Need advice please

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone.

I have been living on my street for the past 20 years. I have never had an issue with anyone on my street or anyone really in general. I'm not a confrontational guy and often at times back down when I probably shouldn't.

Recently I adopted a dog who I take on walks every day. Now I'm not sure how it is elsewhere but where I live you have houses, a front lawn, followed by sidewalks, and then a little strip of lawn, and then followed by the road. From the sidewalk on is considered town property, but as a homeowner it is your responsibility to maintain the sidewalk and little strip of lawn that connects to the road.

The guy three houses down from me has four times now aggressively confronted me about my dog peeing and pooping on his little side strip of lawn. He claims that other dogs will smell my dogs pee and poop and also go to the bathroom there. Now, first off I always pick of my dogs crap so it's not like I leave it lying there, and secondly I'm not going to stop my dog from peeing if he has to go.

Yesterday after him once again confronting me, I completely lost it and flipped out on the guy. We screamed and argued for about a good 15 minutes before he made the gesture to apologize, because I think he saw I was ready to kill him. I know I have every right to walk my dog and as long as I don't let him go to the bathroom on the guys front lawn, as well as pick up after my dog there is nothing he can really do.

Just curious on how I should handle any future run ins with the guy? I suppose I can walk my dog on the other side of the street to keep the peace, but I really don't want to back down on this one.

Thanks.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I have a neighbor same as yours. She actually blamed me for all the dog feces infront of her lawn and I told her twice I pick up after them. I did get fed up so now I made sure both my dogs started pooping there and not pick it up. I did that for a good week and then I felt bad and stopped. She hasn't bothered me ever since

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
So in short what I'm saying is don't back down

compudog

compudog

Awards
Tough call. I think you're right, you have every right to walk your dog there, and the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the road is town property. What that means is, this guy is literally going out of his way to pick a fight with you. That could be because his wife just left, or maybe he's just a dick. In any case, you're clearly in the right. That said, you have 2 options; either walk your dog the other way, or continue doing what you're doing, and force the issue. I have no idea which is the best course to pursue, but I do have a couple observations; first of all, I've seldom (perhaps never) seen anyone truly change someone else's mind or attitude by arguing with them. And second, if you do choose to force the issue, it will mean getting involved with the guy, at least to some degree. You could even end up being friends. The problem with that is, he's already shown himself to be overly aggressive, so you have to ask yourself, do you really want to become involved with someone you've had a problem with before you even got to know them? If I were in your shoes, my preference would be to gently avoid the guy, provided it wasn't too much of a hassle to do that. Maybe he was just having a bad week and he'll apologise later, maybe not. Doesn't have to matter to you though.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I would check with code enforcement as well as heck your local real estate tax website. Most localities have a GIS website that shows an aerial view of parcels with proper lines drawn on it. Run his address through it and see if his property is actally set back from road or not before pushing the issue. I wouldn't push it too much if the guy lives close enough to know where you live.

If his property is set back, print out the pic of the property and take it with you and when you see the guy, hand it to him and tell him to go **** off. You could threaten a criminal charge of harassment if he keeps on.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You're not going to get along with every neighbor ever and dogs are going to go when you walk them. As long as you are picking up the poop, then you're in the right. I would just avoid him. No need to change the course of your walk, but perhaps try and avoid that strip if you don't want it to look like you're rubbing it in his face.

mdabbott2009

Awards
Keep walking by and if he's got that big of a problem with it he will try and cause a problem with you that's when you lay the hammer down on him. Or he will call the police and say your dogs ****ting in his yard. And look like a total ass to the police for wasting there time.

Oh in my smaller town its like 25 dollar fine for pooing in someone else's yard good thing our little yorkie takes small poos.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.

For now I have been walking my dog on the opposite side of the street and there hasn't been any issues.

As much as I'd like to punch this guy in the face, it's not worth the stress or problems that will go along with it. I'd rather be the bigger man and simply carry on with my life.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good call. Some people just aren't worth the aggravation.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.

For now I have been walking my dog on the opposite side of the street and there hasn't been any issues.

As much as I'd like to punch this guy in the face, it's not worth the stress or problems that will go along with it. I'd rather be the bigger man and simply carry on with my life.
I think the strip is generally considered private property technically speaking, but the city usually has a right-of-way easements (not sure about the general public but it is a sidewalk after all.) But the guy does have a point, Dan. Dogs pee to establish territory. It could definitely bring in other dogs to his yard when they smell it, all trying to establish dominion for that patch of dirt.

I think you did the right thing bro. Let him know he better show respect when he speaks to you from now on, but walk the dog on the flip side to play it cool so he has no reason to talk sh!t either.