Protein intake

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Ok. So I've played with macros a lot in recent year. I went from less than a gram of protein\lb higher fat moderate carb. High carb moderate protein lower fat. Im currently at 2grams\lb bw protein (350ish) and about 240 carbs a day and roughly 60-80 fats daily. I notice increased vascularity and fuller i think from protein. Everything i read swears over 1 gram of protein is overkill. But i notice significant difference. Trying to find the sweat spot...want to gain and stay lean as i can. Former fat boy don't want to stretch my skin out too much again. Im 5foot 6 180 approximately 9% bf (im guessing i clipped lower but i don't think im that low). I want to just gain Slowly and stay in shape

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Everything i read swears over 1 gram of protein is overkill.
Where are you reading that? Stop reading there lol. If more protein works for you, then run with that, although I personally try and keep mine closer to 1.5 grams/lb recently. I'm probably going to piss off the macro people, but I focus more on total calories and training. Messing around with macros for me is just about finding the right balance that gives me enough energy to train at the level that I want to and to not feel overly full or starving.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Yea im kind of with you on that. I usually stick to a set portion of each macro per meal. But ill change it at times depending how i feel. If i had less active day ill eat egg white meal at night instead of carbs. Depending. So i don't really stick to the macros per day really as much as i do per meal/activity level. Post workout ill increase carb intake by a decent amount (just did sweet potato sliced with banana sliced with cinnamon and sugar free syrup incredibly tasty). But other than that i normally eat my set per meal macro goal

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I try and keep things balanced per meal, but focus more on the day as a whole. I do tend to start more of the day heavier on carbs and move towards more protein as the day goes on.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
I NORMALLY eat each meal the same honestly. I always dieted using that Method. It made things easy and i feel as though your body just becomes more and more efficient at digesting and using the same amount. I feel like it becomes more efficient and metabolism increases a LOT for me. At age 19 i used 8 ounces chicken 1 cup rice and got shredded....not realizing how much protein i actually was getting. I just think my body is very efficient at assimilating protein. I also do well on carbs as apposed to high fat. I normally just use whatever naturally occurs from animal protein as my source off fat. Chicken lean salmon e.g. whites and whey are my only sources. I usually sneak in some nuts in small amounts of power butter so i don't go crazy from not eating any intentional fat

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
I think i could pound 9 ounces of chicken (cooked) and probably 2cups of rice and i would lean out lol

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Where are you reading that? Stop reading there lol. If more protein works for you, then run with that, although I personally try and keep mine closer to 1.5 grams/lb recently. I'm probably going to piss off the macro people, but I focus more on total calories and training. Messing around with macros for me is just about finding the right balance that gives me enough energy to train at the level that I want to and to not feel overly full or starving.
F^cking macro's are overrated - do what works for you

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
What's the most protein someone's ever eaten a day consistently? And what happened?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the most protein someone's ever eaten a day consistently? And what happened?
A day consistently? So you mean a week, but averaged?

I'd have to say Hannibal.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
RegisterJr dats alota meat..... "It puts the lotion on its skin"......

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
I was meaning i guess a day\week. Just wondering the high and low end of the spectrum. What people REALLY do. How much or how little amount of protein comprises the average lifters diet and how it works for them. Tired of the internet..... Read one article....than the next one directly contradicts the previous....both from the same source......

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
dixonk
I already clear out buildings..... But that's a small price to pay for eternal gl.....oh, i just sharted

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
But yea. I eat 2 grams/lb bodyweight. I handle it pretty well. I notice if i eat more fatty sources or more fats general i get more gassy stank ass.

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
When I go over 1.5g/lb I get bound up bad and have to take metamucil to get stuff moving. I've been doing 1g/per lean lb lately and it seems to be working for me.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
When I go over 1.5g/lb I get bound up bad and have to take metamucil to get stuff moving. I've been doing 1g/per lean lb lately and it seems to be working for me.
See...that's where things differ from person to person. I think its more to it than just doing what some freaking magazine preaches from some article that is there just cause it is. Personal experience and trial and error. I like to see what works for everyone and what they day works for them.not a magazine or a bbldng.com article. Haha

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
I think i was born to eat. I can put away food like ones business. I could literally eat every 30 minutes lol. Hearing enough food in isn't the problem. Its actually controlling it and i eat a super clean diet. Its really strange

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think i was born to eat. I can put away food like ones business. I could literally eat every 30 minutes lol. Hearing enough food in isn't the problem. Its actually controlling it and i eat a super clean diet. Its really strange
I used to be that way until I my 30s and then it slowed down quite a bit. It's hard for me to eat enough calories when bulking now...if I stick to healthy options.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Yea. I haven't really EVER tried to lean bulk....i guess that exists. Ive been really heavy in the past (ate ridiculously to gain size) and from that went from 170 to 255 VERY pudgy. Ive come back down to 185ish and in wayyyyyyy better condition. But im looking into gaining size SLOWLY and not gain fat. Everytim Ive eaten clean i have gotten lean i never ate clean to gain (it wasnt the smartest approach but the crowd i ran with pushed dirty bulk as the only way). But i think ive learned since than. I think there's a time and place to increase calories (refeed days and around training and recovery) and i think there's lots of ways to sneak in extra nutrients and have them go towards muscle gain and not fat. Long as you consider insulin manipulation and that matter...playing the glycemic index and keeping gh levels high as possible and nitrogen balance up. I usually eat every meal the same for most part but i find myself lately switching certain meals around (carbs n fats mostly) i might eat extra carbs right after training than drop them off slightly or totally at my last meal for fat depending on how much i feel the carbs earlier have sit

