Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big Mac with a side of quinoa? Inside the world's first McDonald's Next

By Alisha Haridasani, CNN
Updated 1:53 AM ET, Mon January 11, 2016

(CNN)McDonald's has always been about consistency, speed and budget pricing.

Its Golden Arches can be neon beacons of hope in a strange land -- a place where you know you'll always get the exact burger and fries you are looking for, followed by pangs of guilt the next day.

But in Hong Kong, 40 years after the chain first entered the territory, signs of change glimmer on the greasy fast food horizon.

In December, McDonald's transformed one of its Hong Kong branches into the world's first McDonald's Next -- an evolved version of the brand that strives to be "modern and progressive."

Quinoa, coffee and ambient lighting

Gone are the red-and-yellow color palette and harsh lighting.

In their place a sleek black-and-white logo, ambient lighting, glass and metallic interiors and... a salad bar.

The unlikely offering is filled with 19 ingredients including "two choices of salad base greens, two kinds of cheese, three flavors of sauces" and -- of course -- quinoa.

Additionally, McDonald's Next is trying to elevate the overall fast food experience with table service after 6 p.m. and premium coffee blends.

The branch, located in the city's Admiralty neighborhood, has also been fitted out with mobile phone charging platforms, free Wi-Fi and self-ordering kiosks.

McDonald's did not respond to CNN's request for info on why Hong Kong was chosen as the first location for their new concept and whether they will be opening new Next restaurants in other cities.

So no more burgers?

For those seeking a Big Mac, don't worry.

McDonald's Next still has the regular menu and also offers the brand's new Create Your Taste (CYT) concept, which allows visitors to customize their burgers via touch screen.

The CYT scheme is a global initiative that launched early last year and can now be found in locations in the U.S., China, Australia and the U.A.E.

It landed in Hong Kong last July at two branches and has since expanded to nine city outlets.
On a recent Thursday evening, the McDonald's Next outlet was abuzz with guests lining up for both the regular menu and the new customized salads and burgers.
"It's friendlier, feels more like a cafe than a McDonald's," said Nicolas Cottard, a businessman from France.

"I think it's increased the value of the brand."

Time for a change

Why would McDonald's shift its decades-old, tried and tested methods?

Because the old business model is failing.

In May last year, McDonald's announced its major turnaround plan after both revenues and guest traffic fell around the world.

Following disappointing first quarter results in 2015, Kevin Ozan, McDonald's chief financial officer, stated that the "current performance reflects the ongoing pressures on the business."

Not only is there more competition in the fast food market, but people around the world are becoming more health conscious.

According to a Nielsen Global Health and Wellness survey conducted last year, 50% of global respondents claimed they're trying to lose weight.

And 75% of those people planned to do so by changing their diets and focusing on more natural, fresh foods.

Is it still going to be cheap?

With a fresh perspective comes a new pricing model.

A regular salad from the McDonald's Next salad bar, depending on ingredients, will cost about the same as salads at other restaurants in the city.

"The price is a little bit higher but it's good," said Man Chan, a regular at McDonald's Next.
"It's very fresh."

McDonald's Next, Shop 1-41, Admiralty Centre, Admiralty, Hong Kong; +852 2578 3870

Inside the world's first McDonald's Next - CNN.com

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If I wanted the illusion of eating healthy, I would just go to Subway lol

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
The Devil's eatery, for more reasons than I care to list. Burn them all. :rocketwhore:

Funnily enough, they've been closing hundreds of stores globally this past few years. In Bolivia they struggled for 10 years to take a share of the market & finally gave up after failing to turn a profit: http://www.naturalnews.com/040752_Bolivia_McDonalds_restaurants_fast_food.html
Bolivia - I salute you! :clap2:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've got you ask; do China McDonald's employ immigrants that don't speak Chinese?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quinoa is overrated. Seems no better than Oatmeal. More trendy stuff for people to toss money away at. Like Starbucks. Sheeple.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've got you ask; do China McDonald's employ immigrants that don't speak Chinese?
Never seen non Chinese speaking workers there before.

