Any tax experts in here?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The wife and I just leased a new vehicle yesterday. She runs her own business from home. We're wondering if we could use that vehicle for tax purposes for 15.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yuppers. At least, I believe so. Dunno if leasing it instead of owning makes a difference. Depending on state rules you may have to list it as a business vehicle with your insurance company. You have to here.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Yes. Most businesses lease as it is easier to document the cost of the deduction, however, they lose the ability to claim depreciation on the car. In my experience, the more important factor in your situation is the personal vs business use of the car.

If you have a second car, you can claim the new car to be 100% business use.

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
Yes. Most businesses lease as it is easier to document the cost of the deduction, however, they lose the ability to claim depreciation on the car. In my experience, the more important factor in your situation is the personal vs business use of the car.

If you have a second car, you can claim the new car to be 100% business use.
This^^^ I also would add that if ever audited they may ask for you to produce a log of mileage and usage... It's happened to one of my clients.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys. She doesn't have an LLC yet. Does she need that to claim it?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys. She doesn't have an LLC yet. Does she need that to claim it?
I would think to be considered a business entity she would need a tax ID #, whether LLC or Corporation.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll ask my boss. He wants to CLAIM EVERYTHING AS BUSINESS!

Him: Oh, this pizza here is a business lunch expense! o_O

Me: Nooooooo!!!!! O.O

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
I would think to be considered a business entity she would need a tax ID #, whether LLC or Corporation.
It depends on the business.. For example if she was a realtor, or sales than no problem.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
She sells health & wellness products.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My boss has 2 cars and both of them are for business. One is a truck and the other is an Escalade.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks dude. I think we're going to pursue the LLC, just for a few extra tax breaks.