Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
in 1979 my ship anchored 2.5 miles off the port of cairo. we were there for 5 days, and i had a chance to see the great pyramid 1st hand-it was a game changer....every since the day that i 1st saw the great pyramid i have been fascinated by how ancient egyptians were able to construct it. i have watched numerous shows about how they MIGHT have built it but none of the scenarios are convincing. i would be very interested to hear what you guys think about this.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
There are a lot of shows saying aliens showed us how. Never liked the alien theory's. They give no credit to the industriousness of humans. Others say it would be pretty easy given their understanding of physics.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There are a lot of shows saying aliens showed us how. Never liked the alien theory's. They give no credit to the industriousness of humans. Others say it would be pretty easy given their understanding of physics.
when the library at alexandria was destroyed i think a LOT of secret ancient history went up in smoke, i am not convinced it was not intentional...if you really study the theories of the pyramids even the scientific experts are stumped...i am not totally ready to buy into the ancient alien theory but i am amazed at what the egyptians were able to accomplish with the simple tools archaeologists tell us they had available.....trust me pictures and television do not do the pyramids justice!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I taught ancient history for over a decade. Love Egypt. Did a lesson in pyramid building techniques.

The one that doesn't get the attention it deserves is Limestone concrete. The building would be far easier. Some testing in the stone proved to back this up a great deal.

Or....it's far older than thought. No where does it claim that Khufu built it....just that he worked on it. About 12000 years ago there is evidence of the great thaw, which could have easily destroyed an existing civilization, of which many of our ancients spoke of.

Now...go towards Bolivia an look at the work in Puma Punku. Put the Giza plateau to shame.

In terms of aliens, Take a look at Edgar Mitchell

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I taught ancient history for over a decade. Love Egypt. Did a lesson in pyramid building techniques.

The one that doesn't get the attention it deserves is Limestone concrete. The building would be far easier. Some testing in the stone proved to back this up a great deal.

Or....it's far older than thought. No where does it claim that Khufu built it....just that he worked on it. About 12000 years ago there is evidence of the great thaw, which could have easily destroyed an existing civilization, of which many of our ancients spoke of.

Now...go towards Bolivia an look at the work in Puma Punku. Put the Giza plateau to shame.

In terms of aliens, Take a look at Edgar Mitchell
i've never been to bolivia but seeing the giza pyramids in person was truly an experience.....my mind can't wrap around the ability to build those structures with the tools we are told they had, it just won't go there.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
I have not seen them in person myself. Something I would like to do at some point in my life.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've never been to bolivia but seeing the giza pyramids in person was truly an experience.....my mind can't wrap around the ability to build those structures with the tools we are told they had, it just won't go there.
The tools and techniques they had that we know about make it impossible for it to be done on the time frame the Greeks spoke of. It would mean a stone in place every few minutes. Especially when you realize the stones needed to be cut specifically to accommodate for the "air shafts" in the Queens chamber and the doors that are in the shafts that have recently been discovered.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As an aside, I was in Mexico 5 years ago and took a bus into the jungle to see Chichen Itza. It's unreal. To walk out of the jungle into this open complex and a whole citadel is truly just sitting their. The pyramid of Kulkulkan is amazing, and when you think that it is a solar calendar and was built on top of another pyramid, it is mind blowing

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys "have" to see Tikal in Guatemala! Simply amazing!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys "have" to see Tikal in Guatemala! Simply amazing!
The Mayan ruins are intriguing. Simply abandoned as if it was an organized abandonment. All that time, effort and resource into construction and then gone.

The next trip for me is South America. Need to get to Peru for Incan ruins as well as Nazca

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I read this book as a kid

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ancient-Engineers-Sprague-Camp/dp/0345482875

Properly organized manpower is amazing. I recall how modern engineers were unable to duplicate Caesar's legions ability to bridge the Rhine in the same time frame.
the pyramids were built well over 2000 years before caesar...in every show i have ever watched modern engineers are baffled how the egyptians could have built the pyramids...properly organized manpower, lol....look at the detail and intricacy that went into pyramid building.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the pyramids were built well over 2000 years before caesar...in every show i have ever watched modern engineers are baffled how the egyptians could have built the pyramids...properly organized manpower, lol....look at the detail and intricacy that went into pyramid building.
Especially within the 22 year period they are claimed to have done it. It is as close to impossible as it comes. Especially when you look at the stones used for the inner chambers.

The other question to pose is how did they light the inside to do the work? So smoke/fire residue was ever found.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes. But the Rhine bridge was built in 10 days and even today that cannot be duplicated. Example of even a short term project baffling modern types. That example the Romans were on expedition and could only use the tools they brought with them or equipment they could create in the field. Unlike the Pyramids which could draw on resources to build.

