I Don't Like Mondays

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find such irony in our ability to master technology and networking and a host of other advancements in our socialization yet we still have not learned how to understand ourselves and each other and why we do what we do.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1 in 4 girls are molested and or sexually abused usually by someone close to them usually a step father.

1 in 6 boys (see above) - that means one of you.

Today, one-third of American children – a total of 15 million – are being raised without a father.

Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.

Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.

Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
But did this all happen before at some point and it didn't get reported? Do we just have access to more facts/statistics? Has the world really changed or do we just here more about it?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was molested. I never reported it. I had an abusive alcoholic father. Who would I report that to. My parents divorced. Kids don't report those things. I witnessed my parents verbal a physical "domestic issues". I never considered reporting it.

I know dozens just like me. Those data are the under reported statistics.

I guess my point is that these are the kinds of people who are producing "future people" people. These people grow up with these scars and wounds that are the youth and adults today. We don't all make it through life as socially and emotionally function and contributing members of society. We are producing sociopaths who perpetrate by acting out on there issues. I am just a fortunate one that has not crossed "that" line. I was more self destructive and didn't commit crimes against society. Others - not so much.

Please know I'm not looking for pity or crying poor me. I am a statistic and am a text book product. It's by the grace of God I keep my self as functional as I do. I do pretty good but there's a lot under the surface that has been there a long time.

These are no secrets to the mental health and social health systems in or culture and society yet we can't seem to do anything to stop it as "advanced" as we are. But my cell phone takes awesome pictures.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not all people act out by perpetrating acts against society or community.

To further exemplify my point - Steve (Snagency - to those viewing - no disrespect to him or his family). How many times had he exhibited "unbecoming" behaviors and or responded in ways "incommensurate" the matter. He exhibited behaviors (at times) of someone with issues. Although he was highly functional and expert in areas of his life there were areas of significant deficiency. I can use him as an example that I can empathize with and have emulated. Low and behold there was MUCH under the surface.

We often joke (in regard to women) about keeping daughters off the (stripper) pole. Or jokingly use statement about Daddy issues. Love me Daddy.

They all seem cliché yet in reality there not so far off.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Feelin'

By Van Halen

Outta touch most the time
Gotta lotta things on my mind
Kickin' down, where to start
It's the hardest thing
Oh...
Grow it long, shave it off
Life is hard, never soft
I need a change, I need it quick
Before it makes me sick
That's what's on my mind
Pay attention, watch your back
Pay your dues, stay on track
Got no room to second-guess
Puts me under stress
Oh...
If I were you, you were me
I wonder who I'd want to be
With just one wish you can't refuse
I wouldn't know what to choose
Feelin'...no, don't like what I've been
Told I'm feelin'
Feelin' what no one else will ever
Know I'm feelin'
Oh...
Now black is white and white is
Black
Got politicians smokin' crack
And John Paul's all bullet-proofed
It puts me through the roof
Yea...
I were you and you were me
I wonder who I'd rather be
If I had one wish I'd take it
Feelin'...oh, I don't like what I've been
Told I'm feelin'
And I'm seein'
What no one else will ever know I'm
Seein'
Come on, feelin'
Hey, I don't understand these things
I'm feelin'
No...
Outta touch most all the time
Too many things on my mind
Shuttin' down, gotta stop this thing
Feelin'...no, I don't like what I've been
Told I'm feelin'
I'm bleeding...like no one else will
Ever know I'm bleeding
Dealin'...I'm dealin' with these things
I'm feelin'
I'm dreamin', I'm dreamin', I'm
Dreamin' things that show me what
I'm seein'
Seein'...I'm seein' things that I don't
Know I'm feelin'
I've been feelin', I'm feelin', I'm feelin'
Things that I don't know
I don't know, I don't know what I'm
Seein'
Hey, I don't understand

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Seventh Seal

Walk me down to the wishing well
Help me find that miracle
Splash that holy water on me
Drown my faith in trinity, yeah!
Oh yeah
Little by little, gonna get it, I swear
One more piece of the puzzle, I'm there
Gotta get lucky, gotta get that done
Little bit of luck never hurt no one
Come on take me down, down,
Down...
I'm in a cold sweat
Lord don't let me drown, drown,
Drown, drown
In mother earth's soul, yet
Under darken skies
We'll see the light
Broken now I can't help but feel
Someone cracked the seventh seal
Nothing sacred, nothing left
Unturned
When nothing's simple
Then nothing's learned
So take me down to the virgin spring
Wash away my suffering, oh
Splash that holy water on me
Wash my eyes so I can see
Come on take me down, down, down...
I'm in a cold sweat
Yeah, don't let me drown, drown,
Drown, drown
In mother earth's soul, not yet
Lord I think I found, found, found...
My mother lode, hey
Down, down, down, down, down,
Down
Take me down, down, down, down...
Take me

Bigdeputy

Bigdeputy

Awards
Its bad the way things have gotten. Respect is completely disappeared. People aren't held accountable for their actions anymore instead they are deemed to have some sort of disorder and instead of prison they get a bag full of medication. Most of my shift is spent on domestic violence incidents, and its a true shame to see what some will put up with and deal with.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While I agree with the sentiment of your post I believe and see plenty of evidence that victims become perpetrators.

Fatherless men produce fatherless children.
Victims (children witnessing) of domestic violence become perpetrators of domestic violence.
Victims (child victims) of sexual abuse become sexual abuse perpetrators or deviants of some sort.
Alcohol and drug abuse homes produce alcoholics and addicts.
Etc., etc....
Edit: Divorced homes produce divorced homes.

That is the point.

Bigdeputy

Bigdeputy

Awards
I agree with you. I see it passed on from generation to generation. I have dealt with the parents then the children. Domestic abuse has became a terrible epidemic around here. When a child is brought up around such behavior it seems to be the normal for them so the trend continues passed down from parent to child...

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Inside Out

This was supposed to be a children's movie for me, my daughters (27&13) and my grandson (5) to enjoy and it turned out to be far more than I expected. It has characters that embody our emotions and are named accordingly; Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust and Anger. It was quite and emotional experience viewed from the eyes of my childhood and my parenthood. I highly recommend that you guys watch it, especially parents of young ones. Not so much for them but for you and how you and your issues and their environment influences their psyche, emotions and self esteem. I went real deep into the metaphors and symbolism and struggle to keep from sheading a few tears. Ironically best movie I've seen in a long time. It might communicate my point for the more simple who can't get it. I screamed out loud and clear for me.

"Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions - Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley's main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school. -- (C) Pixar"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015/

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reality...we're still 11 year old boys locked in a cellar imagining what our lives would've been had we escaped...

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
I find such irony in our ability to master technology and networking and a host of other advancements in our socialization yet we still have not learned how to understand ourselves and each other and why we do what we do.
Speak for yourself.