Adversity

ajbogs

ajbogs

Awards
We've all have had some hurdles in life, I figured it'd be interesting to talk about them and compare stories/maybe help each other!

I have 2 big challenges in life, I have type 1 diabetes, and it is a constant struggle. Even with all the latest medical breakthroughs and technology it never gets much easier, but it has helped me become decent at judging macros on food so there's that?
My second big challenge was when I got compartment syndrome - it almost cost me my leg and could've caused a stroke... I was bed ridden for 6 months and the doctors didn't think I'd ever have a fully functioning leg again. They had to remove a large portion of muscle and tendon out of my calf. Its been a tall mountain to get over but I try to use it as an inspiration to people... Kind of hey, I had the worst prognosis and I made it through

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We've all have had some hurdles in life, I figured it'd be interesting to talk about them and compare stories/maybe help each other!

I have 2 big challenges in life, I have type 1 diabetes, and it is a constant struggle. Even with all the latest medical breakthroughs and technology it never gets much easier, but it has helped me become decent at judging macros on food so there's that��
My second big challenge was when I got compartment syndrome - it almost cost me my leg and could've caused a stroke... I was bed ridden for 6 months and the doctors didn't think I'd ever have a fully functioning leg again. They had to remove a large portion of muscle and tendon out of my calf. Its been a tall mountain to get over but I try to use it as an inspiration to people... Kind of hey, I had the worst prognosis and I made it through
WOW...I commend you for being so positive dealing with your obstacles!!!

I was blessed to be born without medical obstacles, but nonetheless managed to create them. I am a recovering alcoholic!!! unlike you my obstacles have all been of my own making.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WOW...I commend you for being so positive dealing with your obstacles!!!

unlike you my obstacles have all been of my own making.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
ditto, ditto and ditto :D

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was recently diagnosed with clinical depression. I always knew something was right with my brain. Even as young kid(i am 19 now) i was always sad, anxious and depressed. The doctor also told me that my disease probably got amplified by my multiple concussion. I go through every week FIGHTING to make to the next. Having that moment were I'm contemplating living but wont do anything about because i know how much other people would suffer if i did. It has become so bad recently that i dont enjoy much anymore. Its not like i have been mistreated abused or bullied. I have what most people see as great life with good friends, great family, good grades(which im struggle with now because i have been unable to bring myself to do it recently), defensive captain of my football team, people look up to me, i dont do drugs or drink, and yet i am depressed. That made me even more depressed because "i should be happy", until i learned that clinical depression is not controllable, its genetic. So if you are depressed go to a doctor!!! Its not your fualt that you feel like this. Also the one thing that i find that helps me is getting into a routine that forces me to not be routine. Does that makes sense? Like i have set wake up time, school, football, homework, weights, tv/videogames/board or card game with family or friends(it just depends on the day), something new, then set bed time. So like with in that schedule try to do something in a way you haven't done it before, talk to someone new everyday and try something new everyday. DEPRESSION IS A SERIOUS DISEASE DON'T HIDE IT. Talk to someone you trust and a doctor.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was recently diagnosed with clinical depression. I always knew something was right with my brain. Even as young kid(i am 19 now) i was always sad, anxious and depressed. The doctor also told me that my disease probably got amplified by my multiple concussion. I go through every week FIGHTING to make to the next. Having that moment were I'm contemplating living but wont do anything about because i know how much other people would suffer if i did. It has become so bad recently that i dont enjoy much anymore. Its not like i have been mistreated abused or bullied. I have what most people see as great life with good friends, great family, good grades(which im struggle with now because i have been unable to bring myself to do it recently), defensive captain of my football team, people look up to me, i dont do drugs or drink, and yet i am depressed. That made me even more depressed because "i should be happy", until i learned that clinical depression is not controllable, its genetic. So if you are depressed go to a doctor!!! Its not your fualt that you feel like this. Also the one thing that i find that helps me is getting into a routine that forces me to not be routine. Does that makes sense? Like i have set wake up time, school, football, homework, weights, tv/videogames/board or card game with family or friends(it just depends on the day), something new, then set bed time. So like with in that schedule try to do something in a way you haven't done it before, talk to someone new everyday and try something new everyday. DEPRESSION IS A SERIOUS DISEASE DON'T HIDE IT. Talk to someone you trust and a doctor.
I have saw a number of your posts and never would have guessed you suffer from these issues. congrats on keeping it together so well, and good luck to you!!!

btw-it took balls to share this-props!!!