Egyptians had experience building pyramids prior to the Ghiza ones just smaller. Again properly organized manpower is impressive. Scale here was larger that is all.

There are other Ancient Era projects which are oversized marvels. Harbor at Caesar-ea, a number of Roman aqueducts which span 30+miles,

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes. But the Rhine bridge was built in 10 days and even today that cannot be duplicated. Example of even a short term project baffling modern types.

Egyptians had experience building pyramids prior to the Ghiza ones just smaller. Again properly organized manpower is impressive. Scale here was larger that is all.

There are other Ancient Era projects which are oversized marvels. Harbor at Caesar-ea, a number of Roman aqueducts which span 30+miles,
Respectfully, I think you're underestimating the size of the pyramids. The great pyramid has a base of 12 acres. There are over two million limestone blocks on that Peerman alone. Additionally, The pyramids are perfectly aligned north south east and west.

You cannot compare the great pyramid you earlier old dynasty pyramids. The red pyramid and the bent pyramid are not even close to the size nor the plans that were needed to complete the great Pyramid. Even the step pyramid of Djoser is entirely different. The great Ppyramid isthe first perfect flat side pyramid.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yes. But the Rhine bridge was built in 10 days and even today that cannot be duplicated. Example of even a short term project baffling modern types. That example the Romans were on expedition and could only use the tools they brought with them or equipment they could create in the field. Unlike the Pyramids which could draw on resources to build.

i am not discounting roman achievements, i have also visited the coliseum as well as many other ancient itailian ruins. also greek ruins.

another place that really impressed me was lisbon portugal.

in my time in the navy 1977-84 i was fortunate to make a NATO CRUISE, 3 MED CRUISES AND A WESTPAC CRUISE. i have seen 42 different countries, but truly what amazes me most is the giza pyramids!!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My Navy son and I are talking about traveling next year to the Great Pyramids. We all need to meet up!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My Navy son and I are talking about traveling next year to the Great Pyramids. We all need to meet up!
One of my oldest friends and I are planning an eventual trip to the Giza Plateau. Specifically for the Sphinx. Interesting seismographic testing results there. One of us is going to distract the guards, while the other uses one of the entrances near the dream stele. Also, the weathering patterns are really odd, specifically for something that is ONLY supposed to be 4500 years old.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Respectfully, I think you're underestimating the size of the pyramids. The great pyramid has a base of 12 acres. There are over two million limestone blocks on that Peerman alone. Additionally, The pyramids are perfectly aligned north south east and west.

You cannot compare the great pyramid you earlier old dynasty pyramids. The red pyramid and the bent pyramid are not even close to the size nor the plans that were needed to complete the great Pyramid. Even the step pyramid of Djoser is entirely different. The great Ppyramid isthe first perfect flat side pyramid.
Incredible. I hope to see them soon!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am itching to get there. They have truly limited what you can do now at most pyramid sites around the world. Most don't let you climb or enter anymore.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am itching to get there. They have truly limited what you can do now at most pyramid sites around the world. Most don't let you climb or enter anymore.
i have heard that since hawass is gone things are much tighter than before...back in the late 70's we had access to a lot more than is available today-but don't let that distract you...the pyramids are truly remarkable and seeing them in person is totally more awe inspiring than mere pictures or television could ever capture!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have heard that since hawass is gone things are much tighter than before...back in the late 70's we had access to a lot more than is available today-but don't let that distract you...the pyramids are truly remarkable and seeing them in person is totally more awe inspiring than mere pictures or television could ever capture!!!
Agreed, although Hawass was an a$$. He withheld a great deal of information specifically with the air shaft discoveries.

Now they allow nothing.

I felt the same way at Chichen Itza.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Agreed, although Hawass was an a$$. He withheld a great deal of information specifically with the air shaft discoveries.

Now they allow nothing.

I felt the same way at Chichen Itza.
lol...the only thing i was disappointed to see in person was the leaning tower of pisa, i really expected more.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was at Chichen Itza, I took a tour of the ball court. The acoustics were phenomenal. You could here quiet conversations 40 feet away based on the design alone.

Funny enough, after the organized lunch, I was permitted to tour alone. Got lost, and ended up at the observatory. Awe inspiring. However, almost missed my bus back :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I was at Chichen Itza, I took a tour of the ball court. The acoustics were phenomenal. You could here quiet conversations 40 feet away based on the design alone.

