 4.0 ng/dl)

** normal range references: www.lef.org

ON-LINE BLOODWORK SITES

LifeExtension Blood Testing

Health-Test-Direct: *
Testosterone: Free/Total - Test Dependent
Thyroid: Various - Test Dependent
Lipid Panel - $35.00
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) (liver/kidney) - $20.00
GGT (GGTP) (liver) - $7.50
PSA - $45.00

* add $15.00 blood draw fee

GLOSSARY:

Lipid Panel: Used to determine possible risk for coronary and vascular disease. In other words, heart disease.

HDL: HDL is simply the "good" lipoprotein that acts as a scavenger molecule and prevents a buildup of material.

LDL: LDL is the "bad" lipoprotein which collects in arterial walls and causes blockage or a reduction in blood flow.

Triglycerides: Triglycerides are simply a form of fat that exists in the bloodstream. They're transported by two other culprits, VLDL and LDL. A high level of triglycerides is also a risk factor for heart disease as well. Triglycerides levels can be increased if food or alcohol is consumed 12 to 24 hours prior to the blood draw and this is the reason why you're asked to fast for 12-14 hours from food and abstain from alcohol for 24 hours.

Homocysteine: Homocysteine is formed in the metabolism of the dietary amino acid methionine. The problem is that it's a strong risk factor for atherosclerosis. High levels may cause you to have a heart attack. A good number of lifters should be concerned with this value as homocysteine levels rise with anabolic steroid usage.

BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen): This test measures the amount of urea nitrogen that's present in the blood. When protein is metabolized, the end product is urea which is formed in the liver and excreted from the bloodstream via the kidneys. This is why BUN is a good indicator of both liver and kidney function. Increased levels can stem from shock, burns, dehydration, congestive hear failure, myocardial infarction, excessive protein ingestion, excessive protein catabolism, starvation, sepsis, renal disease, renal failure, etc. Causes of a decrease in levels can be liver failure, overhydration, negative nitrogen balance via malnutrition, pregnancy, etc.

Creatinine: Creatinine is a byproduct of creatine phosphate, the chemical used in contraction of skeletal muscle. The more muscle mass you have, the higher the creatine levels and therefore the higher the levels of creatinine. Also, when you ingest large amounts of beef or other meats that have high levels of creatine in them, you can increase creatinine levels as well. Since creatinine levels are used to measure the functioning of the kidneys, this easily explains why creatine has been accused of causing kidney damage, since it naturally results in an increase in creatinine levels. However, we need to remember that these tests are only indicators of functioning and thus outside drugs and supplements can influence them and give false results, as creatine may do. This is why creatine, while increasing creatinine levels, does not cause renal damage or impair function. Generally speaking, though, increased levels are indicative of urinary tract obstruction, acute tubular necrosis, reduced renal blood flow (stemming from shock, dehydration, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis), as well as acromegaly. Decreased levels can be indicative of debilitation, and decreased muscle mass via disease or some other cause.

BUN/Creatinine Ratio: A high ratio may be found in states of shock, volume depletion, hypotension, dehydration, gastrointestinal bleeding, and in some cases, a catabolic state. A low ratio can be indicative of a low protein diet, malnutrition, pregnancy, severe liver disease, ketosis, etc. An important thing to note again is that with a high protein diet, you'll likely have a higher ratio and this is nothing to worry about.

Total Protein: This measures the total level of albumin and globulin in the body.

Albumin: Albumin is synthesized by the liver and as such is used as an indicator of liver function. It functions to transport hormones, enzymes, drugs and other constituents of the blood.

Globulins: Globulins are the building blocks of your body's antibodies. Measuring the levels of these two proteins is also an indicator of nutritional status. Increased albumin levels can result from dehydration, while decreased albumin levels can result from malnutrition, pregnancy, liver disease, overhydration, inflammatory diseases, etc. Increased globulin levels can result from inflammatory diseases, hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol), iron deficiency anemia, as well as infections. Decreased globulin levels can result from hyperthyroidism, liver dysfunction, malnutrition, and immune deficiencies or disorders. As another important side note, anabolic steroids, growth hormone, and insulin can all increase protein levels.

Bilirubin: Bilirubin is one of the many constituents of bile, which is formed in the liver. An increase in levels of bilirubin can be indicative of liver stress or damage/inflammation. Drugs that may increase bilirubin include oral anabolic steroids (17-AA), antibiotics, diuretics, morphine, codeine, contraceptives, etc. Drugs that may decrease levels are barbiturates and caffeine. Non-drug induced increased levels can be indicative of gallstones, extensive liver metastasis, and cholestasis from certain drugs, hepatitis, sepsis, sickle cell anemia, cirrhosis, etc.