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
But recently im going to start Lean bulking. Very slowly. I have another thread i started on glutamine and creatine in my page. Im going to start running both

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
But recently im going to start Lean bulking. Very slowly. I have another thread i started on glutamine and creatine in my page. Im going to start running both
Have you checked out Ergonine? It has creatine and glutamine (along with alanine which helps increase glutamine delivery to muscle tissue) and several other great ingredients.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
I will definitely check it out. I just ordered 1000 grams of gluta and creatine. Next go round ill look at out. Ansi on dps website had creatine very cheap and the glutamine is only 22 bucks also. Got 2k grams for less than 35$

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I find most exciting about forums and social media is that with people's opinions and their enecdotal conclusions being proposed as facts relatively soon we'll no longer need science to prove anything.

****ing science is overrated!

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
*anecdotal

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
I was just being a smart ass there is a lot a truth to what David Dunn is saying.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Pretty much. I think everyone is an expert these days. I just line to actually hear from everyday people such as myself that live it and practice what they're claiming to do. I like to hear everyone's opinion....and i enjoy each little morsel of sarcasm and smart ass humor. ? i think Its great to include a little bit of controversial humor to everything. Makes things fun. Totally got what he meant. Just thought it war funny.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
I definitely did not start this thread to claim any knowledge. I only like to know what everyone else practices and see what work for different folk. I think science has it place definitely....without it we wouldn't have a lot of supps that have come out I last 5-10 or more years. I just don't always think what doctors and science claims as being the end all be all is necessarily true gospel

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
I think it brings up a good point in that their is not as far as I know a correct answer for this. It has been awhile but I remember when I first started trying to learn about nutrition I would see research papers that would say anything from .8g/per kg to 2+g/per kg. How does one separate the fact from fiction when it comes to this stuff. Health and fitness in general has more conflicting science and theory than anything I have ever attempted to learn.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
ActiveShooter
Agreed. I think above anything....most importance is total calorie intake honestly. Now each macro DOES effect your bodies functions differently. But......ido believe certain ones are SAFER to eat more of....not necessarily the same for everyone. Some guys handle high fat very well. Some Can actually grow on a keto diet. Some can eat both high carb n fat and stay lean. I feel as though eating extra protein is much more forgiving (and beneficial)than overdoing fats or even carbs. I think for each person its going to differ to some extent. But u are right......trying to make a universal diet plan that works for everyone........maybe a certain concept but i doubt a perfect macro ratio really exists to fit everyone's needs. Trial n error broskie. Na'm saying brotato chip

ActiveShooter

ActiveShooter

Awards
Well I don't completely agree, I think if you take three guys who are the same and feed them 2500 calories overall with different macros their weight should be the same. However their body composition will be completely different.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
i dont hate people who use macro calculations, everything has its place. if it helps you to maintain and increase your progress that is great. more people should get involved in macro calculations so they can really keep track of their diets.

the issue that seems to happen more often is when people start questioning the actual counts and asking about adding in or commenting on the overall intake.

if you are hungry just eat. you arent going to die, your arms wont fall off and your stomach wont explode. if you are tracking your macros to the exact decimal point, you should be tracking your routine to the last drop of sweat.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
ActiveShooter
Agreed. I think above anything....most importance is total calorie intake honestly. Now each macro DOES effect your bodies functions differently. But......ido believe certain ones are SAFER to eat more of....not necessarily the same for everyone. Some guys handle high fat very well. Some Can actually grow on a keto diet. Some can eat both high carb n fat and stay lean. I feel as though eating extra protein is much more forgiving (and beneficial)than overdoing fats or even carbs. I think for each person its going to differ to some extent. But u are right......trying to make a universal diet plan that works for everyone........maybe a certain concept but i doubt a perfect macro ratio really exists to fit everyone's needs. Trial n error broskie. Na'm saying brotato chip
your right and nothing like that will ever exist. its impossible, just like everyone's routine is different and it should be. people just believe that there is one set program, they read a little about it and what they completely miss is the simplest fact: dont be afraid to change it according to your specific needs

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Everything stated makes a point. I dunno if macros are THAT important to change body comp THAT much unless extremes are taken. But no matter what is chosen it won't work without consistency

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you are tracking your macros to the exact decimal point, you should be tracking your routine to the last drop of sweat.
It actually really happens. Have you ever seen a pro's pre comp diet and workout routine? I'm no pro but when I train and diet to be in comp shape (great beach body vacation photos) I sure as hell count macros.

