Reebok vs Adidas

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I'm torn between the Adidas Powerlift 3's and the Reebok Crossfit Lifter 2.0's. I've tried other reebok's and adidas and they were comfy. I didn't know if the flatter foot platform of the powerlifts would be better for lifting.

Main use: I'll be doing either StrongLifts 5x5 or the Bulgarian Method (Powerlifting Beginner). I just want some shoes to help me with my squat form.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is having tight calves/immobile ankles an issue in your squat?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Not tight calves. Maybe immobile ankles. I haven't paid enough attention to them. My knees want to dip in and out, but I was told that was because my quads need work. I just want to feel more grounded and secure in my squat.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not tight calves. Maybe immobile ankles. I haven't paid enough attention to them. My knees want to dip in and out, but I was told that was because my quads need work. I just want to feel more grounded and secure in my squat.
Reason I ask is that the heel height, and the need for a heel at all, is partially dictated by ankle/calf mobility. An elevated heel does change the mechanics of a squat and needs to be considered. There are other factors beyond that (height, squat style, use for the shoe), but, unless it's from your ankles pronating, you may not even need a heel to lessen the knee cave.

Post a video of your squat. It may be something entirely different than you think.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Reason I ask is that the heel height, and the need for a heel at all, is partially dictated by ankle/calf mobility. An elevated heel does change the mechanics of a squat and needs to be considered. There are other factors beyond that (height, squat style, use for the shoe), but, unless it's from your ankles pronating, you may not even need a heel to lessen the knee cave.

Post a video of your squat. It may be something entirely different than you think.
Okay. I will on Monday when I have a cameraman to help me film.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Rodja I'm still going to post the video, but when I squatted in some New Balance barefoot shoes, but felt unstable. Then I stood on some weight plates and felt more solid aside from the knees caving in. Could this be a sign of the immobile ankles?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja I'm still going to post the video, but when I squatted in some New Balance barefoot shoes, but felt unstable. Then I stood on some weight plates and felt more solid aside from the knees caving in. Could this be a sign of the immobile ankles?
Possibly, but it could also be a technical error that can be easily adjusted.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Possibly, but it could also be a technical error that can be easily adjusted.
Alright. I'll post a video on Monday and see how it looks and get your opinion.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Depth is much better but can't see your knees bc the rack is in the way lol
Man. If it's not one thing it's, another. Lol. Knees felt good, but on that 3rd or 4th one where I flailed, but I tend to feel more secure in a wider stance. Form looked alright though?

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When I started squatting heavy I used regular sneaks. Started hurting my knees. I wear chucks now and have now issues. Have you tried a pair of those?

When squatting I like to keep my feet just outside shoulder width and parallel. I feel more comfortable and stable that way. Just my two cents.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
When I started squatting heavy I used regular sneaks. Started hurting my knees. I wear chucks now and have now issues. Have you tried a pair of those?

When squatting I like to keep my feet just outside shoulder width and parallel. I feel more comfortable and stable that way. Just my two cents.
I haven't worn chucks before, but I just got some new Reebok Crossfit Lite TR's which are identical to them with more padding around the ankle and up the leg a bit.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I have a friend that swears by the Reebok lifters. Personally, I squat in Chucks. Take a glace around the gym at the old heads, you will probably see a sea of Chucks. I own a pair of Nano 5, there an all around shoe, but they really don't have much support. However, their great to lift in, and don't squish.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend that swears by the Reebok lifters. Personally, I squat in Chucks. Take a glace around the gym at the old heads, you will probably see a sea of Chucks. I own a pair of Nano 5, there an all around shoe, but they really don't have much support. However, their great to lift in, and don't squish.
Yeah I have a pair of Nano 4's. I got some of the Crossfit Lite TR's. They are like the high top chucks, but with more padding. They are pretty comfy to wear, but I will post back how they are with squatting and deadlifting.ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1467222642.157695.jpg

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I like those, I use to wear chucks to xfit, but stopped bc they were horrible to run in. Which is why I bought the Nanos.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
The nano 5's look interesting. Once my current running shoes die I'll invest in those or the 6's.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
The nano 5's look interesting. Once my current running shoes die I'll invest in those or the 6's.
I picked up mine from Finish Line for $80, that was the best deal I could find. It is a very universal shoe for a WOD.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I picked up mine from Finish Line for $80, that was the best deal I could find. It is a very universal shoe for a WOD.
Haha I looked there at first when I was deciding between the Metcon 2's and Nano 5's.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I know this is a bit late, but I notice you tend to push off the balls of your feet. Drive yourself and the weight up with your heels, youll get more stability.
Any tips/help are never late to me. I'll try that today and see how that goes.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any tips/help are never late to me. I'll try that today and see how that goes.
Sounds good. Start light weight with it as you're retraining your body's mechanics. Believe it or not, it takes a good bit of concentration to drive from the heels rather than the front of your feet, but once you get the hang of, itll be much easier! Let me know how it works out for you

