Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am pissed that people who have 4 DUI's are still out driving around....it is time to put a end to this, imo!!!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I am pissed that people who have 4 DUI's are still out driving around....it is time to put a end to this, imo!!!
One of my cousins was killed by a drunk driver it was his 3rd offense... meanwhile they're banning ped's and extending the hours that bars are open all over usa .

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Yes... They should not be allowed in a motor vehicle again.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My friend was talking to a 23 year old chick with 3 DUIs. I can't even comprehend this bs.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
nearly a third of all traffic deaths in the US were alcohol related. statistically a person has drove 52 times drunk before being arrested. almost no one convicted of drunk driving actually serves time[no matter the amount of offenses], even if a death occurs many are just given probation-this to me is an outrage!!!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
nearly a third of all traffic deaths in the US were alcohol related. statistically a person has drove 52 times drunk before being arrested. almost no one convicted of drunk driving actually serves time[no matter the amount of offenses], even if a death occurs many are just given probation-this to me is an outrage!!!
Is that common in all states?

That is unheard of here, we get hit fast and hard in Canada

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
There's a rating system punishment by number of offenses in MA

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is that common in all states?

That is unheard of here, we get hit fast and hard in Canada
it is very common in the US...the penalty for 1st offense can bring up to a year of incarceration, but this is very rarely ever given, actually incarceration is very rarely given no matter the amount of offenses. every day you can read in the paper someone killed by drunk driver and they only get probation, I don't know the numbers, but this seems common.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I see this all the time. The laws on this are way to lenient. Saw a guy on the local news had his 9th OUI or something like that. Or at least that's how I remember it...Anyway see stuff like that all the time multiple OUI offenses and they still get off almost scot free.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No its not ... they are more lenient tword drunk drivers than habitual no parking parkers !
this is the problem...we need MANDATORY sentences...they do it with controlled substances, the judge has no choice the punishment is mandatory.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I see this all the time. The laws on this are way to lenient. Saw a guy on the local news had his 9th OUI or something like that. Or at least that's how I remember it...Anyway see stuff like that all the time multiple OUI offenses and they still get off almost scot free.
yes, I see it all the time also....what is even worse is when a drunk driver kills someone and they give them probation!!!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, I see it all the time also....what is even worse is when a drunk driver kills someone and they give them probation!!!
Yeah this past Summer I think it was a drunk guy or girl ran down someone on a bicycle...I think they even drove over a dock or something. Wish I could find the story.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
this is the problem...we need MANDATORY sentences...they do it with controlled substances, the judge has no choice the punishment is mandatory.
Could not agree more. In my opinion, getting into a car drunk and driving in public is no different than firing a gun into a crowd. If you get caught DUI, I call that attempted murder.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Could not agree more. In my opinion, getting into a car drunk and driving in public is no different than firing a gun into a crowd. If you get caught DUI, I call that attempted murder.
I would vote in favour of that

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
it is very common in the US...the penalty for 1st offense can bring up to a year of incarceration, but this is very rarely ever given, actually incarceration is very rarely given no matter the amount of offenses. every day you can read in the paper someone killed by drunk driver and they only get probation, I don't know the numbers, but this seems common.
http://m.roanoke.com/news/crime/roanoke/tracie-nininger-convicted-in-death-arrested-again-on-dui-charge/article_31e87b58-9e49-50ba-8ece-a9ea6be375f1.html?mode=jqm

Not in VA. This lady did time for the dui manslaughter and got hit while on probation. Going back to the slammer.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Multiple DUIs is ridiculous. I would be scared to drive sober if I had gotten a DUI lol

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ya I think you guys might be blowing this a little out proportion. People get jailed all the time for multiple dui offenses. You don't get off for them.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ya I think you guys might be blowing this a little out proportion. People get jailed all the time for multiple dui offenses. You don't get off for them.
I personally know people that have gotten off with no time served for multiple offenses. Just to clarify, these are "friends" from high school and not anybody I currently hang out with. I know one who currently has a suspended license and had to do community service, but did no jail time and will get his license back in the spring...and this was not his first time.

I'm not saying that people never go to jail for multiple DUIs, but I've personally seen several who didn't.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, in high school a DUI could be a BAC of like .01 seeing as they aren't legal to drink in the first place and is anybody truly intoxicated at that level?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Unless you meant you just know them from high school and they have gotten them recently.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My friend's husband use to drink and drive all the time. One time he pulled over on the exit ramp, had his door open, and was slumped over in the car but the cops didn't see him. He's been a functioning alcoholic for 15 years and the sad part is that he drives for his work.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The worst part is when they get in wrecks they're usually okay and the other person dies.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Multiple dui without jail usually means rehab was involved. Or the time frame was far apart. Pretty sure if you look at any states dui laws there is a point where they get to minimum time served/mandatory.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Unless you meant you just know them from high school and they have gotten them recently.
I meant I knew them from high school or earlier and over 20 years later they're still acting like it's high school and got them now. A lot of peaked in high school Rob Lowes.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I meant I knew them from high school or earlier and over 20 years later they're still acting like it's high school and got them now. A lot of peaked in high school Rob Lowes.
Okay that makes sense!

