Power vs. Strength

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
This has probably been answered on this forum, but is there a difference between power and strength?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Generally, power is defined as strength times speed

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Okay, so more for track runners or people who are looking to increase speed?
Not necessarily, but it is important for that. You can use anything as an example. For bench press, strength would be a measure of what it takes to do one rep. Power would be more what it takes to do as many reps as you can in 10 seconds. Think or power as the explosive force that athletes use.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Power is ability to produce the most force in the shortest time possible, and strength is your body's nervous and muscular systems ability to move an external force, such as weight or your body against gravity.

So a strong person take a few seconds to squat up a heavy weight, but a powerful person can stand back up in like one second.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Power is force and velocity. You can be very strong and lack power if you are slow.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Power is force and velocity. You can be very strong and lack power if you are slow.
Okay I gotcha now. In your opinion, is it better to work on strength first and then power or vice versa?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay I gotcha now. In your opinion, is it better to work on strength first and then power or vice versa?
In regards to workout order? I prefer power movements to be towards the beginning before more typical strength movements.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train pretty much only power and I like to strength train on separate days because I like to keep the weight moderate and focus on a quick tempo on power days. I also incorporate HIIT and sled work as well as kettle bell training. I find that PHAT is a good framework for power.