Any Tips from fellow Nutrition Store Owners/Employees

AaronG44

AaronG44

Awards
I recently opened a small business within a local gym retailing nutritional supplements. I sell your basic brands such as prosupps, muscle pharm, BSN, Animal, etc with the addition of some less mainstream but reputable companies. The gym itself is huge but not all is dedicated to the fitness groups. There is alot of basketball, baseball, and football players working out on the athletic fields. Any advice on building my business, marketing, insights, etc would be greatly appreciated.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I recently opened a small business within a local gym retailing nutritional supplements. I sell your basic brands such as prosupps, muscle pharm, BSN, Animal, etc with the addition of some less mainstream but reputable companies. The gym itself is huge but not all is dedicated to the fitness groups. There is alot of basketball, baseball, and football players working out on the athletic fields. Any advice on building my business, marketing, insights, etc would be greatly appreciated.
You should sell protein shakes and pre/intra workout drinks.

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
Market intra w/ carbs for basketball players, since they're constantly running. Creatine and protein powder is always a hit with football and baseball. I would definitely make yourself available post-practice or training for each of those sports groups. Research what different positions aim to better and market to that. Use emotion phrases over logic phrases (e.g., "This protein shake will help you recover so you can be stronger for the next training session," instead of "this has 26g protein and BCAAs"). Look for needs and meet them (another example with creatine: "You know how it feels to run out of steam when you're pushing yourself hard? This'll help" Vs., "When your ATP is depleted, Creatine works to...etc, etc").

A good idea is to have samples out near where they're practicing / training. Be practical and honest, but having some ready-made samples available is great for marketing what your store has to offer. You don't have to break the bank, but samples are great.

Good luck! Hope some of that helps.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
if you can get the license to do this, cook on premise. use local farmers or produce markets, tell them you will advertise that you are use x food this week

ex- this weeks fresh steamed broccoli was grown by Joes Market- potato's, veg chili or chili for gainz

keep the meals simple and fresh- you run out of chicken breast for the day, that's it- the minute you sell anything that is crap, you can kiss that good bye.

not sure how long you have contracted with the above brands, but you need to get others. you can buy that on line or at vit shoppe. so far, besides using your gym, I have no other reason to spend my money there- that is the thought.

where do you live?

big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Put on challenges at the gym that will help promote your business and the supplements it carries by giving away some of the products as a prize.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
100% agree with the cooking above because it works. Can you get a vitamix to blend smoothies too? If so that is a great lure in for the woman crowd and some men

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Market intra w/ carbs for basketball players, since they're constantly running. Creatine and protein powder is always a hit with football and baseball. I would definitely make yourself available post-practice or training for each of those sports groups. Research what different positions aim to better and market to that. Use emotion phrases over logic phrases (e.g., "This protein shake will help you recover so you can be stronger for the next training session," instead of "this has 26g protein and BCAAs"). Look for needs and meet them (another example with creatine: "You know how it feels to run out of steam when you're pushing yourself hard? This'll help" Vs., "When your ATP is depleted, Creatine works to...etc, etc").

A good idea is to have samples out near where they're practicing / training. Be practical and honest, but having some ready-made samples available is great for marketing what your store has to offer. You don't have to break the bank, but samples are great.

Good luck! Hope some of that helps.
you have to be extremely careful with giving out free samples of food, especially when you leave your facility. in this day anyone will do just about anything to get a free dollar. I tried his shake and I cant stop throwing up. I got a rash from his- etc.

better off to give coupons with discounts %.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I guess our ideas worked because its been a few weeks- hey G44, if your rich now, don't forget to thank the little people

lol

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Presuming it is like the supp. store inside the LA Fitness currently attending.

1. Compare your prices to online and ensure yours are equitable.
2. If your margins can handle it offer bundles
3. If your margins can handle it offer BXGO not necessarily BOGO but concept is similar buy 2 get 1 etc. spend $100 get X free
4. Folks respond to taste or stim. Have a sample day for both of your best tasting proten and most potent stim. Small quantities only as in 15ml of stim and a somewhat larger of the protein. Use tiny disposable dixie cups for serving size of the stim.
5. Have coffee availabe now and then. Best and cheapest stim. brings in folks to the counter. But not too often as you want people to purchase not take free stuff and go and people will abuse gratuity
6. Do you have a sink there. You can make shakes and sell them. Might need a license for that. Check local regs.
7. If you need someone to staff the place. Hire a pretty girl.

There is more but that is a start.

Most folks at the LA where put off by the high prices or just plain intimidated because they did not know what it was about. Bought a few shakes made onsite there in the early days with my GF postworkout. They were great but eventually realized I could do as well and a lot less expensive if I waited 3 minutes to drive home.

Caveat: I do not own or employed by a nutrition store. I work in CPG. These are proven techniques at the retail store level to increase business.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Presuming it is like the supp. store inside the LA Fitness currently attending.

1. Compare your prices to online and ensure yours are equitable.
2. If your margins can handle it offer bundles
3. If your margins can handle it offer BXGO not necessarily BOGO but concept is similar buy 2 get 1 etc. spend $100 get X free
4. Folks respond to taste or stim. Have a sample day for both of your best tasting proten and most potent stim. Small quantities only as in 15ml of stim and a somewhat larger of the protein. Use tiny disposable dixie cups for serving size of the stim.
5. Have coffee availabe now and then. Best and cheapest stim. brings in folks to the counter. But not too often as you want people to purchase not take free stuff and go and people will abuse gratuity
6. If you need someone to staff the place. Hire a pretty girl.
im surprised Miami didn't add (big boobs) - typical Miami -

Now FSU would recommend a smart woman that can bring the boys to the yard

lol