Dog Food Brands

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I adopted a dog (pit bull mix) back in December. The first two bags of dog food I bought for him were the Blue brand dog food. I noticed it gave him really bad gas and very soft almost liquid like bowel movements. Someone suggested that the food may be too dense for my dog.

Since then, I switched to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. The gas and loose stools have gone away and he seemed to be responding well to it.

Recently, I would say over the past two months he has been frantically eating grass and plants anytime he's outside. I know dogs typically eat grass when their stomachs are upset so they can puke, however he never throws up afterwards and he will literally spend hours grazing outside like a cow. Along with that, his bowels are now very small and really firm.

I googled what it could be, and most answers were that the dog is most likely deprived of some sort of nutrient and he's eating the foliage to get it in his diet. I would have assumed it was fiber but I called my vet and he said dogs typically do not lack fiber in their diet. He wanted to run some test and do a stool sample which I do not have the money for at the moment. Other then eating grass and plants, he is showing no signs of being ill.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue with their dog, or can recommend a new healthy dog food brand I can try out.

Griffin and I thank you!

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1436218594.873889.jpg

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I use Iams adult large breed for my Shephard mix. Every now and then, he eats grass and has puked what looked like a huge bowl of collard greens. He doesn't do it often, but the Iams produces solid stool and I don't think he's ever had runny stool. The Iams was recommended by the trainer who we took our dog to for boot camp.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I use Iams adult large breed for my Shephard mix. Every now and then, he eats grass and has puked what looked like a huge bowl of collard greens. He doesn't do it often, but the Iams produces solid stool and I don't think he's ever had runny stool. The Iams was recommended by the trainer who we took our dog to for boot camp.

Thanks man, I'll definitely check out that brand! Beautiful pup!

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
Hills Science Diet, wifey is a vet

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Use Canidae and racheal ray both have been great. 10 year old spaniel and a 6 month old spaniel.
Doc said to watch his skin with food.

My older cocker spaniel will lay out in the grass/hot sun when his stomach hurts.

The pup is a **** eater....saw him chompping on a turd yesterday! Why?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use Iams adult large breed also and have no issues. Science diet is a great brand, but really expensive.

My last dog, a pit, liked cheap Pedigree and never had issues with that..

Be careful when switching to a new brand and ease it into his diet. Abrupt diet changes can cause diarrhea or hair loss.

Cute dog man.

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
I use Iams adult large breed also and have no issues. Science diet is a great brand, but really expensive.

My last dog, a pit, liked cheap Pedigree and never had issues with that..

Be careful when switching to a new brand and ease it into his diet. Abrupt diet changes can cause diarrhea or hair loss.

Cute dog man.
Yes switch slowly, like mix 20/80 ramp up with new food mixed in, makes the switch much easier on the pup! I agree with this so much. If you use prime you can find some decent prices with the prime shipping on amazon. But yeah I use the advanced fitness for my mini bully he loves it, extra omegas in there is always nice. Your dog is fricken awesome Dirty Dan

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
I use royal canine for my boxer no issues and vet recommended it over blue buffalo. Always good coat and no loose stools