Anyone else struggle with Alcohol?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
So I used to be a very avid member of the AnabolicMinds community. Not sure how many of the guys from back then are still around. Not the point though. I am just reaching out to vent a bit, maybe for a little encouragement, and to see if anyone else struggles with alcohol like myself.

A little history. I have been working out on and off since I was 16 (I am now 31). I always loved it. From the time I worked out in high school, to the Marines, to college, and then just in general once my adult life began. However, I fell in to a rut. I met my fiancee 6 years ago and we both liked to party but it never really go in the way of anything until about two years ago. It used to be I would workout and do physical labor and we would drink once or twice a week if that. I switched jobs in 2014 and going to work for a moron was stressing me out crazy and we started drinking a lot more. A few months later I switched jobs to being an installer for Directv. It was sick money and it was still physical labor but the drinking habit never changed. We were drinking on a daily basis and not like a few drinks. We would kill a bottle of vodka in two days. I shouldn't even say "we were" because we still ARE almost two years later drinking on a daily basis. It's absolutely disgusting as well because we don't even drinking doing anything fun, we come home and watch our tv shows and drink while we watch them... what kind of way is that to live? Be both agree constantly that we need to drink because she has gained weight (10-15 lbs) and I have ****ing ballooned. I am up about 60 lbs from where I want to be. But I guess over 1000 calories in vodka night will do that do you.

So I am going to make a change. We used to love going out on the lake and the beach. Now we don't do either because we are both ashamed. Today I had to go buy swim trunks because our good friends invited us on the boat. We both almost said no to going because we are embarrassed. So I bought the trunks and was absolutely disgusted looking at myself in the mirror knows I have to let out friends see my fat body. But I am going to do it, because I have to let other people see it... I can tell myself all day that I am going to make change but if I hide it from others I am just going to hide it from myself...

So like I said... this post is a bit of wondering if others struggle, myself admitting I need change, and I hope I find the same motivation from this board that I used to. When I was active on this board, logging daily, logging supplements, and just contributing to other posts is when I was in my best shape ever. I was very close to getting the body I wanted (maybe about 2 or 3% to go) and I let it all slip...

Hope you guys have a good weekend and I hope to hear I am not the only one struggling!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Good luck man. I don't drink anymore, not that I had a problem. Hangover on a cruise ship made me decide not to. But I've been much bigger the last 2 years than ever. No amount of shaming or browbeating would motivate me to at least stop eating crap. I'm an Fios installer and travel a decent amount staying in hotels and working 12-14 hous a day. I surely ain't working out. My wife has been on me to get back in the groove with her. We are going on a cruise in oct. I've been on my last 2 cruises much bigger than I like. But I finally "made the decision" to stop being a slob. I haven't taken much time to work out, but I have changed my eating habits back to where I need them to be. I'm down about 20 pounds since March or april. I need to be around 185 or so. So I have about 30 to go. I can't help on the drinking part other than stop juying the alcohol and bringing it home. I know people that were heavy smokers that quit cold turkey. I know folks that have stopped drinking cold turkey. I stopped eating donuts and ice cream cold turkey. It's possible, you just have to make the decision to do it. The quote I used to be told that I despise the most is "its just a decision."

It really is.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
You are making a step in the right direction, that is the most important part of this. Realizing that you have had enough and have a problem. When something is easy quitting is always twice as hard.

Changing up the lifestyle helps but it needs to be done in stages. Why? The minute you feel stressed or get pressure from those who aren't around, guess what you are going to do?

Make an interesting game out of this and put the challenge to each other. Go to your local drugstore or food store and buy 2 disposable cameras. Take the pics in those swim shorts you bought. Get all the shots side, front and back and make sure she takes your and you do the same.

Put those cameras away in a safe place for now and forget about them

Get your cell phone and take 1 or 2 pics of yourself on each of your phones. When you are getting ready in the AM, look at those pics and tell yourself this isn't me and Im making the change.

For the next 30, bust your ass in the gym, help each other and have fun with it. on the 31st day, go and get the disposable and get them developed and show each other. Progress will prove that you are in the right direction.

If you feel that you are stumbling or don't have the desire to go to the gym in that first 30 days, go to where you put the cameras, hold them in your hand and remember the commitment you are making.

Good Luck bro

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good for you on coming to the point of wanting to make the change.

Alcohol has never been something I've cared much for, so that hasn't tested me, but food has. It's very easy for me to turn away from things and slip back into nasty old habits. And one thing I can say that is similar in these cases is letting others see you and forcing yourself to realize a change is needed. That's a surefire way to do it.

Best of luck in getting back on the right path, brother.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
I've hit it hard off and on for years ever since I got out of the Army. I find in order to cut it out I have to dive full force into the gym. I fall into a groove easy weather its throwing drinks back or lifting like a animal, Small steps brother.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
So I used to be a very avid member of the AnabolicMinds community. Not sure how many of the guys from back then are still around. Not the point though. I am just reaching out to vent a bit, maybe for a little encouragement, and to see if anyone else struggles with alcohol like myself.

