Travel for work

Thiefcatcher

Thiefcatcher

Awards
Just wondering for those of you who travel for work, how do you feel it affects you're family life? I'm asking because I have recently been given the opportunity to interview for a job, but the job comes with 50% travel in a multi state market. I'm married with a 4 year old girl and my concern is time away from my family. The flip side is, the new job, if I got it, would essentially double my yearly income, putting my family in a more comfortable position financially.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I travel quite a bit, not 50% but averaged 15 weeks a year the last 3 years. My job increased dramatically the last 5 or 6 years. I go for 10 or 12 days at a time. Luckily it's me the wife and 2 dogs. In fact today is travel hone day for me. It's harder on my wife than me, but my income allows her to be a nanny for a couple at our church for the last 15 months.

Question about your wife. Is she pretty independent? Can she hold down the fort while you're gone? Does she have a job? If she stays at home, then it will be easier while you're gone. My dad worked out of state a bunch till I got out of elementary school. I turned out ok. My wife doesn't like me gone all the time, but there are guys I work with that average 8 months a year. As to the young child, I don't have any kids, so I don't know how that would affect me. When we want to buy something nice I go out of town go make the money for it.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just wondering for those of you who travel for work, how do you feel it affects you're family life? I'm asking because I have recently been given the opportunity to interview for a job, but the job comes with 50% travel in a multi state market. I'm married with a 4 year old girl and my concern is time away from my family. The flip side is, the new job, if I got it, would essentially double my yearly income, putting my family in a more comfortable position financially.
I used to travel between 50-100% for about 12 years total. As in away from home during the week. Loved it. Great Pay. I was single. Never able to hold down a relationship due to it. I wanted the money and the company(ies) on my CV. Gave it up when I married. Took lesser pay to be home every evening.(marriage did not work out due to other reasons)

You do get paid more for being away from home. The more you travel the more the differential. If wifey can handle it then do it for a bit and look for the next position in the TOO which may not have so much travel or laterally move with the skill set and contacts to one which has lesser travel requirements.

I do see the importance of ensuring wife is happy and suppose you need to be present for the child so you can do it for a short run to build up surplus cash. Just not too long to estrange your family. Constant communication would be the key. You need to work on your career to be maximize and widen those prime earning years.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I traveled a lot in my 20s as a consultant and loved it, but could never do it now. I don't want to miss anything happening with my kids and I have turned down offers that paid a bit more, but required travel and it isn't worth it now.

Thiefcatcher

Thiefcatcher

Awards
Thanks for the input guys. Had a second interview on Friday that went very well. I asked about the travel and he said it would be every other week for up to 4 days at a time I would be away. I think i can manage that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cbr1000rr 35 and Older 5
Anabolics 24
jtmass Anabolics 13
Anabolics 6
p1nchharmonic Anabolics 19