Young Chinese do learn English there now in the major parts....although in areas more frequented by foreigners those more proficient are hired in places such as McDonald's or Starbucks.

It's more common than most people think.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Devil's eatery, for more reasons than I care to list. Burn them all. :rocketwhore:

Funnily enough, they've been closing hundreds of stores globally this past few years. In Bolivia they struggled for 10 years to take a share of the market & finally gave up after failing to turn a profit: http://www.naturalnews.com/040752_Bolivia_McDonalds_restaurants_fast_food.html
Bolivia - I salute you! :clap2:
They are the evil empire yes, but I still prefer to have fast food places open that at least have a healthier option available here and there. I eat at McDonald's and Wendy's very often.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Quinoa is overrated. Seems no better than Oatmeal. More trendy stuff for people to toss money away at. Like Starbucks. Sheeple.
Tell that to a coeliac - too much cross contamination with gluten containing grains for most oat processing. Otherwise oats are fine.
Quinoa is great cooked with rice, or in mixed cold salads (ie. beans). Can't do that with oatmeal :wink1:
Can't argue about sheeple though. 3 weeks after NYE & my gym is still packed with fresh faced resolutioners!

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
They are the evil empire yes, but I still prefer to have fast food places open that at least have a healthier option available here and there. I eat at McDonald's and Wendy's very often.
Each to their own. Personally, I would rather go hungry than eat at either, though I suspect from what you say here that US Wendy's is considerably different to the ice cream & hot dog purveyor we have here in Oz. Zero nutritional value in that disease producing, sugar filled, over-processed rot.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don't have kids do you? It would be pretty sad to have this as an example for them.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Each to their own. Personally, I would rather go hungry than eat at either, though I suspect from what you say here that US Wendy's is considerably different to the ice cream & hot dog purveyor we have here in Oz. Zero nutritional value in that disease producing, sugar filled, over-processed rot.
I always just buy grilled chicken salads and toss the dressing out. Sometimes I bring it home and throw in a egg or two to spike the protein up if I need it.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't have kids do you? It would be pretty sad to have this as an example for them.
I dont have kids....but if I did I in no way would condition them to be eating happy meals, lol.

McDonalds isnt the "unhealthy" part, your food choices are. Of course, they brainwash kids into thinking happiness comes with garbage, but I would be there to prevent that.

Of course if you watch biased documentaries such as "Supersize" they make things looks as if McDonalds will make you obese which is really not the case.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Speaking of McDonalds in China...I cannot eat there (outside of the new hong kong place, but I dont go there.)

If you put a napkin on their grilled chickens it gets totally soaked in oil. Chinese generally dont like dry meats. They never had salads, so I thought I buy grilled chicken sandwiches and just throw out the bun and wipe any sauce, but they made that impossible for me with all the oil they put on it. Hopefully the new version of McDonalds will expand at the rest of China in places such as Beijing and Shanghai.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I dont have kids....but if I did I in no way would condition them to be eating happy meals, lol.

McDonalds isnt the "unhealthy" part, your food choices are. Of course, they brainwash kids into thinking happiness comes with garbage, but I would be there to prevent that.

Of course if you watch biased documentaries such as "Supersize" they make things looks as if McDonalds will make you obese which is really not the case.
Nothing biased about Supersize me. The premise being that following McSh!tholes recommended dietary guidelines one could obtain all of the nutritional requirements necessary. Remember, we're talking 12 odd years ago now, and that doco put such heat on them & the fast food industry that change was going to be inevitable. I believe that here in Oz McD's is actually considered to be far more progressive in it's approach to modernising it's food - as in the nutritional factors - than in the US. US patrons can be a stubborn lot.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat mcdonalds far more than what I am comfortable with admitting to

