Anyone Here Own a Gym

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I've always thought it'd be cool to own/run my own gym. Have it right in the contract that if you leave trash everywhere, spend more time on your phone than training, and/or just act like a general douche I toss your ass out...

Anyone on here ever owned one before? What's it like, decent profit? How long before you started to turn a profit? Did you take out business loans?

I would love more inside info this and yeah I could Google it but I'd rather hear from people first hand already in the biz.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a good friend who ran a warehouse style gym for something like 2 years.

Wasn't making any real money, but was paying the bills related to the business. (Wife was in medicine and payed the "family" bills).

Had to close down because they violated the lease or something.

The way I understand it, is that a commercial gym or a crossfit affiliate gym can make decent money (huge startup cost on the commercial type), but most 'hardcore' type gyms are labors of love that you just hope you don't sink too much money into.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
My current gym rocks but the wife has been getting job offers out of town, the one offer had decent pay but was in a tiny ass Burg with not much really in it.

Also I know my gym is heavily involved in competition athletes so lots of extra money doing coaching/prep/posing/training is coming in...

But yeah I always think it'd be great to run a gym/supplement "dungeon" have the Hardcore guys and gals in there tossing plates and everyone has each other's backs cause I would toss out the trash or just not let em join in the first place...haha with that business model I'd be bankrupt in the first month I'm sure lol

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Throwing out people that are paying dues sounds like a good business plan.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Throwing out people that are paying dues sounds like a good business plan.
It works for Planet Fitness... Obviously I want a scrub free gym, so in the membership terms it'll state member expectations, would you want someone around constantly making a mess in your place of business?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With that kind of niche mentality, it will be damn near impossible to make any money. Gyms aren't great investments unless you have a specific product to offer that has large appeal (e.g. football specific training, CF, etc.) and you can sell it.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
So you wouldn't come to Meatheads Elite Gym? lol

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Gyms are very hard to make profitable. You have to scale and battle a pretty high churn low margin service.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I would definitely need to get a nutrition/training cert before opening one so I could offer ancillaries.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It works for Planet Fitness... Obviously I want a scrub free gym, so in the membership terms it'll state member expectations, would you want someone around constantly making a mess in your place of business?
You could offer a discount for people that got kicked out of Planet Fitness.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Lmao goddamn lunks