Why I started lifting

brenthebdog

brenthebdog

Awards
I'll be turning 30 in few months, and that will mean I've been lifting for more than half of my life. I've hit my genetic limit on what dedicated and consistent training can do for my body. My stats are 5'9'' 175 with about 12-15% bodyfat, all of this starting out at about 130lbs. Whenever I think back to what I was as a high school freshman and especially when I see old pictures I can't help but laugh a little bit; a skinny teenager with a potbelly and a buzzcut. Although I wasn't physically impressive I could run fast and play baseball like a champ and had watched the Semifinals and Finals of the 2002 Men's NCAA Lacrosse Tournament and knew I had to play the game. My first introduction to Lacrosse was a rude one much like my introduction to football in 8'th grade being the smallest and most in-experienced guy on the team - only worse! All of the guys were brutal and hateful and hit each-other like their dad's were there watching them sternfully in disappointment. What that first practice taught me was that I needed much more muscle and much more strength or these animals were going to kill me. And that brings me to my first gym.

That hilariously small gym is located in the old Evergreen Rec Center and is at the top of a long flight of stairs. The very first lift I did was bench press, then squats, and of course - bicep curls. My Rocky-esque training montage would have been pretty ****ing boring because it would have been pretty much those 3 exercises and a whole lot of trail running. After about 2 years this small weight room was cramping my style and I moved up to 24hr Fitness once I got my first car. Now, for those who condemn this corporate Globo gym it holds a special place in my heart because of all the late nights I spent here making real progress, this is the place where I started deadlifting.

Due to deadlifting, when I was in my high school weightlifting class I was able to actually clean and jerk and bench press weight that wouldn't get me laughed at. Considering that I was doing Cross Country and Lacrosse and was naturally skinny I didn't have a hell of alot of mass - to this day I still don't have much mass. Now, I'm going on 16 years in the iron game and have seen friends get into well after me. Two of these guys are genetically gifted and have surpassed me by a longshot, but, they've got different goals. These days weightlifting has turned into fuctional and rehabilitation exercise so that I can continue trail running, or climbing, or snowboarding, or so that I can get back into BJJ once my neck is healed and strengthened sufficiently. The truth is, the dedication and passion that made me get ready and drive to the gym at 10pm during a snowstorm so that I had the squat rack all to myself for as long as I wanted it is no longer there. What has replaced it is the desire to play the sports that I could as a kid, the sports that put me in the weight room in the first place. At the end of the day I fancy myself an athlete; I'm not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, never have been never will be. I can't do what those guys do, but, I love weight lifting. It has made me a better man. It has nursed me through severe panic attacks, breakups, financial destitution, existential crises. I have gotten laid because of it...and in spite of it! I have spent all of my money on magical pills and powders, all thoroughly backed by "science" in order to get a little bigger and stronger. Weight lifting has been the reason why I haven't gotten my ass kicked as badly as I should have, and the reason why I would get in the fight in the first place.

I know it's a corny post, but a sore shoulder and neck have been making me think of reason why to push through the pain. Those reasons brought me back to why I started lifting in the first place.

Why did you start lifting, what keeps you lifting?

P.S. For all you nostalgics, the O.G. Pre-Workout ad. (I remember it fondly, and you bet your ass I bought a tub!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SXOpuNMPGg

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
hey bro,

if i dont stay active, i feel like dog crap! looking good for the wife adds a little support, but for me, its a constant challenge. just not being satisfied with the overall apperance. now, i am not a cal counter or macro pyscho- those days are gone, with 2 kids time enough to hit the gym. but focusing more on body parts to reach full potential. getting a good peak on both bi's and horseshoe tri's. have them now, and dont want to lose them.

nothing crazy, but own personal goals to keep it going without getting old- 43 these days- well will be on the 25th, so making it home every night without limping is a positive!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think we had a thread like this a few months ago.

It was inevitably because of Her,rather the one who got away..... Only a woman can break a man if he lets her get under his skin. It was weightlifting or the Foreign Legion.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll be turning 30 in few months, and that will mean I've been lifting for more than half of my life. I've hit my genetic limit on what dedicated and consistent training can do for my body. My stats are 5'9'' 175 with about 12-15% bodyfat, all of this starting out at about 130lbs.
Consider a couple things for a moment if you will. From the age of 14 to 17/18 you probably put on another 10 or more lbs with bone maturity and a few fractions of inches or more in height simply from completing puberty. In essence in the last 12 or so years that you have trained you put on the rest of the weight dedicated to and consistent with the training and nutrition you employed.

