Getting into personal training

O

onlyjoshinyou

Awards
I'm considering leaving the office behind to get into personal training but have no fitness qualifications, just years of experience from training myself. Any advice from you guys out there? Is doing courses essential etc

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
look into ACE- then you can go from there. if you are belong to a gym now, see what yours offers. in todays fitness world, you need to be well rounded. Some don't want a routine and want more ideas for strength training. Some want to use new techniques.

how you take the information and put into your interpretation of what will work best for your client is what sets you apart from the other PT's

emantest

emantest

Awards
There are many certification courses, try ISSA it will cost$300-500 and will probably take from 4-7 days to complete online. Good luck

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
this may also help,

but try to get a few sessions with other P/t's. see how they interact with you and take little bits from them and spin to your method.

have to remember, that is the key here

again good luck bro

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In addition to the certification, definitely try it out in addition to your current job, possibly at night or during the weekend. See if it's something you want to do full time.

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
4-7 days ??? Umm no , I don't think so .....I just completed the physical training program and nutrition certification in 6 months... I work full time, train, and cook..... I also did all the work and know all the information ....4-7 days.... Lol, funny

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
42 total exams , I was doing about 2 per week..... And was really reading the information

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
4-7 days ??? Umm no , I don't think so .....I just completed the physical training program and nutrition certification in 6 months... I work full time, train, and cook..... I also did all the work and know all the information ....4-7 days.... Lol, funny
Average ISSA time to certification is 10 weeks. Perhaps you obtained a different cert(s) than being discussed.

F

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
The CFT program is 4 months at the recommended/avg pace.... There are (2) 2 month extensions available beyond that. You also need to get certified in CPR and AED.. Just finished this with the fitness nutrition cert. Not saying you can't complete it in 10 weeks, but you will need to put in considerable time for that

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be really successful I suggest picking a cert and completing the cert. It really doesn't matter. THE most important step of getting into personal training nowadays is making yourself marketable. Make an instagram(You can follow me on insta, just search pyrobatt. Shameless plug haha!) , facebook and twitter. Start posting fitness pictures and such as well as offering your services. Start building this while at your current job.

The second most important step is actually looking like a bodybuilder/physique model. Those 2 steps will get more business your way then anything else.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
I got my ACE certification last fall, studied for about two months, spent a day getting my CPR/AED cert, then spent 2 hours taking the exam for the ACE cert. Bang, boom, done. Any certification is going to cost you some money to earn but that's very easily recovered within your first few clients.
The guys here have already given you good advice, make sure you are open to and knowledgeable about other training methods than just strength training because that's definitely not what everyone wants.
MARKET YOURSELF.

emantest

emantest

Awards
Average ISSA time to certification is 10 weeks. Perhaps you obtained a different cert(s) than being discussed.
The certification my brother obtained was ISSA strength training cert and after getting him to clarify he said he took all tests with two days. He said he used Chris Aceto bodybuilding guide and passed the test and started training clients at the same time training for his pro card. He is now an IFBB masters pro.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
The certification my brother obtained was ISSA strength training cert and after getting him to clarify he said he took all tests with two days. He said he used Chris Aceto bodybuilding guide and passed the test and started training clients at the same time training for his pro card. He is now an IFBB masters pro.
aceto has a great "eating for mass" 2 week plan in flex 2004 edition- have a copy at work- dude knows his stuff