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat mcdonalds far more than what I am comfortable with admitting to
Burger King is our FF of choice. Great value menu including ice cream. I just love the Coke products kiosks they have now. Limitless selection of beverages and all you can drink refills. Our family is so busy it's nice to just drive 5 mins up the road and drop $10 and fill our bellies and hang out. The simple stuff is underrated these days.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Burger King is our FF of choice. Great value menu including ice cream. I just love the Coke products kiosks they have now. Limitless selection of beverages and all you can drink refills. Our family is so busy it's nice to just drive 5 mins up the road and drop $10 and fill our bellies and hang out. The simple stuff is underrated these days.
Great call...my local one has that kiosk....they have a couple of my favorites not found in most places, diet root beer, minutemade light and Powerade Zero Cherry flavor (which Ive never seen bottles before.)

Always go back home with a full cup of drink for my fridge for the next day!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a fan of BK, the wife doesn't care for it but me and the kids eat it no problem (my son recently started getting whoppers now so he loves BK because he makes him feel more grown up ordering such a big sandwhich).

McDonald's gets my patronage primarily because of convenience. During my daily commute I pass about 5 mcdonalds. BK is a bit out the way for me but if I could pick a fast food spot off preference, it would be either Wendy's or chick fil a.

Our go to no-cook family meal where we can eat cheap and hang out together is the local pizza place down the street. They love pizza!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never eat FF. Recently received the usual BK BOGO and Subways BOGO offers. Tossed in the trash. Last occasion I ate BK was 2004. BOGO Whoppers. Made me sick.

It really is just crap. White bread bun. Gristly meat. mayo. Only decent is the single vidalia onion slice, tomato slice(hopefully without fridge burn), single leaf of lettuce.
You can do far better on your own for the same price.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never eat FF. Recently received the usual BK BOGO and Subways BOGO offers. Tossed in the trash. Last occasion I ate BK was 2004. BOGO Whoppers. Made me sick.

It really is just crap. White bread bun. Gristly meat. mayo. Only decent is the single vidalia onion slice, tomato slice(hopefully without fridge burn), single leaf of lettuce.
You can do far better on your own for the same price.
Those choices are crap I agree....

Or you can just get a salad with no dressing!

Subway salads are awesome, better than BK, although BK grilled chicken is far better.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a fan of BK, the wife doesn't care for it but me and the kids eat it no problem (my son recently started getting whoppers now so he loves BK because he makes him feel more grown up ordering such a big sandwhich).

McDonald's gets my patronage primarily because of convenience. During my daily commute I pass about 5 mcdonalds. BK is a bit out the way for me but if I could pick a fast food spot off preference, it would be either Wendy's or chick fil a.

Our go to no-cook family meal where we can eat cheap and hang out together is the local pizza place down the street. They love pizza!
I really like chick fil a but it is pricey. Granted it's high quality but you do get what you pay for.

My wife and daughter love pizza. They pick up a little Ceasars hit n ready every Friday. Very convenient for a busy family. I like pizza but bring a Brooklyn boy it isn't really pizza IMO. But I'll down a couple slices after I eat a good quality protein source.

Personally today it's quality of life over quality of nutrition. I eat like that only once or twice a week. My daughters not going to care about the macros we consumed when I'm in a box in the dirt. Perspective.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reminds me back in 2005 I was dating a single mom and took her and the kid to one of those bistro McDonalds in/around Orlando. Food prepared by a guy with chef hat and outfit. (Bistro Program discontinued a year or so ago) Had chicken wraps or similar.Not bad. The amount of french fries a kid could consume was amazing and you know those chicken nuggets are just plain gross.

I had my first Big Mac when I was eight years of age. Hated it and could not finish it. Never again. The french fries were good then and the quant little bag(now the small) was the perfect size. Now too much food and the smell of grease is overpowering.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really like chick fil a but it is pricey. Granted it's high quality but you do get what you pay for.

