MJK leaves Tool?

B

BryanFury

Awards
Rumors have started up again about Maynard leaving Tool. Supposedly he has "found God" and is putting music on the backburner. This isn't the first time rumors have started after the bands last release was so long ago.

But this time, reports say Kurt Loder (MTV host/reporter) confirmed the rumor in an email conversation with Maynard. Anyone have any more info to add, or hopefully dispell the rumors?

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i like tool, but manyarnd can be kinda fag, he is sooo dramatic. I am not suprised he "found god" what a homo rock star. He is a hypocrite too, making fun of people who use drugs and then using acid and other mind expanding drugs himself.

B

BryanFury

Awards
I bring it up because it just seems fishy when you consider Head leaving Korn under the same circumstances.

W

wimpy

Awards
you must take anything ever said by any member of tool with a grain of salt. they make **** up all the time. esp mjk.

the new album is (supposedly) well underway.

T

tattoopierced1

maybe maynard and head are starting a christian rock band... :p

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
please dont tell me you guys like korn....biggest poser band ever!!!!!If your looking for bands that make tool and korn look like a bunch of homos (which they are) check out these bands

inflames
soilwork
killswitch engage
shadows fall
trivium
it dies today

i can list more.......many more

J

Jblake

Awards
It's a joke. Maynard said it around April fools day. I googled it a while back and he was kidding around.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
It's a joke. Maynard said it around April fools day. I googled it a while back and he was kidding around.
I was gonna say because Maynard's been anti-God for a while now. Hell, the hidden track at the end of Opium was like a couple minutes of him talking about drugs and saying 'Saaatan, Saaatan...' A Perfect Circle's cool though.

B

BryanFury

Awards
The April fools joke makes more sense than anything. Like I said, just brought it up to get more info.

Never said I liked Korn, just comparing the two. Though the poser comment...some would say the same about In Flames post Reroute to Remain, Killswitch and Shadows Fall. Personal preference though, I'm not judging. Considering I think I listed them in the New Workout CD thread.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
no way!!!!!!!!!:eek: In flames is one of the best metal bands ever. I admitt the new cd sucks for the most part...ok how about these.....

as I lay dying
unearth
bleeding through
arch enemy
100 demons
the haunted
disturbed (just kidding)

T

tattoopierced1

DevilDriver
Fear Factory
Static-X (old WDT days)

are some of my favs...

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm with tp1 regarding old Static-X. :thumbsup: And that's coming from a jazz/funk trumpet player...

T

theamazing3000

Awards
  • Established
I am pretty sure fear factory is about to do a new cd!

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
sorry guys, but I am gonna have to diagree on static-x, their total posers. Fear Factory, however imo is a mixture of poser (nu) and real metal. I have every one of their cds. If you like ff try the band mnemic, their kinda poser to imo, but much better than something like slipknot (king of all poser band)

I

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You guys should try out Children of Bodom, I think Follow the Reaper is there best CD. I also like Superjoint Ritual, dying Fetus, Opeth, Sepultura.

I

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
oh yeah, and Hatebreed, im also a SOAD fan.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
definitely feel you on children of bodom.....the new one is good too. There good live as well.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
sorry guys, but I am gonna have to diagree on static-x, their total posers. Fear Factory, however imo is a mixture of poser (nu) and real metal. I have every one of their cds. If you like ff try the band mnemic, their kinda poser to imo, but much better than something like slipknot (king of all poser band)
define 'poser' in the sense that you repeatedly use it.

K

Kaboju

Awards
Yes define poser, in the sense that I know of it, you yourself would be a poser pretending to know it all on metal calling other bands posers when you don't have a successful band yourself.

B

BryanFury

Awards
The term "poser" is being tossed around a bit much in my opinion, as it is being used under your own opinion. I didn't say any of the ones you posted Undertaker were bad, I'm just saying personal opinion can show just about whatever. Its like trying to compare american metal to euro-metal, they may fall in the same genre, but peoples taste for either will vary greatly.

Didn't mean to start a nu-metal bash fest.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i'm just curious as to how he judges a band to be deemed 'poser'.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
YEah, tool sucks...pff... :rolleyes: TOOL KICK"S ASS....and the thing about MJK leavin' was an april fools joke about 26 days ago...lol.

N

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
YEah, tool sucks...pff... :rolleyes: TOOL KICK"S ASS....and the thing about MJK leavin' was an april fools joke about 26 days ago...lol.
:thumbsup:

Tool is one of very few "newer" bands that I have respect for. No shortage of talent and originality here...

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
please dont tell me you guys like korn....biggest poser band ever!!!!!If your looking for bands that make tool and korn look like a bunch of homos (which they are) check out these bands

inflames
soilwork
killswitch engage
shadows fall
trivium
it dies today

i can list more.......many more
Opeth is good too :D

W

wimpy

Awards
I was gonna say because Maynard's been anti-God for a while now. Hell, the hidden track at the end of Opium was like a couple minutes of him talking about drugs and saying 'Saaatan, Saaatan...' A Perfect Circle's cool though.
maynard is anti-christian, though i wouldn't say ant-god. as he said in an interview "when i said **** your god, i didn't mean the God, just your god".