Now consider for a moment that a more advanced program of training and nutrition with that same dedication and consistency can and will add addition size and weight if you desired to.

Sometimes we come to the limit and end of our own knowledge and capabilities regardless of our dedication and consistency. That is when we ask for help from those who know more and have achieved more if indeed we aspire to more.

Welcome to your thirties :D

50yo here. At 47 I started playing hardball/baseball as a catcher again. I was a freshman walk on who made the varsity team in HS. 30 years later I'm as good or better and played the 45+ league until last year when the 35+ guys asked me to play with them. Your best days and years are still ahead!

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
This wasn't a corny post at all. It was a great read!

brenthebdog

brenthebdog

Awards
hey bro,

if i dont stay active, i feel like dog crap! looking good for the wife adds a little support, but for me, its a constant challenge. just not being satisfied with the overall apperance. now, i am not a cal counter or macro pyscho- those days are gone, with 2 kids time enough to hit the gym. but focusing more on body parts to reach full potential. getting a good peak on both bi's and horseshoe tri's. have them now, and dont want to lose them.

nothing crazy, but own personal goals to keep it going without getting old- 43 these days- well will be on the 25th, so making it home every night without limping is a positive!
Consider a couple things for a moment if you will. From the age of 14 to 17/18 you probably put on another 10 or more lbs with bone maturity and a few fractions of inches or more in height simply from completing puberty. In essence in the last 12 or so years that you have trained you put on the rest of the weight dedicated to and consistent with the training and nutrition you employed.

Now consider for a moment that a more advanced program of training and nutrition with that same dedication and consistency can and will add addition size and weight if you desired to.

Sometimes we come to the limit and end of our own knowledge and capabilities regardless of our dedication and consistency. That is when we ask for help from those who know more and have achieved more if indeed we aspire to more.

Welcome to your thirties :D

50yo here. At 47 I started playing hardball/baseball as a catcher again. I was a freshman walk on who made the varsity team in HS. 30 years later I'm as good or better and played the 45+ league until last year when the 35+ guys asked me to play with them. Your best days and years are still ahead!
Always awesome to hear from dudes who've been in the weight room longer than me! Seriously you guys rock! I used to be the biggest Laird Hamilton fanboy after watching him surf Jaws and run with logs on the beach. Then, I realized that his whole "I breath pure Prana and only use butter from cows who grazed in the Elysian Fields and **** Gabrielle Reece for my sustenance" shtick is a bit unrealistic. The dudes in the gym in their 40's 50's 60's who still lift like savages during their lunch break because they have jobs, and families are the unsung heroes. When you aren't paid to lift and look good because that is your job but because you love being strong and looking like you give a **** about yourself is the true test.

I think we had a thread like this a few months ago.

It was inevitably because of Her,rather the one who got away..... Only a woman can break a man if he lets her get under his skin. It was weightlifting or the Foreign Legion.
Haha, yeah, I'll cop to it! I 'd be a damned liar if there wasn't a few "her's" along the way. Some you get, some you don't!

https://pp.vk.me/c621127/v621127573/1138c/LiAar2Ct5_o.jpg

Not that I stood a good chance back in high school (or that she looked like this in high school) but being Mr. Right Now has served me well time and time again! Always spit game to hotties - you never know, you might just be their type!

This wasn't a corny post at all. It was a great read!
Thanks dude, it is a bit corny and nostalgic. I've even got some Around the Fur playing as I'm writing this!

Awesome to hear back guys! Keep them calluses, tri's and delts growing!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;pN253RLDdM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN253RLDdM8[/video]

I started lifting for the same reasons as Arnold

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These are going in my gym bag tonight... ;) :puke:
image.jpeg
Edit: the sound of his voice and the look on his face saying it is between creepy and gross or something else I just can't describe...disturbing maybe..."I'm cuming day and night"...:eek5:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hahaha yeah, he must be loving his dbol in that clip lol

brenthebdog

brenthebdog

Awards