My wife and daughter love pizza. They pick up a little Ceasars hit n ready every Friday. Very convenient for a busy family. I like pizza but bring a Brooklyn boy it isn't really pizza IMO. But I'll down a couple slices after I eat a good quality protein source.

Personally today it's quality of life over quality of nutrition. I eat like that only once or twice a week. My daughters not going to care about the macros we consumed when I'm in a box in the dirt. Perspective.
I often joke that chick fil a is the Target of fast food (with mcd and company being the walmarts). It's a way to eat fast food and not feel guilty about it. Not sure if the quality is actually better but the taste is IMO.

I hate commercial pizza with little Caesar being the worst offender, lol. I prefer the little mom and pop type pizza places over pizza hut, dominos, etc.

As for your sentiments about family time, I totally get your presepctive here. I always roll my eyes like a 12 year old girl when I hear/read people on their soapbox getting all preachy/judgemental over how others eat, especially when it comes to kids/parenting.

They are either (or a combination of) young, immature, don't have kids, delusional, and/or have screwed up priorities in life.

The other day I went to pick my daughter up from my mom's house and she had made this cake concoction thing and when I walked in she jumped and yelled "daddy I made you a cake". My macros for the day, calories for the day, meal timing, etc wasn't a thought in ny head for not even a second. I ate the whole piece (despite it being super weird/gross).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, this is one of the few boards that you will hear macros and kids in the same sentence. But, it is important that they learn about nutrition and keep healthy options around the house even at a very young age. One of our favorite things to do is go out to eat and my kids love Red Robin, but we also keep bags of pre-cut veggies, tupperwear of meats/cheeses, etc.. for them to grab as snacks instead of sweets and they love it. There is a balance. If you have a chance, go eat lunch with your kid(s) at school sometime and see the difference in the lunches that the parents make who understand the importance of diet and those that don't give a ****. It is astounding the garbage and sugar that these kids eat.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
There is no place in a child's life for soft drink & French fries. None. This is dead food: damaged trans fats, sugar or artificial sweeteners, artificial colours & flavours. This crap is the reason for the explosion of health issues such as diabetes & heart disease since the 80's. Throw ADHD in there too.

And if anyone thinks that drinking diet soda will save them from diabetes - think again. The body responds to the introduction of "sweet" as it as perceived as a source of carbohydrate, namely sugar. It will thereby release insulin & with no sugars entering the bloodstream you now have excess insulin with no ready purpose.

Want to give kids a treat? juice some fruit yourself & add soda (carbonated) water to it. No sweetener necessary.
Oven roast or air fry potato chips.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Fast food for me is a kebab - wrap, lean meat & salad. Quick, cheap, nutritious & tasty. Little to no white flour or sugar.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no place in a child's life for soft drink & French fries. None. This is dead food: damaged trans fats, sugar or artificial sweeteners, artificial colours & flavours. This crap is the reason for the explosion of health issues such as diabetes & heart disease since the 80's. Throw ADHD in there too.

And if anyone thinks that drinking diet soda will save them from diabetes - think again. The body responds to the introduction of "sweet" as it as perceived as a source of carbohydrate, namely sugar. It will thereby release insulin & with no sugars entering the bloodstream you now have excess insulin with no ready purpose.

Want to give kids a treat? juice some fruit yourself & add soda (carbonated) water to it. No sweetener necessary.
Exhibit A

Reactions: ax1
ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'm not for kids eating fried and diet soda or anything, but do have you seen human data supporting your diet soda claims?

You have to understand how the industry works, the "health" movement often will throw a little rat study to further promote their agenda$$$ when what really matters are randomized double blind human controlled study's.

