Best Strength/hypertrophy program?

nowayjose

Awards
Discussion time! What do you guys feel is the best program in combination of strength/hypertrophy. Speaking from a general point, i would say 5x5, but only for legs. I feel my upper-body benefits more from a 3x10 style.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
well I don't know about a 'best' program because everyone is different. The thing I learned from my coach though is consistency and hard work pays off. so choose a program you like, stick to it and then you will get the best from it.!

For me I started with something like starting strength to learn the lifts. now I am on P/P/L and its awesome.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I've run Layne's PHAT a few times and like how it treats me, but the overtraining aspect is high.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
PHAT or at least that style. I'm running PHAT (as its prescribed) now, but saw the best gains of my life last fall/winter running a 6 day variant that was basically P/P/L with one round hypertrophy and 1 round strength. Best thign Ive ever done and saw massive gains in strength and size.

If you want both, you have to train for both.

nowayjose

Awards
I suppose everyone recommending PHAT, as i read on this site a program aimed at increasing hypertrophy and strength are usually geared too enhanced lifters. Just trying too seperate what everyone would say would work for a natural person or an enhanced. I have no bias towards either as i plan on being both.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I suppose everyone recommending PHAT, as i read on this site a program aimed at increasing hypertrophy and strength are usually geared too enhanced lifters. Just trying too seperate what everyone would say would work for a natural person or an enhanced. I have no bias towards either as i plan on being both.
No a program which periodises strength and hypertrophy is geared to anyone who wants to grow optimally. i have been training PHAT for >4ish years now and gains and progressive overload are still consistent.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
PHAT or at least that style. I'm running PHAT (as its prescribed) now, but saw the best gains of my life last fall/winter running a 6 day variant that was basically P/P/L with one round hypertrophy and 1 round strength. Best thign Ive ever done and saw massive gains in strength and size.

If you want both, you have to train for both.
Did you do any logs when you were on the P/P/L because I am interested to see how you designed it? Why did you stop if you had good gains?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Layne Norton, the creator of PHAT, is a lifetime natty lifter.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Layne Norton, the creator of PHAT, is a lifetime natty lifter.
Layne has figured it out, he's got some sort of podcast or monthly training video on YouTube. I'll see if I can find it and add it in here.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Did you do any logs when you were on the P/P/L because I am interested to see how you designed it? Why did you stop if you had good gains?
Biggest reaason was changing jobs and schedule... I travel a lot more now so workouts aren't as predictable without having a fully stocked gym guaranteed and hours scheduled every day. Sometimes its just physically impossible to train when you're flying from 4am til 10pm and want to sllep/eat at some point before going to work again ha.

Also, it was a ton of volume and work so it would have been harder to keep up with when cutting (which I am now).

This was the log I ran: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/254139-swol-boones-quest.html

If you want to see the whole program pm me your email and ill send you the excel template I used

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't suggest PHAT unless you are used to that much volume already and have a solid work capacity foundation.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't suggest PHAT unless you are used to that much volume already and have a solid work capacity foundation.
It's hard finding a balance to live with and keep making gains, I've switched to a 5/3/1 BB lift for a few because I've been living in the gym and it's counterproductive in the long run.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Maybe I just am used to much higher volume, but when I started PHAT (as prescribed, not my 6 day abomination ha) it was less volume... But I guess that's truly a matter of perspective based on current/past routines. Frankly, I dont think it's a crazy amount of volume, even in comparison to an average routine.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I just am used to much higher volume, but when I started PHAT (as prescribed, not my 6 day abomination ha) it was less volume... But I guess that's truly a matter of perspective based on current/past routines. Frankly, I dont think it's a crazy amount of volume, even in comparison to an average routine.
Agreed it's not that bad compared to something's going on out there. The website that shall not be named had a squat everyday workout that would have been fun on a bulk!!

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Agreed it's not that bad compared to something's going on out there. The website that shall not be named had a squat everyday workout that would have been fun on a bulk!!
was it like this I saw on my fb? How many people last the 30 days or even actually get Abs by the end of this? haha..
9314a5f0d9b069b3694f3d5018c2152a.jpg

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I ran a 30 squat program for glute and hip strength that I liked a lot, but I couldn't truly recover like I needed.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
was it like this I saw on my fb? How many people last the 30 days or even actually get Abs by the end of this? haha..
View attachment 119823
Nooooooo it's a legit squat variation each day. Brutal concept. Gotta make sure to eat a ton and not over train during each session so you can recover.

Fronts, backs, hacks, etc etc. intense stuff

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
https://www.t-nation.com/training/185-rep-squat-workout
I just found this one now if I can figure out how to work everything around this and add the calories you just might have something!
That's awesome (insane). Sounds so brutal but I literally can't see any way this would not build a ton of size and power. Have a nice big meal before and a massive carb loaded meal after and you'd be sure to explode.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How's that routine going dbl38

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Good, except I've been sidelined by some kind of virus so I'm taking a few days off-sucks!!