Balancing Going the Gym, working a Full Time Job + More

twarner

Awards
I've had a really tough time balancing going to the gym, focusing on my career, and being a parent. Im still trying to figure this out and im 33.

I've started working out fasted in the morning which is a huge time saver as well as bypass the huge evening rush. Food prep has been huge as well.

Whats your secret?

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
I've had a really tough time balancing going to the gym, focusing on my career, and being a parent. Im still trying to figure this out and im 33.
Do you have a problem structuring these things or is it a matter of not having energy for them all? For me I find its the latter. I can plan and execute pretty well but its a hard act to balance my energy.

For me everything has to have a place and time otherwise I have no hope.

For example with women I see them only once a week on a fri evening through to sat afternoon and only really allow phone time from 9pm-11pm lol but if I'm to do my other PM stuff thats the way it has to be.

I'm still learning though but yeah my secret is to be a bit of a selfish prick :)

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Being selfish is definitely one way to try and accomplish things. But in the end thats not the way I do business. Family is the most important thing to me and their time and respect is something I hold in high regards. I do my cardio fasted. Im up anywhere from 5-6AM. 30 min on cardio then off to the gym. I am always done by 830AM and if I need extra time I just go earlier. This works out perfect for my family and their schedule. It never. NEVER gets in the ways of things. I meal prep on Sunday which only takes me 30-45min. Basically like most everyone on here will tell you. Make time in you schedule but don't make this schedule your life. Learn to adapt. You will find something that works for you. There are no secrets in this just dedication and longevity. Good Luck

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I work 11 hour days and commute on average an hour and a half each day total. For food I make sure my dinner covers 3-5 meals and take it with me. I wake up 3 hours before I need to go to work to hit the gym and the shower. Its all about intent.

bobsaget2191

bobsaget2191

Awards
get up at 3 am go to work get home at4 pm got to the gym get out at 5:30 drive a hour further south pick up my son get home around 9 cook shower go to bed do it all over again lol I'm still trying to perfect my routine

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I workout on my lunch break and then do cardio afterward (or in the evening). Works well if you have a long enough lunch break :D

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I work 11 hour days and commute on average an hour and a half each day total. For food I make sure my dinner covers 3-5 meals and take it with me. I wake up 3 hours before I need to go to work to hit the gym and the shower. Its all about intent.
Dude don't mess around. Lol

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I workout on my lunch break and then do cardio afterward (or in the evening). Works well if you have a long enough lunch break :D
Lunch guy here too...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you're doing a good job so far. Always maximize your time and try not to waste a minute when possible. Always think what you can do next while you are currently doing something. Makes transitioning from one task to another easy and time saving.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
One word, passion. There is always time to fit additional things in your day. Just plan and prioritise.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
One word, passion. There is always time to fit additional things in your day. Just plan and prioritise.
True, but kids in the beginning really throw a monkey wrench into it. That's when I found it tough to go at all.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
True, but kids in the beginning really throw a monkey wrench into it. That's when I found it tough to go at all.
Ahh fair call! Thats something i have never had to, or plan to have to work with in the foreseeable future lol.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Being selfish is definitely one way to try and accomplish things.
Good post. Although 'being selfish' doesn't have to be as bad as it sounds. I mean, if you don't look after yourself how are you expected to look after others? If I was to put others first I really wouldn't go anywhere (I say that from experience embarrassingly).

When you don't have much going on its a lot easier but if you have a lot then its becomes tricky. When i was younger this type of question meant nothing. I wake up i go school or work come home and go out and be social. Now, I have a chronic illness to manage/beat, a child to raise (on my own), bills to pay, lofty career goals, health and fitness goals and "relationships".

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ahh fair call! Thats something i have never had to, or plan to have to work with in the foreseeable future lol.
Combined with the gym being one of your jobs, mainly training people...you simply get burned out.

But the desire usually comes back and you get back into it.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You are a beast!
How many days do u work?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Get up 4 am take my pre-work out get on AM Forum
4:30 work out (I workout at home)
5;30 Breakfast - shower drive to job
7 am walk in door at work
4:30 eat dinner at work
5 pm head to Planet Fitness for cardio (100 yards from job)
6:15 get home shower, set gym up for next days workout, prepare meals for next day
7 pm get on AM forum do logs - try to fulfill my Get Diesel Nutrition rep requirements
8 pm spend time with wife
9-9;30 head to bed

on weekends I only work Sat till noon and off on Sunday. This is when I perform my duties with my Property Management company !
Sat evening Date Nite with wife
Sunday Evening relax with wife

Now if we have the Grandkids...........All this go's right out the window!!!

I am sure I left something out !!

bobsaget2191

bobsaget2191

Awards
I don think anyone on here has a easy schedule which makes everyone a beast! lol

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
32 year old full time working parent checking in! I try to go before my daughter wakes up as often is I can. If she throws a wrench in and wakes up early I'm lucky and can use my lunch breaks to go. Weekends my wife and I will go together and have the kiddo play in the daycare so we can get some gym time in on weekend.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
I'm lucky in a way. I have 2 young kids and when home try to go early before they get up. My wife does a great job with the kids. When away at work which is 8 out of 14 days. Get into work at 0500 finish at 1730 then hit the gym, dinner and then bed. But I find when home going early in the morning is best because then you can give your time to family without feeling you let yourself down.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm assuming the question is geared only at gym/workout time and not how do we manage our lives in general.

It's about time management and commitment. I work 55 hours a week, have two little girls, they are both in numerous sports and other activities, and my wife also works part time. There is no such thing as extra time anywhere in our schedule, but it can be done. Some days it means getting up at 5am, others it means a lunch workout, some days I have to skip and just go for a run. I still get in 4-5 days a week of gym and kick boxing every week somehow. The point being that if you want it, you can find a time and a way. On the self same hand, you can also easily find a way to not do it and use excuses.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work 9 hours a day and go to school. I get to bed around 12 am sometimes and if I'm not too tired, I'll wake up at 415 am so I can cook and train. If I'm too tired, then I'll train after work. After training, I hurry home so I can watch my nephew until my brother comes to pick him up. There's never enough time in a day but I really like it that way. :D

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I work 9 hours a day and go to school. I get to bed around 12 am sometimes and if I'm not too tired, I'll wake up at 415 am so I can cook and train. If I'm too tired, then I'll train after work. After training, I hurry home so I can watch my nephew until my brother comes to pick him up. There's never enough time in a day but I really like it that way. :D
It keeps you off the streets!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Aint that the gosh darn truth