I do think water is better than diet soda but I drink diet soda every day and my bloods are great health.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We ate that stuff as kids in the 1970s. Fatties few and far between. I would not begrudge a kid a burger and fries and root beer.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol, this is one of the few boards that you will hear macros and kids in the same sentence. But, it is important that they learn about nutrition and keep healthy options around the house even at a very young age. One of our favorite things to do is go out to eat and my kids love Red Robin, but we also keep bags of pre-cut veggies, tupperwear of meats/cheeses, etc.. for them to grab as snacks instead of sweets and they love it. There is a balance. If you have a chance, go eat lunch with your kid(s) at school sometime and see the difference in the lunches that the parents make who understand the importance of diet and those that don't give a ****. It is astounding the garbage and sugar that these kids eat.
I was raised with junk food, I would be handed however much ice cream I wanted to eat and I payed for it....growing up with fat jokes, feeling unhealthy, getting tired going up the stairs, etc....

On the contrary, teaching kids how NOT to eat and suffering the consequences of these bad habits may make kids WANT to understand the importance of a solid diet and take action in the first place. This is true to me, may not be true to others but thats how I initially got my drive.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was raised with junk food, I would be handed however much ice cream I wanted to eat and I payed for it....growing up with fat jokes, feeling unhealthy, getting tired going up the stairs, etc....

On the contrary, teaching kids how NOT to eat and suffering the consequences of these bad habits may make kids WANT to understand the importance of a solid diet and take action in the first place. This is true to me, may not be true to others but thats how I initially got my drive.
There is so much flaw in this thinking that I am not sure it would do any good to try and correct it.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is so much flaw in this thinking that I am not sure it would do any good to try and correct it.
Just to clarify....I wasnt suggesting that's what you should do, give kids bad habits. I made that clear previously. I can see how my post can be a little confusing on the other end, but this is my fault. My post came off flawed, lol!

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I'm not for kids eating fried and diet soda or anything, but do have you seen human data supporting your diet soda claims?

You have to understand how the industry works, the "health" movement often will throw a little rat study to further promote their agenda$$$ when what really matters are randomized double blind human controlled study's.

I do think water is better than diet soda but I drink diet soda every day and my bloods are great health.
I've been studying this stuff for years, I don't suggest such info without some knowledge behind it. It's not rocket science, there are a myriad of mechanisms within the body that will be triggered by any number of external factors & that is but one.
Other research has shown that artificial sweetened drinks can raise blood sugar through fermentation in the gut, again spiking insulin & creating an imbalance in gut bacteria, creating further health issues.
If you're going to drink it, do so with a meal. It's no better for you than regular soft drink, just has fewer calories.

I don't even understand the point you're making here. If you're suggesting let kids ruin their body's so they can understand the importance of healthy eating...I, well, that's just absurd.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been studying this stuff for years, I don't suggest such info without some knowledge behind it. It's not rocket science, there are a myriad of mechanisms within the body that will be triggered by any number of external factors & that is but one.
Other research has shown that artificial sweetened drinks can raise blood sugar through fermentation in the gut, again spiking insulin & creating an imbalance in gut bacteria, creating further health issues.
If you're going to drink it, do so with a meal. It's no better for you than regular soft drink, just has fewer calories.

I don't even understand the point you're making here. If you're suggesting let kids ruin their body's so they can understand the importance of healthy eating...I, well, that's just absurd.
Id still like to see actual studies, but I understand you may not have time to find and post which is understandable. Ill try to find and dig myself so I can better understand these effects if significant and at what quantities in humans. I just need real scientific studies on humans to believe it conclusively and not theory (not saying that is what your providing.)

Excuse the second post, I had acknowledged it came across wrong. I had said before I would not feed my own kids fries, soda and junk food just that my previous post just didnt make sense of what I was really thinking and what my fingers typed....Thats what I get time to time when Im working/posting simultaneously, lol.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
We ate that stuff as kids in the 1970s. Fatties few and far between. I would not begrudge a kid a burger and fries and root beer.
In the 70's meat was meat, buns were still bread & root beer was but a few ingredients with sugar you would burn off.
That same food nowadays is incomparable - hyper-processed garbage with so many unnecessary ingredients such as fillers it's just incredible.