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Sounds good. Start light weight with it as you're retraining your body's mechanics. Believe it or not, it takes a good bit of concentration to drive from the heels rather than the front of your feet, but once you get the hang of, itll be much easier! Let me know how it works out for you
I agree with FireTitan, once you are accustom to driving with your heals, you know when you screw it up, lol. MistrJay looks like your stance is slightly to wide, which is why you are driving from your toes to heals. Once you narrow your stance, driving from your heals will feel natural, and provide more power.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I agree with FireTitan, once you are accustom to driving with your heals, you know when you screw it up, lol. MistrJay looks like your stance is slightly to wide, which is why you are driving from your toes to heals. Once you narrow your stance, driving from your heals will feel natural, and provide more power.
Thanks you guys. I'll narrow up my stance some and work on driving from the heels.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I freaking loved lifting on Chucks, here's my problem though my feet are so wide that I blow out the sides of the shoe. I really need a good squats/deadlift shoe as they keep anchored to the ground then my Nikes, any suggestions?!

Here are my Flintstone feet next to my Nike 7.5 EEEE, damn things are wider than they are long.

Attachments

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I freaking loved lifting on Chucks, here's my problem though my feet are so wide that I blow out the sides of the shoe. I really need a good squats/deadlift shoe as they keep anchored to the ground then my Nikes, any suggestions?!

Here are my Flintstone feet next to my Nike 7.5 EEEE, damn things are wider than they are long.
Damn, Fred! lol.
My friend loves the Reebok Lifter Plus 2.0, but Im not sure how wide they come in.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

The Crossfit Lite TR's are identical to Chucks, but somewhat wider. Maybe those could be an option?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Joe12 should I shift my all of my weight to my heel when squatting?

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
The Crossfit Lite TR's are identical to Chucks, but somewhat wider. Maybe those could be an option?
Thanks, I saw em at a decent price, I'll have to give Reebok a call.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Joe12 should I shift my all of my weight to my heel when squatting?
You got it, you will feel it primarily in your heals, and "some" in the middle of your foot. The main objective is to make sure your not driving from your toes. I would recommend testing it with some light weight a couple times. If it doesn't feel right, you will probably need to tweak your stance. Its the same concept as doing a dead lift, you drive through your heals.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You got it, you will feel it primarily in your heals, and "some" in the middle of your foot. The main objective is to make sure your not driving from your toes. I would recommend testing it with some light weight a couple times. If it doesn't feel right, you will probably need to tweak your stance. Its the same concept as doing a dead lift, you drive through your heals.
Exactly. As I said, start off light. You could actually place a 10lb plate under under your toes while starting with the lighter squats, in order to train your body to stay on those heels. Once it becomes a little easier, add weight to the lift and remove the plates from under your toes!

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. As I said, start off light. You could actually place a 10lb plate under under your toes while starting with the lighter squats, in order to train your body to stay on those heels. Once it becomes a little easier, add weight to the lift and remove the plates from under your toes!
Alright I'll do that. Thanks you guys.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Alright I did some squats and deads today and my squats felt on point. I "screwed" my heels into the ground and I lifted the weight no problem (started off light and did it with 10's on each side). Then when it came to deadlifts I didn't feel quite right. I felt more of it from my toes than my heels. Is there anything I can do to fix this on my deadlift? Joe12 FireTitan

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright I did some squats and deads today and my squats felt on point. I "screwed" my heels into the ground and I lifted the weight no problem (started off light and did it with 10's on each side). Then when it came to deadlifts I didn't feel quite right. I felt more of it from my toes than my heels. Is there anything I can do to fix this on my deadlift? Joe12 FireTitan
All I can say is the same thing, get on them heels. Post a video so we see your deads

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I'd have to see a video... but a lot of times when you end up on your toes it's from a bad start. Your head and chest should be over the bar, and your back should be straight. Also, make sure you are driving your heals (push with your legs), don't pull with your arms.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd have to see a video... but a lot of times when you end up being your toes it's from a bad start. Your head and chest should be over the bar, and your back should be straight. Also, make sure you are driving your heals (push with your legs), don't pull with your arms.
Well put.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established

Dang it, look at those things!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Try dropping your ass a bit

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established