A little history. I have been working out on and off since I was 16 (I am now 31). I always loved it. From the time I worked out in high school, to the Marines, to college, and then just in general once my adult life began. However, I fell in to a rut. I met my fiancee 6 years ago and we both liked to party but it never really go in the way of anything until about two years ago. It used to be I would workout and do physical labor and we would drink once or twice a week if that. I switched jobs in 2014 and going to work for a moron was stressing me out crazy and we started drinking a lot more. A few months later I switched jobs to being an installer for Directv. It was sick money and it was still physical labor but the drinking habit never changed. We were drinking on a daily basis and not like a few drinks. We would kill a bottle of vodka in two days. I shouldn't even say "we were" because we still ARE almost two years later drinking on a daily basis. It's absolutely disgusting as well because we don't even drinking doing anything fun, we come home and watch our tv shows and drink while we watch them... what kind of way is that to live? Be both agree constantly that we need to drink because she has gained weight (10-15 lbs) and I have ****ing ballooned. I am up about 60 lbs from where I want to be. But I guess over 1000 calories in vodka night will do that do you.

So I am going to make a change. We used to love going out on the lake and the beach. Now we don't do either because we are both ashamed. Today I had to go buy swim trunks because our good friends invited us on the boat. We both almost said no to going because we are embarrassed. So I bought the trunks and was absolutely disgusted looking at myself in the mirror knows I have to let out friends see my fat body. But I am going to do it, because I have to let other people see it... I can tell myself all day that I am going to make change but if I hide it from others I am just going to hide it from myself...

So like I said... this post is a bit of wondering if others struggle, myself admitting I need change, and I hope I find the same motivation from this board that I used to. When I was active on this board, logging daily, logging supplements, and just contributing to other posts is when I was in my best shape ever. I was very close to getting the body I wanted (maybe about 2 or 3% to go) and I let it all slip...

Hope you guys have a good weekend and I hope to hear I am not the only one struggling!
I think that this is kind of how life goes honestly. I'm almost 27 but I can say from 25 - 27 has been an entirely new beast.

I was getting close to drinking a couple of beers a night for a while because it's relaxing, and it's a good way to mentally get away.

What got me back on the good path was realizing how hard it would be to get back in shape once I get older so I thought, I better get in shape now lol.

Weirdly, I've found it harder to get motivated at times the older I get. I think it's because I like to be the best at everything I do, and now I know what needs to be done to be the best. All of that equals a **** load of time which we have less and less of, and I would rather not start something because of the time commitment.

[HR][/HR]

Start one day at a time... One meal at a time... One workout at a time...

You can do this.

josun

Awards
  • Established
I feel like i have a problem. i drink really heavy on Friday and Saturday for about 3 years now been trying to stop for awhile now but im unable to. The struggle is real

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Not saying this is the solution , but set some rules.

1st No alcohol in the house for casual drinking. Having a party fine , when it's over, give it away at the end of the night, but just don't have it in the house after. Think of it as prep for when or if the 2 of you decide to have a kid.

2nd No alcohol in the house. Don't buy it when out once your home, don't go out and get it, just don't bring it in the house .

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys! Thanks so much for the responses. It is one thing that I love about this forum. Every since becoming a member here in 2008 there has always been a sense of community on this forum compared to other forums that are full of trolls and negativity. Given it still happens here from time to time. Your positive responses have already helped me a ton. Being completely open with my suspicions that I have a problem I believe have helped as well.

A quick update. Yesterday was my first full day without a drink. I did struggle a bit but once I got to keeping myself busy with running to the store, grilling food, food prep for a few days, and some cleaning... my mind was completely occupied... felt accomplished and didn't crave. Onward and upward

Good luck man. I don't drink anymore, not that I had a problem. Hangover on a cruise ship made me decide not to. But I've been much bigger the last 2 years than ever. No amount of shaming or browbeating would motivate me to at least stop eating crap. I'm an Fios installer and travel a decent amount staying in hotels and working 12-14 hous a day. I surely ain't working out. My wife has been on me to get back in the groove with her. We are going on a cruise in oct. I've been on my last 2 cruises much bigger than I like. But I finally "made the decision" to stop being a slob. I haven't taken much time to work out, but I have changed my eating habits back to where I need them to be. I'm down about 20 pounds since March or april. I need to be around 185 or so. So I have about 30 to go. I can't help on the drinking part other than stop juying the alcohol and bringing it home. I know people that were heavy smokers that quit cold turkey. I know folks that have stopped drinking cold turkey. I stopped eating donuts and ice cream cold turkey. It's possible, you just have to make the decision to do it. The quote I used to be told that I despise the most is "its just a decision."