There's even a plasticised filler that's been approved for use in foods - and subsequently banned in many European countries (US i'm unsure). It's a nano-filler, used in cosmetics to plump out the product & due to it's nano-size was deemed suitable for human consumption as it would supposedly pass through our digestive tracts without interference or harm caused to the body.
How incredibly flawed is that logic? Recent research has found measurable levels of it in Sydney Harbour, an enormous volume of water, proving that it's now making it's way back to us through the food chain.

This is the future the food industry giants are trying to push upon us. Unfortunately for you guys in the US (I can't speak for China & SE Asia, but it's actually worse from what I understand), the senate has time & again blocked laws that would offer the consumer far greater transparency as to the contents & origins of packaged & store bought foods. The food industry is IMMENSELY powerful in the US, they make the gun lobbyists look like kids with cap guns. It is them pushing to make the growing of edible plant matter at home & in community gardens ILLEGAL, across all states. Sad but true.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So according the WebMD and the evidence they provide, it seems far more research needs to be done. Research is still in its "infancy."

They site one study of 400 people having different gut bacteria and they did tend of have higher fasting blood sugar levels...Ill have to find the study and see specifically which artificial sweetener was used. I also question what is also important which is the whole diet of the 400 people which is probably average I assume and how that the effects can differentiate between them and strict year round diet and training disciplinarians such as myself. I wonder if a pro-biotic can also help counter these effects. Just quick thoughts off my head.

They mention one more human study of 7 people which is rather small and no blind placebo was involved...although I think something like that should open the doors to a real study.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar?page=2

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Id still like to see actual studies, but I understand you may not have time to find and post which is understandable. Ill try to find and dig myself so I can better understand these effects if significant and at what quantities in humans. I just need real scientific studies on humans to believe it conclusively and not theory (not saying that is what your providing.)

Excuse the second post, I had acknowledged it came across wrong. I had said before I would not feed my own kids fries, soda and junk food just that my previous post just didnt make sense of what I was really thinking and what my fingers typed....Thats what I get time to time when Im working/posting simultaneously, lol.
Much of my info comes from print, so finding that research online can be difficult. One brilliant source is:
http://www.naturalmedicine.net.nz/
I know it sounds a little hokey, but New Zealand still has a relatively free press and all articles are supported with links to their origins. These guys have some seriously good ability to track down up to date research from around the world, all supported as I mentioned. It's amazing the number of times I've seen info presented by them finally make it's way into mainstream media a year or 2 after being released.

They were releasing info on Aspartame many years ago, have been printing articles & papers showing certifiable deaths caused by over-ingestion. That is almost impossible to prove, no doctor has been willing to state on a death cert that Aspartame was the primary cause of death until recently. Funnily enough, when the FDA finally relented (in 1986 I think) after many attempts by the original manufacturer GD Searle to have Aspartame reclassified as a food additive, rather than a medication (anti-ulcer), all members sitting on that panel eventually found their way onto the board of Searle & close affiliates over the next few years. Every single one. These people go from private enterprise to govt body & back again, amending & creating new legislation as they go to suit the big co's, then reaping the financial rewards.

Anyhoo, i'm off topic a bit here, apologies for the rant.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Much of my info comes from print, so finding that research online can be difficult. One brilliant source is:
http://www.naturalmedicine.net.nz/
I know it sounds a little hokey, but New Zealand still has a relatively free press and all articles are supported with links to their origins. These guys have some seriously good ability to track down up to date research from around the world, all supported as I mentioned. It's amazing the number of times I've seen info presented by them finally make it's way into mainstream media a year or 2 after being released.

