Looking like a personal trainer

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I will begin my career training people and I'm super excited. I have been a powerlifter for years putting up respectable numbers with a 545 deadlift and a 335 paused bench at 198. And I love training powerlifting but now that I'm a trainer I feel I might need to start training to look the part instead of lift the part lol what are your guys thoughts? I'm 13-15% BF if you were to hire a trainer would you want him or her to be shredded or be strong? Should I change my training for more hypertrophy and body part split? But I still want to continue to compete in the USPA. And I feel I'm close to a 585 # deadlift and 365 bench. What would you do?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I were a trainer I would keep doing what I'm doing. I do a power routine with lots of mobility, and I get more looks and questions about help than the prettier boys.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMHO, it depends on the clients that you want to attract. If you want the hardcore then stay your course. If you want the "pretty" boys and girls then drop weight and get shredded. Just remember that you don't want to give up your life's goals for a job.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I will begin my career training people and I'm super excited. I have been a powerlifter for years putting up respectable numbers with a 545 deadlift and a 335 paused bench at 198. And I love training powerlifting but now that I'm a trainer I feel I might need to start training to look the part instead of lift the part lol what are your guys thoughts? I'm 13-15% BF if you were to hire a trainer would you want him or her to be shredded or be strong? Should I change my training for more hypertrophy and body part split? But I still want to continue to compete in the USPA. And I feel I'm close to a 585 # deadlift and 365 bench. What would you do?
Get shredded once,take a picture, have that somewhere where the client can see and Then forever bulk.

There ya go.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
The gym where i work has a few trainers all shapes and sizes. i noticed that the huge ones get all the guys wanting to get buff and the beach type ones get the girls and older women for toning and cardio advice, circuit training etc. How i see it is that a client is going to look at your photo and mentally compare it with their fitness goals and see if it is compatible. if it matches then they will call you!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMHO, it depends on the clients that you want to attract. If you want the hardcore then stay your course. If you want the "pretty" boys and girls then drop weight and get shredded. Just remember that you don't want to give up your life's goals for a job.
This. 110%

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As others mentioned, what type of client are you looking to focus on if any? Obviously "looking the part" doesn't mean that a trainer knows what they are doing. I feel that knowledge/experience/credibility are most important, but one's appearance can help them stand out and attract potential clients, especially if just starting out in a commercial gym setting. Also, if someone is ripped it doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be big and strong as well. If that's becomes a goal, I wouldn't change your training, as diet would be the biggest factor.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The gym where i work has a few trainers all shapes and sizes. i noticed that the huge ones get all the guys wanting to get buff and the beach type ones get the girls and older women for toning and cardio advice, circuit training etc. How i see it is that a client is going to look at your photo and mentally compare it with their fitness goals and see if it is compatible. if it matches then they will call you!
Bingo.