Leaving tips for tattoos

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Leaving tips for tattoos

Hey everyone, come August I'll be going in for my first session of getting sleeves done. Both the tattoo artist and I will be putting in lots of time, along with this costing me a pretty penny.

Curious on what everyone feels is an acceptable amount of money to tip your tattoo artist?

Does it depend on their hourly rate, or how much they charge by the individual piece?

So far I have 4 sessions booked, do I tip after each session or at the end of all 4?

Much thanks!

2. you should tip and i have tipped based on price. if your price is 500 i go with 20%, 25 after each session. Dont tip prior or upfront. if something happens that you have to change times or they get jammed up and its a month later, they could forget you gave them a tip and then you get into the Seinfeld thing- When George threw the money in the tip jar but the guy didnt see it.
    Vitalize Supplements Rep // www.vitalizesupplements.com
    Use code Smith15 for 15% off your order!
    Follow me on Instagram Smith_69_16
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by smith_69 View Post
    you should tip and i have tipped based on price. if your price is 500 i go with 20%, 25 after each session. Dont tip prior or upfront. if something happens that you have to change times or they get jammed up and its a month later, they could forget you gave them a tip and then you get into the Seinfeld thing- When George threw the money in the tip jar but the guy didnt see it.
    Thanks my man. I had a chest piece done years ago and tipped waaaaay too much haha. Don't want to make that mistake again, 20-25% sounds logical. Appreciate it!

4. I had the luck of winning a free tattoo session valued at $500 so I just gave the dude $75 cash for his trouble. I guess that's 15%.

He has told me previous winners haven't given him **** though which would suck after hours of his work for free.
    I'm here to swap stories, help when I can, and make people laugh. Don't take me too seriously.

5. Quote Originally Posted by lifted67 View Post
    I had the luck of winning a free tattoo session valued at $500 so I just gave the dude $75 cash for his trouble. I guess that's 15%.

He has told me previous winners haven't given him **** though which would suck after hours of his work for free.
    what did you get
    •   

6. A bull with wings, symbol for Saint Luke, in memory of my grandfather Luke.
    I'm here to swap stories, help when I can, and make people laugh. Don't take me too seriously.

7. I'm heading in Monday for a 5 hour shading session on a massive outline that extends from my leg to my armpit, completely covering my ribs and wraps around my back. Wish me luck lol

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I'm heading in Monday for a 5 hour shading session on a massive outline that extends from my leg to my armpit, completely covering my ribs and wraps around my back. Wish me luck lol
    Never commit a crime again, that'll be a helluva distinguishing feature lol

9. I've only tipped my tattoo artist once and it was $80 on a $300 tattoo
    SPARTA NUTRITION REP
    Use code ZEUS15 for 15% off at checkout
    www.spartanutrition.com

10. I tip about $60 per session, on multisession pieces. Each one of my sessions for example lately have been $750. I think that's fair. His rate is $250/hr

11. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I tip about $60 per session, on multisession pieces. Each one of my sessions for example lately have been $750. I think that's fair. His rate is $250/hr
    $250 an hour damn , homie better be damn good . Does he specialize in anything specific ?
    SPARTA NUTRITION REP
    www.spartanutrition.com
  12. Leaving tips for tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Joedoubledose View Post
    $250 an hour damn , homie better be damn good . Does he specialize in anything specific ?
    http://savedtattoo.com/portfolio/anderson-luna/

Sure does He's one of the best blackworkers around.

He's also done work on Heath Ledger. Celebrity tattoo shop, one of the best in NYC.

The piece I'm getting is massive too. Taking about 5 sessions. Not cheap

13. I for the first time didn't leave a tip for a tattoo. I always waited till after a tattoo was done, and paid for the tattoo. Then part of how i'd base the tattoo was what they charged vs what the tattoo was worth.