It really is.
The installing life was horrible for me. Either I would barely eat at all when I worked for DirecTV or I would stop for fast food every day... and on top of that we were so busy and getting treated like such ****... it drove me to drink every night. Have fun on that cruise! I went on one in the past and it was probably the funnest thing I have ever done.

You are making a step in the right direction, that is the most important part of this. Realizing that you have had enough and have a problem. When something is easy quitting is always twice as hard.

Changing up the lifestyle helps but it needs to be done in stages. Why? The minute you feel stressed or get pressure from those who aren't around, guess what you are going to do?

Make an interesting game out of this and put the challenge to each other. Go to your local drugstore or food store and buy 2 disposable cameras. Take the pics in those swim shorts you bought. Get all the shots side, front and back and make sure she takes your and you do the same.

Put those cameras away in a safe place for now and forget about them

Get your cell phone and take 1 or 2 pics of yourself on each of your phones. When you are getting ready in the AM, look at those pics and tell yourself this isn't me and Im making the change.

For the next 30, bust your ass in the gym, help each other and have fun with it. on the 31st day, go and get the disposable and get them developed and show each other. Progress will prove that you are in the right direction.

If you feel that you are stumbling or don't have the desire to go to the gym in that first 30 days, go to where you put the cameras, hold them in your hand and remember the commitment you are making.

Good Luck bro

Thanks for the advice brotha! I like the idea of taking pictures. I did actually take some in the changing booth when I bought the shorts. I plan on looking back at those pictures soon when I know I have made a decent progress. Unfortunately I am also someone that in order to continue feeling motivated I have to look at the scale almost daily... also a habit I need to break!

Good for you on coming to the point of wanting to make the change.

Alcohol has never been something I've cared much for, so that hasn't tested me, but food has. It's very easy for me to turn away from things and slip back into nasty old habits. And one thing I can say that is similar in these cases is letting others see you and forcing yourself to realize a change is needed. That's a surefire way to do it.

Best of luck in getting back on the right path, brother.

Thanks brother, I agree completely. I had to take my shirt off in front of my friend and his gf on Saturday. And my buddy isn't ripped but he has been working out for like 25 years so he is stacked. He a super down to earth jackass off a guy so he could care less but it still felt good afterwards to know I was exposing my insecurities to others and in turn makes it so I can expose them to myself. Thanks for the positive words.

I've hit it hard off and on for years ever since I got out of the Army. I find in order to cut it out I have to dive full force into the gym. I fall into a groove easy weather its throwing drinks back or lifting like a animal, Small steps brother.
I definitely was really bad for awhile when I got out of the Marines but once I got in in control. Mostly through the gym as well I was good for a long time. I agree small ****ing steps!

I think that this is kind of how life goes honestly. I'm almost 27 but I can say from 25 - 27 has been an entirely new beast.

I was getting close to drinking a couple of beers a night for a while because it's relaxing, and it's a good way to mentally get away.

What got me back on the good path was realizing how hard it would be to get back in shape once I get older so I thought, I better get in shape now lol.

Weirdly, I've found it harder to get motivated at times the older I get. I think it's because I like to be the best at everything I do, and now I know what needs to be done to be the best. All of that equals a **** load of time which we have less and less of, and I would rather not start something because of the time commitment.

[HR][/HR]

Start one day at a time... One meal at a time... One workout at a time...

You can do this.
It's so much harder to stay in shape as you get older! I told myself it was time for change when I hit 230... now I was 260 a week ago.... wrong ****ing direction lol

I feel like i have a problem. i drink really heavy on Friday and Saturday for about 3 years now been trying to stop for awhile now but im unable to. The struggle is real

I totally understand where you are coming from brother. It's so hard to break habit like this... it's almost like a routine... a sick ****ing routine... Like I said in that PM though. We can totally keep each accountable through the forum. I am taken back a bit by all the positive responses, I expected at least a couple negative responses. Through embracing the positivity of others and staying dedicated I am sure we can do it.

Not saying this is the solution , but set some rules.

1st No alcohol in the house for casual drinking. Having a party fine , when it's over, give it away at the end of the night, but just don't have it in the house after. Think of it as prep for when or if the 2 of you decide to have a kid.

2nd No alcohol in the house. Don't buy it when out once your home, don't go out and get it, just don't bring it in the house .
I definitely think this is a good idea. Will also help us to only have a drink or so when we go out. Instead of just at home. thanks for the advice!

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
i hear that bro, little goals here and there- whatever it takes by all means if it helps then do it.

keep us all posted and if you need anything, dont hesitate to ask- i think i speak for all of us here

S

RugbyBaller91

RugbyBaller91

Awards
FlawedGrunt congrats on deciding to change brother just try to stick with it your liver will def thank you there's tons of support on here if you need it

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I used to until I got on TRT. I had no desire to drink once my test level was in the high normal range along with being content with life and so much happier