They were releasing info on Aspartame many years ago, have been printing articles & papers showing certifiable deaths caused by over-ingestion. That is almost impossible to prove, no doctor has been willing to state on a death cert that Aspartame was the primary cause of death until recently. Funnily enough, when the FDA finally relented (in 1986 I think) after many attempts by the original manufacturer GD Searle to have Aspartame reclassified as a food additive, rather than a medication (anti-ulcer), all members sitting on that panel eventually found their way onto the board of Searle & close affiliates over the next few years. Every single one. These people go from private enterprise to govt body & back again, amending & creating new legislation as they go to suit the big co's, then reaping the financial rewards.

Anyhoo, i'm off topic a bit here, apologies for the rant.
Thanks for the info, Ill take a look at the website. Rants are good, let it all out, lol.

Artificial sweeteners have helped me maintain sanity while being a strict disciplinarian year after year.....being someone who had weight issues and binge eating issues much of my life Ive been in full control since 2008 and am usually very lean year round and I really thank artificial sweeteners for helping me get there. My bloods come out very healthy for a near 40 year old. I think whats important is people get checked. I do agree 1,000% its better to not use controversial sweeteners where we really dont know the long term effects of them. My next phase in life perhaps should be trying to eliminate them out of my diet as well and just rid the craving for sweets for good. I cant go to sugar, Im in danger of reverting to binge eating and the way I look means everything to me.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info, Ill take a look at the website. Rants are good, let it all out, lol.

Artificial sweeteners have helped me maintain sanity while being a strict disciplinarian year after year.....being someone who had weight issues and binge eating issues much of my life Ive been in full control since 2008 and am usually very lean year round and I really thank artificial sweeteners for helping me get there. My bloods come out very healthy for a near 40 year old. I think whats important is people get checked. I do agree 1,000% its better to not use controversial sweeteners where we really dont know the long term effects of them. My next phase in life perhaps should be trying to eliminate them out of my diet as well and just rid the craving for sweets for good. I cant go to sugar, Im in danger of reverting to binge eating and the way I look means everything to me.
That's the trick mate, rewiring the brain to lessen the desire for sweet foods. Gut + brain = very powerful.

You know the gut is lined with neurons? http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18779997

There's ever-increasing evidence of the link between diet + gut health to immune system + mental health.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's the trick mate, rewiring the brain to lessen the desire for sweet foods. Gut + brain = very powerful.

You know the gut is lined with neurons? http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18779997

There's ever-increasing evidence of the link between diet + gut health to immune system + mental health.
Thats interesting...I certainly should further consider taking my gut health more seriously, longevity and health are important to me as well.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the 70's meat was meat, buns were still bread & root beer was but a few ingredients with sugar you would burn off.
That same food nowadays is incomparable - hyper-processed garbage with so many unnecessary ingredients such as fillers it's just incredible.

There's even a plasticised filler that's been approved for use in foods - and subsequently banned in many European countries (US i'm unsure). It's a nano-filler, used in cosmetics to plump out the product & due to it's nano-size was deemed suitable for human consumption as it would supposedly pass through our digestive tracts without interference or harm caused to the body.
How incredibly flawed is that logic? Recent research has found measurable levels of it in Sydney Harbour, an enormous volume of water, proving that it's now making it's way back to us through the food chain.

This is the future the food industry giants are trying to push upon us. Unfortunately for you guys in the US (I can't speak for China & SE Asia, but it's actually worse from what I understand), the senate has time & again blocked laws that would offer the consumer far greater transparency as to the contents & origins of packaged & store bought foods. The food industry is IMMENSELY powerful in the US, they make the gun lobbyists look like kids with cap guns. It is them pushing to make the growing of edible plant matter at home & in community gardens ILLEGAL, across all states. Sad but true.
Poor kids today. Either miss out on a great shaping experience(you know lunch with dad, bros, friends, girls) or digest crap.

Like I wrote above. The small size of the hamburger and fries and drink in the 1970s was perfect for that age group. My current example with kids is too much food and echoes what you wrote awful content,i.e. mystery chicken nuggets.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My child(ren) don't gorge themselves on the BK food we eat. A single cheese burger plain each (I order extra pickles). We buy a single value fries which means that me, the wife and daughter share 40 fries.