WP_20160617_10_12_16_RichSmall.jpg

Got this one in Puerto rico last week. Just adding the 3 little coquis - a type of frog, this is the style of the taino Indians cave drawings. The tattoo above it is something my wife and I had done on our 18th anniversary, so we also got this done together since it was an addon to the above. Anyhow, as you can guess it took all of 5 minutes to do each of us, even adding some time for "design" (we had it pre-printed) etc. couldn't have been a half hour.

That shop's rates are 80 for a half hour, 125 per hour. When we got up front to pay, they charged us as 2 1/2 hour sessions since there were two people. So no tip on that one

14. Yup for really short session, no real need to tip.

Mine's taking multiple lonnnng sessions. Here's a few pics of the progress. This guy is definitely worth his rate.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466176867.398979.jpg

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466176877.023542.jpg

15. I'd tip $25-$40 every session, especially since you have a few.
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

16. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I tip about $60 per session, on multisession pieces. Each one of my sessions for example lately have been $750. I think that's fair. His rate is $250/hr
    That's helllllllllla!!!!
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

17. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Yup for really short session, no real need to tip.

Mine's taking multiple lonnnng sessions. Here's a few pics of the progress. This guy is definitely worth his rate.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466176867.398979.jpg

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466176877.023542.jpg
    Yup!! Looking awesome.
  18. Leaving tips for tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    That's helllllllllla!!!!
    It's not too bad for top notch ink. I know someone here who charges $900 an hour. Dotwork with 1 needle, start to finish

19. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    It's not too bad for top notch ink. I know someone here who charges $900 an hour. Dotwork with 1 needle, start to finish
    Dot work is painful as ****! I have one artist and he hooks me up every time. Been going to him for 16 years.

20. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post

He's also done work on Heath Ledger. Celebrity tattoo shop, one of the best in NYC.

You need to go see mike at kings ave ....
    SPARTA NUTRITION REP
    www.spartanutrition.com

21. Quote Originally Posted by Joedoubledose View Post
    You need to go see mike at kings ave ....
    Does he do blackwork and/or dotwork? I'll look into him. I have really picky tastes. My absolute favorite tattoo artist is Alexander Grim (Russia) as well as Ien Levin (Ukraine)

22. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post

im in nj, so that is worth the trip, whats the address- up,mid or downtown--

23. Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post

think i found it, in Brooklyn?
  24. Leaving tips for tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Does he do blackwork and/or dotwork? I'll look into him. I have really picky tastes. My absolute favorite tattoo artist is Alexander Grim (Russia) as well as Ien Levin (Ukraine)
    He specializes in irezumi ( traditional Japanese tattoos) however his style is more new school with bright colors that contest and pop really nicely .
    SPARTA NUTRITION REP
    www.spartanutrition.com

25. Quote Originally Posted by Joedoubledose View Post
    He specializes in irezumi ( traditional Japanese tattoos) however his style is more new school with bright colors that contest and pop really nicely .
    thats good. color can hide anything, so if you have a good artist that makes it pop vs looking like its covering up a crime scene your golden

26. Quote Originally Posted by smith_69 View Post
    thats good. color can hide anything, so if you have a good artist that makes it pop vs looking like its covering up a crime scene your golden
    I'd kill to have some extra cash to get tattooed by him . He's probably booked out 3 to 4 months ahead of time too
    SPARTA NUTRITION REP
    www.spartanutrition.com

27. Quote Originally Posted by smith_69 View Post
    im in nj, so that is worth the trip, whats the address- up,mid or downtown--
    Williamsburg, Brooklyn

28. Quote Originally Posted by Joedoubledose View Post
    Ahh cool yeah I like that style, but I only plan on having blackwork done. I love the sun too much for color (fades more over time in the sun), and blackwork just looks so sinister.
  29. Leaving tips for tattoos

A little update on my sleeve

Sorry my face makes babies cry
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. tips for razor burn
    By goldylight in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
  2. Tips for best prices on supplements
    By stratvox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5