Lol at peaked in high school Rob Lowes.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
In Houston the punishment can be rough, I got one and paid 10+ thousand dollars in fines and am still paying to the state 2 thousand a year, 2nd offense doubles that and a 3rd offense is a fellony with mandatory jail time unless you have 30,000 for a bad ass attorney... But outside of Houston ppl get off with dismissed cases all the time

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
in the united states a person dies every 51 minutes[30 a day]due to vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
look at the comments...I guess it is common in MA for people to have multiple arrests for dui there too.

btw-funny that they even named the beer he was drinking!!!
Lol its insane and a gallon of corona on passenger side ... wtf was it a bhatmitzva?

thatguy1234

thatguy1234

Banned
Awards
MA here too. Third offense I believe is mando time in a jail like b'ricka or something. My perspective on it changed a lot after I had my son.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
MA here too. Third offense I believe is mando time in a jail like b'ricka or something. My perspective on it changed a lot after I had my son.
yes, it looks like jail time is mandatory on 3rd offense, but judge can lower this to as little as 150 days...this is way too little for someone convicted for 3rd offense, imo....remember.. statistically-on average a drunk driver drives impaired 50+ times for every time he is caught

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
yes, it looks like jail time is mandatory on 3rd offense, but judge can lower this to as little as 150 days...this is way too little for someone convicted for 3rd offense, imo....remember.. statistically-on average a drunk driver drives impaired 50+ times for every time he is caught

I'm not going to disagree that a 3rd time offender should see more jail time, but the 50 times doent and should have any bearing on that.

thatguy1234

thatguy1234

Banned
Awards
yea, i think probably a year should be the mandatory for the third time, including extensive, excessive even requirements for alcohol treatment.

i got a DUI when i was 19 i think, maybe 20, over a decade ago at this point, hampton beach NH. I deserved it, I was hammered. Could never imagine being so irresponsible now. You can just call a cab if you're drunk, even walking a few miles is just a few miles... not worth killing someone or yourself. This stuff really hit me hard after my kid was born too. I was a really, really stupid irresponsible person when I was younger.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm not going to disagree that a 3rd time offender should see more jail time, but the 50 times doent and should have any bearing on that.
the reason I brought up the statistic that on average a person has drove impaired 50 times for every time he is arrested is to stress the point that by the time he is arrested for 3rd dui he has on average drove drunk 150 times.

how many chances do we have to give someone to kill or seriously injure innocent people.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yea, i think probably a year should be the mandatory for the third time, including extensive, excessive even requirements for alcohol treatment.

i got a DUI when i was 19 i think, maybe 20, over a decade ago at this point, hampton beach NH. I deserved it, I was hammered. Could never imagine being so irresponsible now. You can just call a cab if you're drunk, even walking a few miles is just a few miles... not worth killing someone or yourself. This stuff really hit me hard after my kid was born too. I was a really, really stupid irresponsible person when I was younger.
having kids changes everything, and that is how it should be-good man!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
some peoples level of stupidity amazes me...all I can think about is all of the innocent lives she put at risk!!!

I say 2 years penitentiary time minimum...but she will probably get probation!!!

thatguy1234

thatguy1234

Banned
Awards
Yea she needs to be made an example. Two years sounds about right

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Yeah in Georgia they'll hit you with habitual violator which is a felony. And yes, you'll probably get probation. But I would say about 90% of offenders on felony probation will go back at least once before their sentence is up. Probation in Georgia is ****ing hard.

But anyway...some bull**** if you still have a license (legally) after your 2nd DUI. Liberal judges in liberal states..

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah in Georgia they'll hit you with habitual violator which is a felony. And yes, you'll probably get probation. But I would say about 90% of offenders on felony probation will go back at least once before their sentence is up. Probation in Georgia is ****ing hard.

But anyway...some bull**** if you still have a license (legally) after your 2nd DUI. Liberal judges in liberal states..
lets be realistic.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
lets be realistic.
About what? I'm not saying you won't go to jail before an arraignment or trial. You'll go then. And even if you don't get "time" as a habitual traffic violator, you'll still get charged with a felony. It's a real thing..

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
It's zero tolerance here in Qld, Oz. If caught DUI over .05 it's immediate suspension of licence (term dependant on range of DUI reading) & a court appearance. They used to grant work licences (0.0 BAC & 1 point - so any minor infringement & you lost that licence) but I think that got canned too.
A second DUI is something like an automatic 12 - 24mth suspension while DUI while suspended is possible jail time.

I've been there, .062 the morn after a big night on my way to work. Had to call the boss & explain, super embarrassing & forced me to have a good look at myself. I don't drink at all these days...and I don't miss it.

Anybody wearing the "I drink & drive & have never been pulled over" badge needs a damn good flogging. Then sit them in front of hour upon hour of vehicle crash & survivor tale videos. Maybe hearing someone's kid crying for their now dead mummy will wake them up.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
About what? I'm not saying you won't go to jail before an arraignment or trial. You'll go then. And even if you don't get "time" as a habitual traffic violator, you'll still get charged with a felony. It's a real thing..
about not having a license after a 2nd dui, its not realistic to take it away. Un less you mean temporarily, which I'm fine with , but taking it away perminantly just isnt realistic.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
about not having a license after a 2nd dui, its not realistic to take it away. Un less you mean temporarily, which I'm fine with , but taking it away perminantly just isnt realistic.
the CDC Statistics say on average a person has drove impaired 50 times for every arrest, how many chances does a person need to kill someone?