Garage gym....

cyrix

cyrix

Awards
I'm planning to add a deadlift platform to my garage and am leaning towards building one but is there a benefit to buying a manufacturered one other than convenience? (the cost difference is quite substantial) I figure a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood and some 3/4" stall mat should do the trick.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
The platform that my gym has is raised. Build 2x4 frame, the center part you stand on is plywood, and each side where the plates land is mat. Stack the mats thick enough to fill the 3.5" width of 2x4. Maybe put a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 trim on top along the edges to hold the edges of the mats down and give a decent finished look.2016-01-08 07.28.22.jpg

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
If you can build it and it don't break go for it , I'm a big diy guy sounds like a fun project

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya just build your own it'll cost a lot less and be just as solid (I've done several and they've all been great).

cyrix

cyrix

Awards
As soon as it warms up a bit I'll be getting started. I like diy better most of the time anyway.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya just build your own it'll cost a lot less and be just as solid (I've done several and they've all been great).
how have you built yours?