Alkaline Phosphate: This enzyme is found in very high concentrations in the liver and for this reason is used as an indicator of liver stress or damage. Increased levels can stem from cirrhosis, liver tumor, pregnancy, healing fracture, normal bones of growing children, and rheumatoid arthritis. Decreased levels can stem from hypothyroidism, malnutrition, pernicious anemia, scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) and excess vitamin B ingestion. As a side note, antibiotics can cause an increase in the enzyme levels.

AST (Aspartate Aminotransferase, previously known as SGOT): This is yet another enzyme that's used to determine if there's damage or stress to the liver. It may also be used to see if heart disease is a possibility as well, but this isn't as accurate. When the liver is damaged or inflamed, AST levels can rise to a very high level (20 times the normal value). This happens because AST is released when the cells of that particular organ (liver) are lysed. The AST then enters blood circulation and an elevation can be seen. Increased levels can be indicative of heart disease, liver disease, skeletal muscle disease or injuries, as well as heat stroke. Decreased levels can be indicative of acute kidney disease, beriberi, diabetic ketoacidosis, pregnancy, and renal dialysis.

ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase, previously known as SGPT): This is yet another enzyme that is found in high levels within the liver. Injury or disease of the liver will result in an increase in levels of ALT. However, because lesser quantities are found in skeletal muscle, there could be a weight-training induced increase . Weight training causes damage to muscle tissue and thus could slightly elevate these levels, giving a false indicator for liver disease. Still, for the most part, it's a rather accurate diagnostic tool. Increased levels can be indicative of hepatitis, hepatic necrosis, cirrhosis, cholestasis, hepatic tumor, hepatotoxic drugs, and jaundice, as well as severe burns, trauma to striated muscle (via weight training), myocardial infarction, mononucleosis, and shock.

Estradiol: This being the most potent of the estrogens, I'm sure you're all aware that it can be responsible for things like water retention, hypertrophy of adipose tissue, gynecomastia, and perhaps even prostate hypertrophy and tumors. As a male it's very important to get your levels of this hormone checked for the above reasons. Also, it's the primary estrogen that's responsible for the negative feedback loop which suppresses endogenous Testosterone production. So, if your levels of estradiol are rather high, you can bet your ass that you'll be hypogonadal as well.
Increased estradiol levels can be indicative of a testicular tumor, adrenal tumor, hepatic cirrhosis, necrosis of the liver, hyperthyroidism, etc.

Thyroid (T3, T4 Total and Free, TSH):
T3 (Triiodothyronine): T3 is the more metabolically active hormone out of T4 and T3. When levels are below normal it's generally safe to assume that the individual is suffering from hypothyroidism. Drugs that may increase T3 levels include estrogen and oral contraceptives. Drugs that may decrease T3 levels include anabolic steroids/androgens as well as propanolol (a beta adrenergic blocker) and high dosages of salicylates. Increased levels can be indicative of Graves disease, acute thyroiditis, pregnancy, hepatitis, etc. Decreased levels can be indicative of hypothyroidism, protein malnutrition, kidney failure, Cushing's syndrome, cirrhosis, and liver diseases.

T4 (Thyroxine): T4 is just another indicator of whether or not someone is in a hypo or hyperthyroid state. It too is rather reliable but free thyroxine levels should be assessed as well. Drugs that increase of decrease T3 will, in most cases, do the same with T4. Increased levels are indicative of the same things as T3 and a decrease can be indicative of protein depleted states, iodine insufficiency, kidney failure, Cushing's syndrome, and cirrhosis.

Free T4 or Thyroxine: Since only 1-5% of the total amount of T4 is actually free and useable, this test is a far better indicator of the thyroid status of the patient. An increase indicates a hyperthyroid state and a decrease indicates a hypothyroid state. Drugs that increase free T4 are heparin, aspirin, danazol, and propanolol. Drugs that decrease it are furosemide, methadone, and rifampicin. Increased and decreased levels are indicative of the same possible diseases and states that are seen with T4 and T3.

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone): Measuring the level of TSH can be very helpful in terms of determining if the problem resides with the thyroid itself or the pituitary gland. If TSH levels are high, then it's merely the thyroid gland not responding for some reason but if TSH levels are low, it's the hypothalamus or pituitary gland that has something wrong with it. The problem could be a tumor, some type of trauma, or an infarction. Drugs that can increase levels of TSH include lithium, potassium iodide and TSH itself. Drugs that may decrease TSH are aspirin, heparin, dopamine, T3, etc. Increased TSH is indicative of thyroiditis, hypothyroidism, and congenital cretinism. Decreased levels are indicative of hypothyroidism (pituitary dysfunction), hyperthyroidism, and pituitary hypofunction.

Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA): PSA is produced by normal, hyperplastic, and cancerous prostatic tissue. Serum PSA has been found to be the most sensitive marker for monitoring individuals with prostate cancer and to enhance efficacy in monitoring progression of disease and response to therapy.

Last edited:
SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I've put together some quick info in haste (please be gentle). I've been working non-stop so I just kind of fit it in and will update with any inputs or extra things that I decide to post. Read and enjoy.

What this sticky will cover is prevention of BPH. Although this type of prevention will also help in the prevention of prostate cancer, that isn’t the goal here.

Personal experience:

I’ve had BPH symptoms since I was in my teens (a gift from my Father). I had been diagnosed with Prostatitis and was treated with antibiotics but found no relief. So I started digging around (no internet back in the day) to find information on how to help myself. Through experience, I’ve tried most supplements and other methods to keep the BPH at bay. I have a broken L5 (old injury) and when my lower back pains start…so do the symptoms of BPH. Obviously, the nerves in the lower back are tied directly to your lower organs. From time to time, I experience pretty much all of the symptoms bestowed to me by my genetically defective ancestry. One thing that I will add here is that if you are experiencing the “full� feeling and maybe have some leakage and haven’t “unloaded� for a while, you may be well advised to “milk� your prostate (yeah…that wasn’t just a joke between me and B5150…that is a genuine therapeutic deed). You can read up on this as there are many methods. I’ve also found that if you can just empty the tank so to speak by….let’s say….having more than one gratuitous booty call within the day or massaging the prostatic region (under your nutsack) while ejaculating to ensure complete evacuation will help with discomfort from being “full� and thus relieving some of the symptoms. BTW……you won’t get laid by just saying that it’s for medicinal purposes…..I’ve already tried that one ;~)
What Is The Prostate

Present only in males, the prostate is a small gland, approximately the size of a walnut. It is located below the bladder and surrounds the urethra. It secretes fluid which helps to transport sperm during ejaculation.
As men age, the prostate grows larger. The gland puts pressure on the urethra and can make urination difficult. Men usually experience some symptoms or prostate problems after age 50, but younger men can have difficulties as well. In our case, this is exacerbated by the use of AAS or PH/PS.
Prostate Problems
What Are Common Prostate Problems

PROSTATITIS
Infection of the prostate that can either be acute (one time only) or chronic (ongoing). Chronic prostatitis is usually more difficult to treat. Since the prostate tissue is rough in texture and has limited blood flow, it is hard to get the antibiotics to the source of infection to do any good. The bacteria has plenty of crevasses to hide in.
BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERTROPHY (BPH)
Enlargement of the prostate because of small non-cancerous tumors that grow inside the prostate. If not treated, BPH can cause incontinence, bladder infections, and possible kidney damage.
PROSTATE CANCER
Cancerous tumor may develop in the prostate. If not treated, the cancer can spread throughout the body. If detected early, chances for a complete recovery are good.
What Are The Common Symptoms Of Prostate Problems?
• fever, chills
• painful or difficult urination
• pain erection and/or ejaculation
• pain in lower back, or groin area
• weakening of the urine stream
• frequent or urgent urination
Supplementation for BPH (Most of these I would split over the course of the day in to two doses)

Zinc/copper 15 – 60mg / day and 1-3 mg/day
Quercetin 100 – 250mg / day
Beta-sitosterol 200 – 500mg / day (although I take a gram per day)
Pregnenolone – 50mg/day
Saw Palmetto 320mg/day (although I’ve taken up to a gram in order to see any relief)
Progesterone
Phytosterols
Nettle root 600mg/day
EFA’s
Pygeum – 200mg/day
Pumpkin Seed oil – 150-200mg (3X per day)

Supplementation for cancer prevention

Lycopene 20-60mg per day
I3C
Garlic extract

Supplemental information:

Zinc - Normal human prostate accumulates the highest levels of zinc of any soft tissue in the body. Zinc has a range of functions. It plays a crucial role in growth and cell division where it is required for protein and DNA synthesis, in insulin activity, in the metabolism of the ovaries and testes, and in liver function. As a component of many enzymes, zinc is involved in the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and energy. Just be aware that over 100mg of zinc per day will increase your risk of prostate cancer….so don’t overdo it.