Funny enough, after the organized lunch, I was permitted to tour alone. Got lost, and ended up at the observatory. Awe inspiring. However, almost missed my bus back :)
Did you sit in that ball court and comprehend what the loser received at times? :D

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you sit in that ball court and comprehend what the loser received at times? :D
Oh yeah, and that becomes even more real when you see that Chacmool

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wife is convinced that ISIS's first target if they get across the Egypt border is to bomb the pyramids

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that would be an enormous blunder. There would be many mainstream Muslims that would respond against them.

On the flip side, maybe we would be able to see whats truly inside them ;)

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that would be an enormous blunder. There would be many mainstream Muslims that would respond against them.

On the flip side, maybe we would be able to see whats truly inside them ;)
I agree. I don't see ISIS attacking another muslim country ---- especially one that has secretly been funding them. (Just a theory I have)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be quite foolish. I could see other targets for sure, but I would be stunned if they went to Giza.

Plus, there are still many sections of Giza that have not been uncovered, hell they just found the symbolic tomb of osiris within the last year

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, they also don't have the capability to manage that much in explosives unless they thoroughly control the area. they can't sneak in with that much :D

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
geez, it is sad to think there are people in the 21st century who would intentional destroy an ancient monument like the great pyramid!!!

that would be barbaric!!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
geez, it is sad to think there are people in the 21st century who would intentional destroy an ancient monument like the great pyramid!!!

that would be barbaric!!!!
They have destroyed other ancient monuments, which is truly criminal

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
They have destroyed other ancient monuments, which is truly criminal
I saw this on the news. Senseless destruction.. and for what?

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I saw this on the news. Senseless destruction.. and for what?
Because they don't care about other cultures. If it's not theirs, then it's not worth having around.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Because they don't care about other cultures. If it's not theirs, then it's not worth having around.
to me the pyramids are not the history of egypt, but rather the history of mankind...this applies to all ancient artifacts, relics and monuments-at least to me!!!

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
to me the pyramids are not the history of egypt, but rather the history of mankind...this applies to all ancient artifacts, relics and monuments-at least to me!!!
Are you in ISIS? Lol!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Are you in ISIS? Lol!
neil armstrong did not say...one small step for man, one giant leap for the usa-it was an accomplishment for all mankind.

you don't think that the romans and greeks studied the pyramids and it influenced their buildings? i think all the great structures of the world have influenced other cultures throughout history....all of mankind benefits when something great is accomplished, imo.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
neil armstrong did not say...one small step for man, one giant leap for the usa-it was an accomplishment for all mankind.

you don't think that the romans and greeks studied the pyramids and it influenced their buildings? i think all the great structures of the world have influenced other cultures throughout history....all of mankind benefits when something great is accomplished, imo.
That is why the romans adopted greek gods and Alexander adopted the name Ra or Son of Ra. They studied earlier cultures and adapted them into their own.

If you havent already seen this other site, you should check it out....Sakasaywaman. The stones look melded together. Lends further credence to the idea of molten stone or even a form of stone concrete.

Some stones weigh in the hundreds of tons. Yet they were moved and placed in perfect alignment with others fitting together like a puzzle.
:rolleyes:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That is why the romans adopted greek gods and Alexander adopted the name Ra or Son of Ra. They studied earlier cultures and adapted them into their own.

If you havent already seen this other site, you should check it out....Sakasaywaman. The stones look melded together. Lends further credence to the idea of molten stone or even a form of stone concrete.

Some stones weigh in the hundreds of tons. Yet they were moved and placed in perfect alignment with others fitting together like a puzzle.
:rolleyes:
peru is very rich in ancient ruins, i have never been fortunate enough to go there...just like other historic places i am sure it is much more impressive in person than in pictures and television...maybe one day!!!!

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I agree. What I was saying is that the members of ISIS don't share the respect and admiration for any of the wonders of man's accomplishments. It is sad.
Being in construction, I have always been intrigued by the ancient structures and how they were able to build on such a massive scale with the tools they had. Our tools today are so much more advanced but the attention to detail is not there like in the past. This is also very sad.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I agree. What I was saying is that the members of ISIS don't share the respect and admiration for any of the wonders of man's accomplishments. It is sad.
Being in construction, I have always been intrigued by the ancient structures and how they were able to build on such a massive scale with the tools they had. Our tools today are so much more advanced but the attention to detail is not there like in the past. This is also very sad.
i was confused when you asked me if i was in isis, lol. i have the utmost respect and admiration for what the ancients were able to accomplish.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i was confused when you asked me if i was in isis, lol. i have the utmost respect and admiration for what the ancients were able to accomplish.
Lol! Yeah, I can see how it could be confusing. Let me say it like this:
You may have the respect but you're not in ISIS. They seem to have no respect for anything!

My sarcastic remark made sense in my head at least. Sometimes hard to convey tone of message in written text.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 0
nycste General Chat 16