I am a process engineer by trade. I have spread sheets where I track every single set and rep and weight for months at a time including cardio. Otherwise why bother.

Maybe fishing is better suited for some.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
It actually really happens. Have you ever seen a pro's pre comp diet and workout routine? I'm no pro but when I train and diet to be in comp shape (great beach body vacation photos) I sure as hell count macros.

I am a process engineer by trade. I have spread sheets where I track every single set and rep and weight for months at a time including cardio. Otherwise why bother.

Maybe fishing is better suited for some.
thats the big problem- people blame the diet and nothing else, hence the macro crisis. Gotta be the macros.

you have to change your mind frame, diet and training. people become so anal and focused on just one aspect they never take into account anything else.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
David Dunn
That's Pretty cool. U seem very informed. What macros do u choose when say dieting or maybe going into a growth phase or do you user same ratio? Does each meal stay consistent or do carbs and fats change thoughout the day? I think its pretty cool to hear other peoples angle on comp dieting and bulk dieting.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Smith 69
That's a good point. I think people blame what frustrates them the most. Most cases....its the diet.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea. I haven't really EVER tried to lean bulk....i guess that exists. Ive been really heavy in the past (ate ridiculously to gain size) and from that went from 170 to 255 VERY pudgy. Ive come back down to 185ish and in wayyyyyyy better condition. But im looking into gaining size SLOWLY and not gain fat. Everytim Ive eaten clean i have gotten lean i never ate clean to gain (it wasnt the smartest approach but the crowd i ran with pushed dirty bulk as the only way). But i think ive learned since than. I think there's a time and place to increase calories (refeed days and around training and recovery) and i think there's lots of ways to sneak in extra nutrients and have them go towards muscle gain and not fat. Long as you consider insulin manipulation and that matter...playing the glycemic index and keeping gh levels high as possible and nitrogen balance up. I usually eat every meal the same for most part but i find myself lately switching certain meals around (carbs n fats mostly) i might eat extra carbs right after training than drop them off slightly or totally at my last meal for fat depending on how much i feel the carbs earlier have sit
You can't gain muscle without gaining fat without heavy chemical assistance.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Well that definitely makes it easier........

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I find most exciting about forums and social media is that with people's opinions and their enecdotal conclusions being proposed as facts relatively soon we'll no longer need science to prove anything.

****ing science is overrated!
There are a lot of things Science just can't prove. Scientists are just afraid of the phrase, "I don't know.". I can't count the number of times I've seen something that works on paper because science "proves" it works, but in real life does absolutely nothing.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
David Dunn
That's Pretty cool. U seem very informed. What macros do u choose when say dieting or maybe going into a growth phase or do you user same ratio? Does each meal stay consistent or do carbs and fats change thoughout the day? I think its pretty cool to hear other peoples angle on comp dieting and bulk dieting.
Being an endomorph I will gain fat as quickly as muscle unless chemically enhanced. Even then I cannot get carried away especially with carbohydrates. Because I train in the early AM i usually train fasted. I consume the majority of my carbs post workout and the next meal as well. For the rest of the day I usually consume meats and vegetables with quality fats like EVOO and fish oil. When I am bulking or looking to gain size and weight I will consume some complex carbohydrates in the evening to provide me the glycogen stores and surplus calories to move heavier weight at my fasted AM workout.

As an endo I can recomp well on 10/12xbw calories and a good amount of cardio. Ill usually keep my carbs less than 100g/d. Dieting I can get away with 10xbw calories and less and keep carbs less than 50g/d and a lot of cardio. To gain weight without getting fat I cannot really eat more than 13-14xbw in calories even with cardio. I usually cycle carbs for a few weeks week to gain calories glycogen mass and strength then eventually I'll just get fattened.

At 50yo I cannot eat to train like I'm 30yo. Although I can train like I'm 30yo my lifestyle outside the gym is sedentary for the most part and being an endomorph and 50yo my metabolism just doesn't let me over eat calories and especially carbohydrates for too long before I regret it.

jaimev1986

jaimev1986

Awards
Wow u eat very light.....but.....i consider your sedentary lifestyle you stated. I work a physical Job. On my feet all day. Although while on vacation our taking time off i DO notice the change in how i process my nutrients. Im only 30....which is a big difference from when i was 20 (and first looked into actually caring about my diet at all). And i also train early evening. Id rather train after about 2 meals or so but i train at latter end of day. Ive lost fat on different schemes. i indirectly monitor cals by tracking macros. I handle carbs well long as long as fats are lower.....but i feel the fat comes off faster with lower fat and more carb/protein personally. Im more of a red meat and fat craving guy. I could eat steak n peanut butter all day haha. Id much rather eat fat sources than carbs honestly. But im slowly making myself into a carb loving person since i feel my body is more geared towards them. I Do manage to work some steak and some tasty peanut butter in occasionally. Im more or so on a 40/40/20 ratio. 50carb/50pro/10 fat a meal. For the most part.