Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my longtime, faithful dog sid has developed a rash on his hindquarters and keeps biting at it. I tried hotspot for dogs without my success...I am ready to take him to the vet, before I do does anyone have any useful suggestions?

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My dog Wrigley just had one too. We now give her benadryl 2x a day. Cleared right up.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
2nd the benadryl recommendation or just generic diphenhydramine. Of course you'll want to try and pinpoint the cause...new foods or chemicals in the house that he might have gotten into. Sometimes just a bug bite will do it as well.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
2nd the benadryl recommendation or just generic diphenhydramine. Of course you'll want to try and pinpoint the cause...new foods or chemicals in the house that he might have gotten into. Sometimes just a bug bite will do it as well.
we had a bad summer of biting gnats-I think they are called buffalo gnats, I think this is how it got started.

gonna try the Benadryl!!!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Benadryl and report back. We've been blessed with multiple dogs with allergies (lol) so I have ideas otherwise.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Benadryl and report back. We've been blessed with multiple dogs with allergies (lol) so I have ideas otherwise.
Same here. Several I've had to eliminate ingredients from their diet and more times than not it has been chicken which seems to show up even in "beef" and "pork" dog food and treats.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Same here. Several I've had to eliminate ingredients from their diet and more times than not it has been chicken which seems to show up even in "beef" and "pork" dog food and treats.
SID was a rescue dog, he was badly mistreated...he has had skin condition since we have had him, it seems to start around sept and last up to jan for some reason. my wife thinks they sprayed insecticide on him.....he has been the best, most loving faithful dog I have ever had and our entire family loves him to no end. he is now 16 years old and I can't bear the thought of losing him....

update...been giving him 1 Benadryl in his food 2x day, also putting hotspot on sore spots...I still catch him biting or licking every once in awhile, but not even close to as bad as it was....the Benadryl is working!!!

thanks guys for your input, SID is FAMILY!!!!

ONE MORE THING, ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A GOOD SHAMPOO?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've used Nature's Miracle all-in-one shampoo and conditioner with great success. I would look at some reviews on that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, that's great to hear. We also use an oatmeal based shampoo that the name is escaping me at the moment. Our current pup and last 3 were all rescues and need to eat a grain free food. If our current girl even finds a piece of crust on the ground, she is gnawing at her feet and scratching her ears all night. It's frustrating until you get it figured out.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yep, that's great to hear. We also use an oatmeal based shampoo that the name is escaping me at the moment. Our current pup and last 3 were all rescues and need to eat a grain free food. If our current girl even finds a piece of crust on the ground, she is gnawing at her feet and scratching her ears all night. It's frustrating until you get it figured out.
I went with a hydrocortisone shampoo I found at petsmart TOP PAW ITCH EASE MEDICATED SHAMPOO I put him in the tub with warm water and really scrubbed him good. between that and the Benadryl he seems to be healing up!!!

yup...you are right it is very frustrating...even when I didn't see him I could hear him gnawing, at 1st I got mad at him, but then I saw the look on his face and realized how much agony he was in....I hate to see my animal family members in pain!!!!