Parents who do not supervise and teach their children about what they are eating is the problem...not the food or BK.

Shall we blame Jack Daniels for alcoholism?

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
My child(ren) don't gorge themselves on the BK food we eat. A single cheese burger plain each (I order extra pickles). We buy a single value fries which means that me, the wife and daughter share 40 fries.

Parents who do not supervise and teach their children about what they are eating is the problem...not the food or BK.

Shall we blame Jack Daniels for alcoholism?
We have become a cog in the machine. The IMF owns you from the day you're born, any gov't connected to the IMF through loans (most of the world) gives them the number printed on your birth certificate. This is what enables gov't's to borrow - it is based on their potential to raise taxes from their constituents.

We are their pawns & we are fed what they give us. The 1% require a docile, subservient population to work as automatons, trapped within their machine. Always reaching for that bit more. The name of the company matters not, they are all the same at that size. Eat, work, pay taxes, sleep, repeat.

The only way to really teach children about food, health and life is to get back to nature. Or rather, take back what is rightfully ours & grow food for ourselves. Try & find heirloom seed in the US to do so. You won't, it's illegal to store it. You can buy Monsantos GMO crap & it'll produce for 1 season, then die. If, that is, you're allowed to grow anything. I read a news article where a SWAT team was dispatched to take care of a woman who was growing veg in her front yard, the city I don't recall. She had been warned by health authorities and didn't remove the plants, so she was deemed to be a "threat", raided by SWAT & jailed. If you don't play by their rules, they will take you down.

So yes, teach your children about what they're eating, but understand what it is & how it got to be there. Subsidised crops exist to feed the poor/working class. It's not freshly available produce that will provide health benefits, it is GMO crops such as corn that go into a myriad of foods & animal feed (which itself is causing huge problems with gut biota in pigs & cows, translating to massive overuse of antibiotics).

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Indeed. Good clip.
My previous post got a little heavy, late night, tired & a little cranky. My sentiments I stand by, but i'll endeavour to lighten up a little :wink1:

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We have become a cog in the machine. The IMF owns you from the day you're born, any gov't connected to the IMF through loans (most of the world) gives them the number printed on your birth certificate. This is what enables gov't's to borrow - it is based on their potential to raise taxes from their constituents.

We are their pawns & we are fed what they give us. The 1% require a docile, subservient population to work as automatons, trapped within their machine. Always reaching for that bit more. The name of the company matters not, they are all the same at that size. Eat, work, pay taxes, sleep, repeat.

The only way to really teach children about food, health and life is to get back to nature. Or rather, take back what is rightfully ours & grow food for ourselves. Try & find heirloom seed in the US to do so. You won't, it's illegal to store it. You can buy Monsantos GMO crap & it'll produce for 1 season, then die. If, that is, you're allowed to grow anything. I read a news article where a SWAT team was dispatched to take care of a woman who was growing veg in her front yard, the city I don't recall. She had been warned by health authorities and didn't remove the plants, so she was deemed to be a "threat", raided by SWAT & jailed. If you don't play by their rules, they will take you down.

So yes, teach your children about what they're eating, but understand what it is & how it got to be there. Subsidised crops exist to feed the poor/working class. It's not freshly available produce that will provide health benefits, it is GMO crops such as corn that go into a myriad of foods & animal feed (which itself is causing huge problems with gut biota in pigs & cows, translating to massive overuse of antibiotics).
someone spends far too much time on youtube

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just got back from "exposing" my child to the BK 5 for $4. Please don't call CPS ;)
image.jpeg

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is cool!

http://www.bk.com/menu-item/5-4-deal

Scroll down to adjust the meal content.

She had no condiments and a Coke Zero and I ate half her fries and 3 of her nuggets. Aside from the sodium and maybe twice the fat that I'd like (but I did eat her nuggets) it's not too terribly awful.