• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Wow there are just so many. What is your main goal?

C

crace23

Awards
I really just wanna be as strong as possible. I've never had any experience with a true powerlifting program

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I really just wanna be as strong as possible. I've never had any experience with a true powerlifting program
Well if all you care about is strength you could go with a standard 5-3-1 program or if your into high volume type stuff a mountain dog program is really good.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Wendler has a beginner template available. I'm also a fan of the basic 5x5 routines

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you've never really done a powerlifting program, stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I believe Chuck Diesel also got his start in Powerlifting. (He makes some Kick Butt Supplements also)

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm trying out the PH3 program now

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm trying out the PH3 program now
Too advanced for a beginning powerlifter, and it's more of a powerbuilding program. PH3 is only recommended for people with over an 1100 total already.

For someone new to powerlifting, I strongly recommend a linear program like Starting Strength. Huge / fast gains in strength with this, to be taken advantage of by someone new to strength training.

Starting Strength

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
531 has done very well for me over the last year. Very easy t follow and plan.

I don't have any experience with the 5x5 but I see a lot of beginners start there and see immediate success.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 is great, but I wouldn't suggest that program to anyone unless they were beginning to stall. 5/3/1 is all about slow, constant progress/gains.

Someone very new to powerlifting will gain tremendously from a linear program.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw immediate jumps on 531. 130# on DL in 6-7 months and 100# on squat in a year.

Nothing wrong with slow progress anyway if doing a strength program. It's easy for a newb to let his/her ego exchange proper form for higher numbers.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
True. I'm just thinking from a coach's perspective. My coach put me back into Starting Strength twice from my 5/3/1 program years back. I think the weekly increases were 5#, so it won't be possible to lift too much with ego or throw on too much weight, but what made it the hardest for me was that I really had to eat so much for recovery from squatting 3x per week. That was my only complaint to him lol. I agree, if the OP wants a less aggressive program, 5/3/1 is great.

If I were to jump back into a 100% powerlifting program right now, I'd likely choose The Cube, but that's also not for noobs.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm tempted to try the Cube (for bench) as well.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm transitioning out of a conditioning phase right now and going to try out Layne Norton's PH3 in a month or so. Going to have me squatting & benching 3x per week, and deadlifting 2x weekly, with a crapload of volume/hypertrophy work added in too. Once I finish that beast of a program, I think I'm switching over to the Cube, if I'm still alive hehe..

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm tempted to try the Cube (for bench) as well.
Cube has never done crap for my bench - not the standard 1x/wk as written. It's most useful for my deadlift honestly as it keeps me pulling while managing back fatigue.

There's a reason Lilly wrote the Predator template - more frequently a raw guy can bench, the faster he gets better. The standard once a wk with some ohp on the weekend isn't enough for a weaker bencher as its just not enough work for most.

So Cube is great in summary, but it absolutely requires you to take ownership of your programming and be honest about what you need and what is and isn't working.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cube has never done crap for my bench - not the standard 1x/wk as written. It's most useful for my deadlift honestly as it keeps me pulling while managing back fatigue.

There's a reason Lilly wrote the Predator template - more frequently a raw guy can bench, the faster he gets better. The standard once a wk with some ohp on the weekend isn't enough for a weaker bencher as its just not enough work for most.

So Cube is great in summary, but it absolutely requires you to take ownership of your programming and be honest about what you need and what is and isn't working.
That's actually good to hear (for me) because I'll need to pull back a bit on frequency after my next program, and then reintroduce it slowly.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's actually good to hear (for me) because I'll need to pull back a bit on frequency after my next program, and then reintroduce it slowly.
I'm using it now again to get ready for comp. It carries a lot of principles we've seen work for Westside, which again is a system that demands the lifter really attacks their weaknesses intelligently to progress. But both programs are really more training ideologies in general vs a cookie cutter template - which is excellent as a lifter increases in qualification but suboptimal (at best) for a newcomer to strength work. Starting strength would be a great way to go there.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm using it now again to get ready for comp. It carries a lot of principles we've seen work for Westside, which again is a system that demands the lifter really attacks their weaknesses intelligently to progress. But both programs are really more training ideologies in general vs a cookie cutter template - which is excellent as a lifter increases in qualification but suboptimal (at best) for a newcomer to strength work. Starting strength would be a great way to go there.

Definitely agree with you there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Two things you can take to the bank on cube predator. You will bench more than you thought possible in six weeks of work, and you will be beat to hell or on the razor's edge of an injury. Like Hyde said, it requires you to take ownership of how much punishment you should subject yourself to, not how much you can.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Two things you can take to the bank on cube predator. You will bench more than you thought possible in six weeks of work, and you will be beat to hell or on the razor's edge of an injury. Like Hyde said, it requires you to take ownership of how much punishment you should subject yourself to, not how much you can.
This is why I'm such a huge advocate of corrective exercises, prehab, rehab etc... I am living and training with a couple permanent injuries that don't require surgery (yet).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is why I'm such a huge advocate of corrective exercises, prehab, rehab etc... I am living and training with a couple permanent injuries that don't require surgery (yet).
Even the best prehab doesn't cover everything with that kind of frequency, but we don't have Lilly's size, genetics, or drug regiment either.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Even the best prehab doesn't cover everything with that kind of frequency, but we don't have Lilly's size, genetics, or drug regiment either.
True, my regimen on PH3 should be decent though. Trest ace, GH, BPC-157 if needed. I still need to read up on predator. Cube is fairly new to me.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I spend more time weekly on prehab than 99% of people do training and ended up with shot elbows and pec injuries.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I spend more time weekly on prehab than 99% of people do training and ended up with shot elbows and pec injuries.
Is it worth it in the long run to follow a program that does this to you? I'd be more concerned with longevity.
You do lift far more weight than I do though.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it worth it in the long run to follow a program that does this to you? I'd be more concerned with longevity.
You do lift far more weight than I do though.
I think it You can tweak it to work for you and run it once or twice a year, you're good. I believe that's how it's meant to be utilized. It will help greatly if you're in shape, efficient, and healthy. If not, it's a risk. But it's all a risk to some degree.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think it You can tweak it to work for you and run it once or twice a year, you're good. I believe that's how it's meant to be utilized. It will help greatly if you're in shape, efficient, and healthy. If not, it's a risk. But it's all a risk to some degree.
How are you planning to train after your meet?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How are you planning to train after your meet?
Good question. Not really sure, but after a meet I don't like to get too heavy for a month or so. Probably with minimal equipment and high volume with occasional Westside days in there. I like to use accommodating resistance often.