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I agree....being poser is an opinion, its really hard to explain what makes a band a poser band. poser metal and real metal/metalcore come from different backrounds and have different emphases. A big difference is poser metal bands are mostly bands that ripped off of korn, where as real metal bands began with iron maiden and cannibal corpse, or from hardcore bands like agnostic front and madball. Poser (nu) metal is waterdowned real metal with crappy riffs and singers who dont scream alot cuz there scared of not getting radio play. There emphasis is on show (ie dressing up in costumes etc) and less on the music.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
and yes opeth is a very talented and awesome band

R

robert1

Awards
don't make icons out of men, follow the feeling, respect the privacy, don't find an answer, find a question

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
A big difference is poser metal bands are mostly bands that ripped off of korn
I confused by this statement. Earlier in the thread you stated Korn is the biggest poser band ever, but in this last statement you say poser bands are bands that ripped off of Korn. :confused:

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
korn's first ablum was revolutionary.....then they change, jon's voice changed the image changed, they sold out big time.....thus I now consider them a poser band.

T

tattoopierced1

korn's first ablum was revolutionary.....then they change, jon's voice changed the image changed, they sold out big time.....thus I now consider them a poser band.
I'm sure they care being they are millionaires...hell, if I were in the music business I'd probably "sell out" too as you put it if it made me considerable more money rather than staying out of the mainstream and possibly fail. JMO though.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
but I think now there music is starting to suck so bad even mainstream listeners think they suck.....after korns 3rd ablum they really started getting bad.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I agree....being poser is an opinion, its really hard to explain what makes a band a poser band. poser metal and real metal/metalcore come from different backrounds and have different emphases. A big difference is poser metal bands are mostly bands that ripped off of korn, where as real metal bands began with iron maiden and cannibal corpse, or from hardcore bands like agnostic front and madball. Poser (nu) metal is waterdowned real metal with crappy riffs and singers who dont scream alot cuz there scared of not getting radio play. There emphasis is on show (ie dressing up in costumes etc) and less on the music.
I really wouldn't call a bunch of noise along with some screaming and grunting music IMO. That's me though. Personally, I like these so called poser bands who put the emphasis on having a good lyrisist along with sound intstrement play. Yes, I like some of the heavier stuff, but it is those bands you would call posers. Who gives a ****. You don't like it, kiss my ass.

T

tattoopierced1

but I think now there music is starting to suck so bad even mainstream listeners think they suck.....after korns 3rd ablum they really started getting bad.
not saying I disagree, but everyone has a right to their own opinion, and IMO, dont think they should be critisized for what they choose to listen to. I just dont feel like I have to "defend" my music over someone elses choice. But to each their own.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
im not here to tell people what to listen to, just statmenting my opinion. Sorry bro I dont kiss ass, im not gay like that

R

robert1

Awards
robert1 says

yea...what he said
I'm so full of ishit....but I stand by what I said, although...following such a message could also be seen as blind allegiance...tough call. Maynards attempts to creat a negative where most bands/front men/leaders try to form a demogoguery has made him a demigod, the wizard of oz, a voice from behind the curtain that draws the unassured.

N

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Ahh gotchya. I do agree that their 1st album was their best, but I felt follow the leader was good in it's on way. Their newer stuff is complete garbage IMO. Reminds me of another kick ass metal band that lost their stuff.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I saw those rumors and I think that it was just a April Fools joke to whomever started the thread and I believe that it was mentioned in the thread. The statement that Tool is a poser band is fucking rediculous and shows how much you actually know about there music and the band members in general. I could careless about Korn and have no idea how you are relating the two because they are in no way similar to each other. Tool is not a metal band and never claimed to produce metal, perhaps you thought they were metal because they have been put in that "category".

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i never said tool was metal or poser.....I topic switched cuz someone was talking about korn.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i actually know a good deal about the band.

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
1992 makes tool new?? ;-) and i am shocked this took 26 days to get around on the internet... it was just a joke... last year he died in a bus crash... ( maynard that is) and i was so happy to have heard that there was another person named maynard... other than brother maynard from the Monty Python movie... but alas... maynard isn't even maynard's real name..... i have the worst name EVER

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
1992 makes tool new?? ;-) and i am shocked this took 26 days to get around on the internet... it was just a joke... last year he died in a bus crash... ( maynard that is) and i was so happy to have heard that there was another person named maynard... other than brother maynard from the Monty Python movie... but alas... maynard isn't even maynard's real name..... i have the worst name EVER
Dude, your name kicks' ass. I wish I was named maynard...lol. Seriously, I think I'm gonna name my kid that..lol.