Incline Benchs better than regular

hulkamaniac54

Awards
I am normally barrel chested, but I wanna have a larger upper half. But are variations of incline bench better than regular parallel bench. I wanna lift the pecs.

ScruffMcBuff

ScruffMcBuff

Awards
Doing incline bench will hit your top pecs, I'd recommend dumbbell incline because it's a full range of motion and you can feel that nice squeeze in your upper chest and shoulder region. Also gotta hit the decline bench to round out your pecs. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Doing incline bench will hit your top pecs, I'd recommend dumbbell incline because it's a full range of motion and you can feel that nice squeeze in your upper chest and shoulder region. Also gotta hit the decline bench to round out your pecs. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps
Thought this was bro science?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if it's true but I heard barbell shoulder press, lowering the bar all the way down to your clavicles, hits upper chest as well.

I've always had a weak upper chest; wish there was something I could do.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Primary upper chest work works wonders for me, I alternate between bb and db presses with db flyes as a finisher. Also if you choose to use flat pressing do so post upper work, your pecs will already be fatigue so you can use lighter weight with better form

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Am I insane or does upper benching not work the upper chest, but more shoulders and traps. As all chest movements work the entirety of the chest, but when you change the angle of the bench it makes you use other muscle groups more.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Hit up some reverse grip bb bench press. Make sure to press in an arc.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Am I insane or does upper benching not work the upper chest, but more shoulders and traps. As all chest movements work the entirety of the chest, but when you change the angle of the bench it makes you use other muscle groups more.
Depends, form plays a huge role... I prefer upper work for the inclusion of the delts, makes it easier to include shoulders into my chest days...

Ultimately its not about having massive pecs or a chiseled chest but to have the delts tie into the upper chest for a more appealing physique.... atleast thats my thought process

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
You can also get a slight alteration by doing neck presses. And Reverse grip bench is an excellent choice as well.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do inclines and my shoulders hurt, I never get sore in the chest, Flat bench press I get sore pecs. so for me I do not believe inclines help. I wish they dis I need more upper chest !

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is correct. There is no such thing as upper or lower pec. All the same muscle. When you change the angle you are just recruiting other muscles to take some of the load.

Press movements hit the Pec Major and Flys hit the Minor (Under the Major). But nothing only hits the northern hemisphere of the pec.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I do inclines and my shoulders hurt, I never get sore in the chest, Flat bench press I get sore pecs. so for me I do not believe inclines help. I wish they dis I need more upper chest !
Most likely your doing it wrong! Me personally, whenever i do inlcine, i tuck my elbows, keep my chest up, and whenever you press, press in an arc. So come down to your sternum, then press in an arc. Bar should end roughly over your chin/face.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
This is correct. There is no such thing as upper or lower pec. All the same muscle. When you change the angle you are just recruiting other muscles to take some of the load. Press movements hit the Pec Major and Flys hit the Minor (Under the Major). But nothing only hits the northern hemisphere of the pec.
Yes there is an upper and lower pec! There is a clavicular portion and a sternal portion. Clavicular is the upper pec. Sternal is the pec major. The pec minor hardly has anything to do with fly movements. Basic kinesiology.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes there is an upper and lower pec! There is a clavicular portion and a sternal portion. Clavicular is the upper pec. Sternal is the pec major. The pec minor hardly has anything to do with fly movements. Basic kinesiology.
There's a clavicular head, but there isn't an upper and lower pec. They share the same insertion point and they're both considered part of the pec major.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
There's a clavicular head, but there isn't an upper and lower pec. They share the same insertion point and they're both considered part of the pec major.
Yes! Should have rephrased my explanation a little different!

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Rodja, so whats you thought on targeting the clavicular portion of the pec major?

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I don't know if it's true but I heard barbell shoulder press, lowering the bar all the way down to your clavicles, hits upper chest as well.

I've always had a weak upper chest; wish there was something I could do.
This has improved my chest shape immensely over the past year

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Haven't done it in a long time, but if I remember correctly, no arch.
next time, try pressing in an arc....bar should come down to lower part of sternum(maybe lower), then bar should end up over nearly over your chin. Hence press in an arc.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I get a huge pump in my upper chest while using the hammer strength incline press. Its an awesome machine

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
So what benefits are there to decline and incline, just different muscle recruitment? I barely do either

Tigers333

Awards
Just do all the presses man. Guaranteed to work. :)