Quercetin – Used mostly for Prostatitus. It is a known anti-oxidant, tyrosine kinase inhibitor, nitric oxide inhibitor, anti-inflammatory (inhibits NF-kB, blocks PGE-2 and cox-2 gene expression) and inhibitor of histamine and cytokine release from mast cells (quercetin inhibits the release of histamine, leukotrienes (LTs), prostaglandin D2 (PGD2), and granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) from human cultured mast cells).

http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/qfacts.html

Beta Sitosterol - Beta-sitosterol is one of many sterols (phytosterols) that come from plants and have a structure like the cholesterol produced in the body. Phytosterols are found in most plants and thus in foods such as rice bran, wheat germ, corn oils, soybeans, and peanuts. Beta-sitosterol is also available as a dietary supplement. This compound by itself or along with other plant sterols can reduce blood levels of cholesterol. Although the studies have varying degrees of success for treating BPH, I have found this to be remarkably effective.

Pregnenolone – Pregnenolone is a naturally occurring steroid found in animal tissues including the adrenal gland, brain and gonads. Pregnenolone is synthesized from cholesterol and is the precursor to a number of steriod hormones, including DHEA and progesterone. While many effects of pregnenolone have been reported it appears that the most powerful affect that pregnenolone offers is its ability to enhance memory. Since pregnenolone is converted into DHEA within the body, some of our precautions for DHEA may apply to pregnenolone. For many people, pregnenolone will raise DHEA serum levels to reduce the need for DHEA supplementation.

Saw Palmetto - Numerous test tube, animal, and human studies indicate that an oily compound in saw palmetto berries reduces the discomforts of a mild to moderately enlarged prostate. While the herb doesn't actually shrink this gland, it does appear to prevent it from getting any larger. How it accomplishes this remains a matter of debate. Research points to an anti-inflammatory action and an ability to inhibit the hormones (possibly including a form of testosterone) that cause prostate cells to multiply. Antiandrogenic (anti-male sex hormone) actions have also been implicated.

Progesterone - Progesterone is the precursor to the body's production of all other hormones. Natural progesterone is chemically identical to progesterone found in the human body. In the body progesterone is synthesized from Pregnenolone which is synthesized from cholesterol. Progesterone is not found in any plant. Natural progesterone is synthesized into the actual human hormone from fat saponins such as diosgenin from Mexican wild yam or from soy using a special laboratory synthesis called the Marker Method. Progesterone is NOT Progestin.

Phytosterols - Phytosterols are plant fats similar in structure as the animal fat cholesterol, except they have an extra ethyl group on the side chain. All plants, including fruits, vegetables, grains, spices, seeds and nuts contain these sterol compounds or sterolins, with some of the most commonly found phytosterols being
beta-sitosterol (BSS), stigmasterol, and campesterol. Plant oils are a particularly rich source of phyto-sterols, however all sources are thought to be effective in the treatment or prevention of high cholesterol, or hypercholesterolemia.

Some useful links
http://www.hormoneprofile.com/bioidenticalmen.htm
http://prostatitis.org/bphlinks.html
Here is a prostate care book which was given to me by Rogue Drone. There is some great info in here, but there are a few things which I would disagree with so don't hold me accountable when you read things such as "take 1 gram Glutamine twice per day". Nonetheless, it has some useful tidbits for your reading pleasure.

Attachments

Last edited:
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is becoming quite extensive and comprehensive indeed. Excellent work Steve!

Board members: Obviously the authors of this have a lot of knowledge and/or reference to such knowledge. I strongly encourage you guys to view and review and pose your inquiries and suggestions/requests and add your contributions. This is for you...and for you to refer others to. It will be as much yours as anyones.

Ryan, Steve,...couldn't have gotten this far without you :goodpost:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is becoming quite extensive and comprehensive indeed. Excellent work Steve!

Board members: Obviously the authors of this have a lot of knowledge and/or reference to such knowledge. I strongly encourage you guys to view and review and pose your inquiries and suggestions/requests and add your contributions. This is for you...and for you to refer others to. It will be as much yours as anyones.

Ryan, Steve,...couldn't have gotten this far without you :goodpost:
Ditto, it was your idea.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
My Bad! I missed that on the last page. Excellent work Ry:thumbsup:

To all the philanthropic bodybuilders out there:cheers:

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Solid work guys. I read them all fairly thorough, but I'll give them another thorough read later. Good work so far guys!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
SJA and B5150, great general info!

Ryansm, sweet write-up and good ref's too!

:goodpost: