Iron plates v. Bumper Plates

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Is there really a benefit to bumper plates vs iron plates? The price difference in this situation is ~$500 that's why I want to make sure I'm making a sensible investment so I can put that towards some other equipment.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there really a benefit to bumper plates vs iron plates? The price difference in this situation is ~$500 that's why I want to make sure I'm making a sensible investment so I can put that towards some other equipment.
Bumper Plates are for olympic lifts. They are designed to be dropped. You don't want to be dropping iron plates, unless you want to destroy your equipment. Seriously though, I can't believe you asked this question. You could have found this information on google in literally seconds.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Bumper Plates are for olympic lifts. They are designed to be dropped. You don't want to be dropping iron plates, unless you want to destroy your equipment. Seriously though, I can't believe you asked this question. You could have found this information on google in literally seconds.
I know that much. I didn't know if there were any added benefits.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not a bad question to ask, bud.

But yeah, only real benefit is in regards to how you plan to use them. If you're doing OHP's and need to bail, snatch and press, etc. then the rubber is a nice benefit.

I've always used good old metal (love the sound of them when you slide one plate on after the next), but that's just at the gym -- have never bothered with anything for home use to this point.

Go with the cheapest method ;)

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Not a bad question to ask, bud.

But yeah, only real benefit is in regards to how you plan to use them. If you're doing OHP's and need to bail, snatch and press, etc. then the rubber is a nice benefit.

I've always used good old metal (love the sound of them when you slide one plate on after the next), but that's just at the gym -- have never bothered with anything for home use to this point.

Go with the cheapest method ;)
I mean I'm going to be the only using them for the most part, so no one really to impress with all the massive weight I'll be lifting haha.

I'm also going to probably start off simple and work my way into more Olympic lifting/OHP and strongman training occasionally, too.