Lower back problem

ScruffMcBuff

ScruffMcBuff

Awards
Today I was doing heavy bent over rows and on my last set and last rep I was putting the weight back down and I felt a pull in my very lower back and ever since then it's been very tight and slight pain, I can still bend over but it's just when I bend back it hurts and is very tight. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Please help

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Unfortunately it happened to me and I tried to fight through it for years. It would get better, but then I would end up aggravating it again and then it just started getting worse with each time. I finally went and saw a chiropractor and went through spinal decompression therapy which helped A LOT.

ScruffMcBuff

ScruffMcBuff

Awards
Unfortunately it happened to me and I tried to fight through it for years. It would get better, but then I would end up aggravating it again and then it just started getting worse with each time. I finally went and saw a chiropractor and went through spinal decompression therapy which helped A LOT.
do you think it's just a pulled muscle? I can walk and stand fine, I can bend over but I can't bend backwards or it hurts and is tight? I was stretching too and I did the child prayer stretch and it felt good but when I reversed and did downward dog stretch it was tight as hell and a little painful. I was doing the exercise with perfect form too

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Stuff like that usually hammers to me once every year or two. Not always from lifting, once it just treated picking a piece of clothing off the floor!

I usually rest for a day or two, then light stretching and avoid heady gym lifts for a few more. After a week or so I add in light back exercises and slowly add weight if it's seeming fine. I toss in a few hangs from the pull up bars and let my legs sway a bit, kind of like a poor mans spine stretch.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
do you think it's just a pulled muscle? I can walk and stand fine, I can bend over but I can't bend backwards or it hurts and is tight? I was stretching too and I did the child prayer stretch and it felt good but when I reversed and did downward dog stretch it was tight as hell and a little painful. I was doing the exercise with perfect form too
It could be, but it's impossible for anybody to tell you for sure over the internet. You can ice it and take some NSAIDS and hope it heals properly, but it's hard to tell how extensive it is.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Don't mess around with low back pain. Rest it but keep moving or it can tighten up and take far longer to heal. See a chiropractor or massage therapist to help get any knots out. It could be a one time deal that heals quickly or it could be a lifelong issue. Hard to tell. I injured my back 18 months ago and I still feel it daily.

ScruffMcBuff

ScruffMcBuff

Awards
Don't mess around with low back pain. Rest it but keep moving or it can tighten up and take far longer to heal. See a chiropractor or massage therapist to help get any knots out. It could be a one time deal that heals quickly or it could be a lifelong issue. Hard to tell. I injured my back 18 months ago and I still feel it daily.
I'm pretty sure I pulled a muscle because it just felt like that it's hard to explain and I woke up stiff as a board and in pain but instead of my whole lower back its just my lower left back now? Just gonna rest it the best I can, thanks for everyone's input

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
My friend my friend. A sad tale it is - I'm seeing a physio for this right now. If you've got what I've got then your issue is exactly what you're feeling - you're tight as a high school girl. You need to stretch - honestly - I would youtube a yoga video for stretching lower back/glutes etc. Do this for a few weeks - otherwise it will start to limit your ability to lift. It will get better - but for now I would do a supported rowing exercise and bust out your yoga mat. The stuff is actually amazing - it has cured many "injuries" on me that were actually just right muscle issues. Promise. Hope you heed my advice as I've been in the same situation for months lol

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I'm pretty sure I pulled a muscle because it just felt like that it's hard to explain and I woke up stiff as a board and in pain but instead of my whole lower back its just my lower left back now? Just gonna rest it the best I can, thanks for everyone's input
My lower left is where the pain is for me too. Last year I had a hockey mishap where I did a flip and landed on my low back. I chipped my pelvis, bulged a disc in my spine, and pinched 3 nerves due to a dislocated rib. My chiro called it the triangle of pain. I spent weeks in bed resting every chance I could but found that it felt much better when I moved. The more I rested it, the stiffer it got, the more it hurt. Mind you my girlfriend had to put on my socks and shoes for me for almost 3 weeks,

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've posted this recently but it seems it is needed again. I've used this protocol to go from having strained spinal ligaments from improper lifting technique outside of the gym to squatting heavy again in a week. Say what you will about my testimony, but as far as free information goes this is the cream of the crop:

SuperDtv The QL, Taming the Dragon in your Lower ...: http://youtu.be/eixkcrX_Qh8

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Today I was doing heavy bent over rows and on my last set and last rep I was putting the weight back down and I felt a pull in my very lower back and ever since then it's been very tight and slight pain, I can still bend over but it's just when I bend back it hurts and is very tight. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Please help
What kind of angle are you pulling from? Most people do this exercise VERY wrong and either start too high, end up to high or start jerking the bar with their back.

You should be bent over with your hips back and the only subsequent movement should be at the shoulder. If youre almost standing up, the lower back can be compromised.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My friend my friend. A sad tale it is - I'm seeing a physio for this right now. If you've got what I've got then your issue is exactly what you're feeling - you're tight as a high school girl. You need to stretch - honestly - I would youtube a yoga video for stretching lower back/glutes etc. Do this for a few weeks - otherwise it will start to limit your ability to lift. It will get better - but for now I would do a supported rowing exercise and bust out your yoga mat. The stuff is actually amazing - it has cured many "injuries" on me that were actually just right muscle issues. Promise. Hope you heed my advice as I've been in the same situation for months lol
I actually recommend not stretching the lower back, but strengthening the core and stretching the hip flexors and glutes for lower back pain. IMO and from what I observe, we want to stop the lower back from excessive motion by keeping the core tight and ensuring the back is straight. Flexibility in the lower back as opposed to the surrounding muscle groups seems counter intuative

ScruffMcBuff

ScruffMcBuff

Awards
What kind of angle are you pulling from? Most people do this exercise VERY wrong and either start too high, end up to high or start jerking the bar with their back. You should be bent over with your hips back and the only subsequent movement should be at the shoulder. If youre almost standing up, the lower back can be compromised.
I was bent over and not standing up, but I think when I was placing the weight back down I straightened my back and I felt a pull in my lower back

Bigdeputy

Bigdeputy

Awards
It could be, but it's impossible for anybody to tell you for sure over the internet. You can ice it and take some NSAIDS and hope it heals properly, but it's hard to tell how extensive it is.
Good advice here. Ice first then Ice and Ice along with some naproxen. Im still dealing with the results of a back injury from several years ago. But mine was much worse..muscle spasms leg numbness... just remember Ice is your friend.

David147

Awards
Lower back pain is very common. Since mankind started to walk upright, the muscles and ligaments near the spine have had to support the whole upper body. Some of the causes of back pain:

– Weak abdominal muscles, or poor choice of abdominal exercises (sit-ups can be harmful)
– Unusual positions (perhaps your spine was extended in a weird way)
– Prolonged standing, especially in heels, or prolonged sitting in a bad chair
– Sleeping crooked
– Emotional stress, which you may not even have been aware of before the pain began.