Transgender and TRT/HRT

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is a topic I have wanted to discuss for a while now, but haven't had time to bring it up.

Before we get into the discussion, I hope we can keep this thread civilized and on point with the discussion at hand. This is NOT about your views on transgender folks being right or wrong, how it's against any religious beliefs, this is NOT about your views on homosexuality, or any other views you may have on alternative life styles.

The question is, how do you feel about transgender women who are transitioning into a male, being prescribed TRT and insurance companies willingly covering it, along with doctors easily prescribing it?

Admittedly, I am not well informed on this subject so I may be saying wrong things, or simply misinformed but from what I observe it seems like transgender women once the decision has been made to transition, do not have to go through all kinds of trouble with being prescribed TRT.

Now, I understand that most transgender folks have to go through years of therapy prior to any changes being made and it's a very serious decision that is made. I also understand that for many transgender folks, it feels like they are trapped in a body that they do not belong in. They feel as if they are being tortured everyday, and for most, the transition is finally a step towards inner peace. I fully support that, and I even support them getting hormonal injections.

What I don't understand is that, time after time, I read about men with low T who feel completely miserable and not like themselves, going to the doctors and getting blood work done. They get their numbers back and they happen to be "low" but still in the normal range, and get sent on their way. It seems like a lot of doctors do not like to prescribe TRT to men unless they are within a certain number range.

Aside from that, it seems like a whole other battle just trying to get the insurance companies to cover your TRT once you get prescribed it.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the matter?

Again, let's keep this conversation classy and respectful towards others beliefs/lifestyles.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Damn I thought I would get a few responses lol

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You bring up good points. It actually should be easier for men to be prescribed T when their actual physical health is at stake, but it isn't. However, anti-aging clinics will not hesitate to take anyone's money, but these clinics are not covered by insurance. It can be a bit frustrating. I do believe that it is justified in both cases for insurance to cover it.

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Sure insurance should cover it. I don't see what the problem is. The more trannys the better, variety is the spice of life.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm completely in favor of anybody being prescribed it if that is the road they wish to take. It should be equally available.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The question is, how do you feel about transgender women who are transitioning into a male, being prescribed TRT and insurance companies willingly covering it?
Do you have evidence of this or is this just here-say?

Insurances companies goal is to deny benefit payments in every any any possible scenario. An elective procedure and/or treatment is likely not covered.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Insurances companies goal is to deny benefit payments in every any any possible scenario. An elective procedure and/or treatment is likely not covered.
This is just guess, but maybe they have to so they don't get sued for discrimination. If that's not the case I agree insurance companies would try and deny the claim first.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You bring up good points. It actually should be easier for men to be prescribed T when their actual physical health is at stake, but it isn't. However, anti-aging clinics will not hesitate to take anyone's money, but these clinics are not covered by insurance. It can be a bit frustrating. I do believe that it is justified in both cases for insurance to cover it.
Yeah man, I agree 100%.

Sure insurance should cover it. I don't see what the problem is. The more trannys the better, variety is the spice of life.
Whatever people want to do with themselves, as long as they are a productive member of society then that's fine by me.

Again I agree with the fact that it should be covered, it just seems like it's considered an acceptable "tool" with helping women transition into men. Yet, for a man to want to use TRT it's considered still taboo and a last means solution to a potential problem.

I'm completely in favor of anybody being prescribed it if that is the road they wish to take. It should be equally available.
Agreed.

I do not have evidence of this, I guess you can say it is just hear-say.

Not to get too caught up on the insurance aspect, but more so the overall social acceptance of testosterone use with transgendered women transitioning into men and it being considered this "miracle tool" that doctors willing prescribe in order to help them transition.

So on one hand you have this scheduled drug that is socially accepted and considered a tool for helping a female transition into a male. Then on the other hand it's considered taboo for an aging male to want to use testosterone in order for him to "feel" like his self again or get that extra rejuvenating pip in his step. Furthermore having to then jump through hoops just to get his doctor to prescribe it.

Finally, you have your average healthy male who wants to use testosterone to help with either enhancing his sports performance, adding muscle in the gym, increasing his sexual libido and stamina, or whatever logical use he may have for it. Yet that is very illegal, and demonized amongst society.

I just don't understand societies contradicting views on testosterone.

This is just guess, but maybe they have to so they don't get sued for discrimination. If that's not the case I agree insurance companies would try and deny the claim first.
I didn't think about the discrimination view point, that does sound logical.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I personally think it's total hypocrisy. I will admit that I don't know any Trans gender people nor have I ever talked to a Trans gender person about their situation and how they feel. But it seems to me it's all about personal identification and not hormones. There is nothing in our body that says " you know what I need to wear a dress because that's what my Y chromosomes tell me." But social standards, that's where the rules lie. If it is socially excepted for a man or a woman to take hormones that completely rewire their body then it's completely hypocritical for the same people to look down on a man who wants to take their own hormones to feel better in their own life. Does having more testosterone make you more of a man? No it makes you feel strong. It gives you more energy it makes your body function better, in society that makes you MANLEY, but no more of a man than a 135 lb guy who can't do a push up. Our reproductive organs define our gender. Our society defines our gender roles. In my opinion a guy who gets a boob job and takes a bunch of estrogen is just a dude with fake tits who felt the need to change his outside to make his inside feel more comfortable. And if society wants to support that. Good. But they need to support the same people who want to follow the same path but with out crossing the road into the other hormonal lane.
Oh and on the topic of insurance companies, f@ck them they are a bunch of cheats and bastards who are running the biggest racket on the earth.