Anyone With A Degree In Exercise Science/Physiology?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Up until recently my plan was to be a Civil Engineer. I realized that I am not as good at Calculus as I thought I was going to be, and I am not interested enough in it to put in the time to study extra hard.

I figured since I am so into fitness personally, I may as well do something with it for a living. As of now I am thinking of getting a Masters in Health and Exercise Science, and possibly being a Physical Therapist and maybe a Personal Trainer on the side? I'm just looking for some input from anyone who has gone through the programs. I would love to do Civil Engineering, but I am struggling with the math classes as is, and they will only get harder and are needed for all other course work.

allbrawn

allbrawn

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Had some friends do exercise science as an undergrad and it was basically a worthless degree. Basically all the athletes and kids that want to party do that degree because it's easy. Don't take the easy route.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How is that the easy route? Physical therapists are needed and just their assistants start at 60k around here.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'd get my masters by the way, not just a bachelors.

allbrawn

allbrawn

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are switching career paths in hopes of avoiding hard courses.
You want to become a PT? Well I guarantee you'll come across more "hard classes", are you just going to quit again?
These hard classes and difficult material is what weeds out the lazy/unmotivated people.

Final thoughts-accomplish your goal of becoming an engineer. It's alright if it takes you an extra semester, just don't quit.
You should quit school though and just work at McDonald's if you aren't willing to grind and study.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I said it's hard and I'm not interested enough in it to put forth the extra effort. The main reason I wanted to be an engineer was for the money. I'm interested in this, so it would be easier. Yes there will be difficult classes in any degree, but when it's something you are interested in then it makes it easier.

Yes they're to weed out unmotivated people. I am unmotivated for this at this point, it's just not something that truly interests me.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well actually I couldn't be a PT with just a masters, I just realized you have to be a doctor of physical therapy now. My parents both work in the medical field but most of the people they know had their masters and were already practicing as physical therapists before it was changed, and they hadn't realized it had changed.

I am now seeing that an exercise science degree is more of a stepping stone to other schooling. Still, it's something I'm much more interested in.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have a bachelor's in exercise science but I manage a warehouse for an office furniture company. Not a lot of good it's doing me, but I would like to get back in the fitness field eventually.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Up until recently my plan was to be a Civil Engineer. I realized that I am not as good at Calculus as I thought I was going to be, and I am not interested enough in it to put in the time to study extra hard.

I figured since I am so into fitness personally, I may as well do something with it for a living. As of now I am thinking of getting a Masters in Health and Exercise Science, and possibly being a Physical Therapist and maybe a Personal Trainer on the side? I'm just looking for some input from anyone who has gone through the programs. I would love to do Civil Engineering, but I am struggling with the math classes as is, and they will only get harder and are needed for all other course work.
I will so give you the breakdown later my man don't listen to the the butt hurt guy calling it a worthless degree

allbrawn

allbrawn

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will so give you the breakdown later my man don't listen to the the butt hurt guy calling it a worthless degree
An undergrad in exercise science?

Please tell me how this degree is valuable besides that fact that people use it to further education and get a master's degree/Ph.D.

I have close friends who did that route and are just making a decent living as personal trainers. All have told me they wish they chose a different degree.

Have nothing against people who pursue it, just have a hard time understanding why people still want to do that, phycology, history, philosophy...ect

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You don't need a Master's to be a PTA, which is different than a degree in exercise science.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't need a Master's to be a PTA, which is different than a degree in exercise science.
A PTA is an associates degree for many programs.

My opinion is that yes, a BS in any Ex Phys/Kines field is pretty useless unless you already have connections. It's not specialized in any way and isn't enough to usually qualify for the actual careers in the field (e.g. S&C, PT/OT, AT, etc.).

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you worked at a PT clinic? Although it is a fulfilling career, it is more than helping patients.

Like any other medical field, the amount of paper work needed per patient can be quite monotonous. Not to mention working with insurance companies can be quite frustrating.

I start my DPT here in a few months and I'll tell you if you go this route, you won't have time for much else, let alone another job like being a personal trainer

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
My BS was bio-pre med with a specialization in exercise physiology. Masters was an MBA though.