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have saw a number of your posts and never would have guessed you suffer from these issues. congrats on keeping it together so well, and good luck to you!!!

btw-it took balls to share this-props!!!
Ya not many know of my issue including my parents(it would just up set them because they wouldn't understand that its not their fault.) Just my brothers and 2 of my best friends know. I try to hold it together for other people sake as well as myself. However if I'm being honest i was in tears typing that post as well this one. I had to/am stopping periodically so people around me to notice

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ya not many know of my issue including my parents(it would just up set them because they wouldn't understand that its not their fault.) Just my brothers and 2 of my best friends know. I try to hold it together for other people sake as well as myself. However if I'm being honest i was in tears typing that post as well this one. I had to/am stopping periodically so people around me to notice
my friend, acceptance that you have a condition and seeking help is a major hurdle. I have faith that you will one day overcome this if you follow the path you are on and persevere.

you seem like a really good guy, and I sincerely wish you the best!!!

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
my friend, acceptance that you have a condition and seeking help is a major hurdle. I have faith that you will one day overcome this if you follow the path you are on and persevere.

you seem like a really good guy, and I sincerely wish you the best!!!
Thank you very much!!! I just hope that this helps that other people that are struggling themselves.

ajbogs

ajbogs

Awards
After the whole issue I had with compartment syndrome in my leg, I had a bout with depression too. Its no joke. It was the most miserable feeling ever... Gladly I sought help and I've been doing well since then.

Also who wants to see the gnarly scar on my leg?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After the whole issue I had with compartment syndrome in my leg, I had a bout with depression too. Its no joke. It was the most miserable feeling ever... Gladly I sought help and I've been doing well since then.

Also who wants to see the gnarly scar on my leg?
I am glad your doing better and yes i love scars

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I complete understand 100%. Sigh**** I was diagnosed at 13, and you're correct, it is genetics. It's an every day battle and when you are having a happy moment, you're terrified to lose it.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I complete understand 100%. Sigh**** I was diagnosed at 13, and you're correct, it is genetics. It's an every day battle and when you are having a happy moment, you're terrified to lose it.
Ya i totally understand. Also when you are in a happy moment and you're just not happy and that just makes you more depressed, or you sometimes you almost avoid being fun situations because "whats the point". Although i try not to avoid fun moments and try to avoid thinking "why am i not happy" and just try to enjoy everything i can.

I hope things have gotten better for you! If not i hope it does!!! I know we aren't close, by any means, and we haven't even talked(more like type to each other) before but if you ever need to you can PM me, sometimes its easier to talk tosomeone that you don't know. That also goes for anyone that has depression or is depressed you can PM me and i will do my best to help.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I have 2 big challenges in life, I have type 1 diabetes, and it is a constant struggle. Even with all the latest medical breakthroughs and technology it never gets much easier, but it has helped me become decent at judging macros on food so there's that?
I get that you may not want to share more but if you want to i would love to hear it. Plus i would love to see this scar you mention later. Its awesome that you overcame what you have; most people would have given up.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Depression is no joke, I have personally never been depressed rather just sad at a situation for a moment but I know plenty struggling. I have faced **** my whole life but it is what it is, just have to keep rolling with the punches. I have Stage 4 Testicular cancer and Osteosarcoma. Had both legs amputated below the knee because of the osteosarcoma. Thyroid cancer as a teen. Dad died in a car crash when I was 15, mom had brain cancer the next year. But just got accepted into med school at the University of Michigan, have a beautiful wife, and am still seeing the light of day. Life is great if you just look for the little things that make you happy!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Depression is no joke, I have personally never been depressed rather just sad at a situation for a moment but I know plenty struggling. I have faced **** my whole life but it is what it is, just have to keep rolling with the punches. I have Stage 4 Testicular cancer and Osteosarcoma. Had both legs amputated below the knee because of the osteosarcoma. Thyroid cancer as a teen. Dad died in a car crash when I was 15, mom had brain cancer the next year. But just got accepted into med school at the University of Michigan, have a beautiful wife, and am still seeing the light of day. Life is great if you just look for the little things that make you happy!
KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT-PROPS

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya man life sure has been hard for you. To have the attitude that you have is nothing short of amazing. Big props!!!! Keep fighting man and good luck.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a lot of respect for you, man. Best wishes going forward!

ajbogs

ajbogs

Awards
Here's the bad side of my leg. The other side was opened as well but did not require a skin graft. Still waiting on a doctor to give me a script for growth hormone since I'm missing a tendon and muscle tissue.

I have some pictures of it before the skin graft and such, but they're pretty damn gorey