How too dress as a black male?

nowayjose

Awards
This might be the oddest forum to ask, but i would hesitate too think that those concerned with their body would have a pretty well-rounded view on looking/feeling/dressing well?

My question is, as a male in his 20's, still stuck with a closet full of nike elite socks, camo cargo shorts, and nike air 1's, how has your style advanced too a more mature sense? Talking casually, is it all polo's? I mean when i go out with friends i don't want too be in jeans and a t-shirt, whats the next step?

I only specify black because it's hard too find specific info for myself, all guides such as askmen.com are aimed at the white male, so it's entire hair section and grooming is almost meaningless too me, any sites, knowledge would be appreciated!

If it matters.

5'7
20's
International business wanna-be.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wear whatever you're comfortable in. My best friend loves wearing his church clothes, a suit and tie. :)

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
imagine you're dressing up for something (or someone) special every single day. Wear clothes that fit well, clean, and in a style that YOU are happy with. don't try and copy others, create your own style.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You said the site you looked at where about white guy hairstyles and grooming, but the clothing styles can still apply to you. The fashion part is what you're asking about. I assume you already have your own hairstyle and grooming style anyway.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a fan of artofmanliness.com

nowayjose

Awards
Thanks for the advice! More to the point. . im not insecure or anything, just need those "staples" too really have one looking nice in the world.

nowayjose

Awards
Remember carlton from fresh prince of bel-air? Thats about what i would look like using the tips from most mens guide. Not too say their bad, just that what looks good on a white man usually comes across as goofy on a black man. This is from my judgement, put me in a bow-tie and skinny jeans and i'm Urkel. Black men as a whole understand the look most black men are trying too go for, saying the average is not looking too look or dress like a hipster, guides talk about top-hats, handle-bar mustaches, complete non-sense for me. But as i said this is not to say its bad, just that i cant pull it off.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Where is that guy who was ordering suits from Italy????? We gotta get him in here!!!!!!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I'm also "black" lol. Most of the things found can be applied to most men, but depends on what your life entitles. If I'm working I will wear shorts and a v neck, if I plan on going out for the night like clubbing or partying I will usually wear some dark denim jeans and button short sleeve shirt. Only time I wear gym shoes like Nike is for lifting. Though those were two examples of casual wear but if I'm going out with say a girl and take her out to somewhere I might step up my game with a blazer on top of my night club wear, as if she gets cold bam! She can use my blazer for warmth. Like killing two rocks with one bird.

nowayjose

Awards
What kinda shoe's do you wear for the club? And lmao "BAM"

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Such a gentleman Abe Lincoln;
'BAM' lol.. :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Remember carlton from fresh prince of bel-air? Thats about what i would look like using the tips from most mens guide. Not too say their bad, just that what looks good on a white man usually comes across as goofy on a black man. This is from my judgement, put me in a bow-tie and skinny jeans and i'm Urkel. Black men as a whole understand the look most black men are trying too go for, saying the average is not looking too look or dress like a hipster, guides talk about top-hats, handle-bar mustaches, complete non-sense for me. But as i said this is not to say its bad, just that i cant pull it off.
You are being too narrow-minded here. You are too focused on stereotypes. A black man can dress with clothes similar to what Carlton would wesr, and look not like Carlton.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
What kinda shoe's do you wear for the club? And lmao "BAM"
Canvas shoes. Of course this changes if you are going to some type of high brow place, but still canvas shoes are comfortable and no worry of getting ruined if stepped on. As they don't scuff.

Skinny jeans are retarded on white guys too.
True haha. Need the right frame for it as well ie no legs. Straight legged or slim would be my choice.

Such a gentleman Abe Lincoln;
'BAM' lol.. :)
*Sound effects may very

nowayjose

Awards
I know that sir. Im not being narrow-minded. I do not like the way Carlton looks like in those type of clothes, when i wear those clothes, i look like him, not that we are black, but that the look is a look i do not like.

Carlton is 5'6-5'7, im 5'7, similar build, i do not like the whole look, i like too give a look, and its not that look, he was an example so you would understand what im not in-to, what Abe is posting is spot on.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I know that sir. Im not being narrow-minded. I do not like the way Carlton looks like in those type of clothes, when i wear those clothes, i look like him, not that we are black, but that the look is a look i do not like.

Carlton is 5'6-5'7, im 5'7, similar build, i do not like the whole look, i like too give a look, and its not that look, he was an example so you would understand what im not in-to, what Abe is posting is spot on.
If you are still looking these are a few pics of myself wearing some of the things I said for some ideas.

https://instagram.com/p/1d6fRLykK6/

https://instagram.com/p/31JAZUykMS/

And some fresh kicks my friend wanted me to try on

https://instagram.com/p/21R_gXykJt/

nowayjose

Awards
Great, thats the style i've been wanting too try, where do you buy? Im sure you have a tailor. The first picture is how i want too dress going out, 2nd picture for a formal look.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Great, thats the style i've been wanting too try, where do you buy? Im sure you have a tailor. The first picture is how i want too dress going out, 2nd picture for a formal look.
Mainly Marshalls, they have the brand steel & jelly which most of my shirts are made by. Levi jeans. Shoes are black canvas shoes by penguin. The blazer was the only thing I didn't buy from Marshalls, picked up from kohls. No tailor. Bargain shopping at the best at Marshalls hah

plifter42

Awards

Solid white/solid black v-necks, some nice pairs of denim, jordans, make sure the colors match, and accessories are up to you... This is from experience of having a black best friend growing up btw.