Umbilical hernia

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had surgery Tuesday. No mesh! Dying to lift!
Anyone had one of these? I have heard of a guy who never got his fixed and bra a block of wood over his navel.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Had surgery Tuesday. No mesh! Dying to lift! Anyone had one of these? I have heard of a guy who never got his fixed and bra a block of wood over his navel.
Do not go back into lifting early, I had this removed when I had my gall bladder removed. I'm surprised they didn't use mesh, any reason why?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They only use mesh when it's really bad or they think it'll recur. I had one repaired a few years ago also. It was so minor I had no idea it was even there. Only reason I found out about it was because that same night I started feeling sick to my stomach. Within several hours I could barely stand up straight and was puking out some kind of nasty green stuff. Started sweating profusely and shaking in pain. Thought it would go away so I laid down for a few hours. It just got worse so I went to the ER and found out I had to have my appendix out. They found the small hernia and appendicitis when they did an ultrasound, because nothing abnormal showed up on the CT scan.

Anyway, sorry for the story. I needed about 3 weeks recovery before I was cleared to go back to the gym.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I also had one fixed when I had my gall bladder removed. You could see mine, it was like a small 'bubble'. They didn't put mesh behind mine either. If I remember right I was out of the gym for 5-6 weeks.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I also had one fixed when I had my gall bladder removed. You could see mine, it was like a small 'bubble'. They didn't put mesh behind mine either. If I remember right I was out of the gym for 5-6 weeks.
Lucky I was out for three months.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do not go back into lifting early, I had this removed when I had my gall bladder removed. I'm surprised they didn't use mesh, any reason why?
. Mine was something present from birth. I didn't tear anything but one day after deads I noticed I had a "bubble" in my navel. Pushed it back in and it stayed. Few days later bubble is back. Pushed back in was gone. Then it starred being out more than in. I wear a tool belt at work and that's when I'd notice the discomfort. So from when it first popped out to when I had surgery was less than 6 wks. Oddly dr did not ultrasound just a visual diagnosis. He can suture anything 1.5cm and smaller. Openings over 1.5cm get mesh. Must have been smaller than 1.5 cm
Before surg he said no lifting over 10 lb until post surg follow up. I can do lite cardio. Today I'm gonna get on the tread mill and walk for 15 at a comfortable pace and see how it goes. In my mind every day I don't lift in shirking and getting fat. Like a backwards recomp. Stressing me out but par for the course. Keeping diet up and cut cal a bit and lighter on carbs at end of day.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
. Mine was something present from birth. I didn't tear anything but one day after deads I noticed I had a "bubble" in my navel. Pushed it back in and it stayed. Few days later bubble is back. Pushed back in was gone. Then it starred being out more than in. I wear a tool belt at work and that's when I'd notice the discomfort. So from when it first popped out to when I had surgery was less than 6 wks. Oddly dr did not ultrasound just a visual diagnosis. He can suture anything 1.5cm and smaller. Openings over 1.5cm get mesh. Must have been smaller than 1.5 cm
Before surg he said no lifting over 10 lb until post surg follow up. I can do lite cardio. Today I'm gonna get on the tread mill and walk for 15 at a comfortable pace and see how it goes. In my mind every day I don't lift in shirking and getting fat. Like a backwards recomp. Stressing me out but par for the course. Keeping diet up and cut cal a bit and lighter on carbs at end of day.

You'll be alright. I think it took a week of lifitng and I was close to were I was. What held me back is I was more afraid of lifting heavy than anything. Of course I had stitches in 4 different places and even though there was only a few in each spot I was still afraid of tearing the scar back open.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recommend you go up to three months if you can. I had an umbilical repair with mesh that failed after I started lifting too soon. It eventually became an epigastric and had to have both done with mesh.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I recommend you go up to three months if you can. I had an umbilical repair with mesh that failed after I started lifting too soon. It eventually became an epigastric and had to have both done with mesh.
woe. 3 months? That's a long time. Dr thinks I could be back to work w no restrictions by jan. If I can lift a 28 ft fiberglass ext ladder for work I should be good to lift. But I'll know more at first follow up appointment this wed. Went xmas shopping at mall for 3 hrs instead of cardio. I feel way better on my feet than sitting.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's just me. Having had the first one, and the expenses of my deductible and co-pays, for it to fail, and then to have to duplicate the procedure, a more complicated procedure, and the deductible and co-pays, that is how I would proceed. YMMV

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They only use mesh when it's really bad or they think it'll recur. I had one repaired a few years ago also. It was so minor I had no idea it was even there. Only reason I found out about it was because that same night I started feeling sick to my stomach. Within several hours I could barely stand up straight and was puking out some kind of nasty green stuff. Started sweating profusely and shaking in pain. Thought it would go away so I laid down for a few hours. It just got worse so I went to the ER and found out I had to have my appendix out. They found the small hernia and appendicitis when they did an ultrasound, because nothing abnormal showed up on the CT scan.

Anyway, sorry for the story. I needed about 3 weeks recovery before I was cleared to go back to the gym.
Your appendix story is EXACTLY like mine. I could not stand up straight, but waited the next day to go to the walk in. I thought the pain would subside. The appendix was close to bursting lol

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your appendix story is EXACTLY like mine. I could not stand up straight, but waited the next day to go to the walk in. I thought the pain would subside. The appendix was close to bursting lol
Yeah, doc told me if I had waited even a few more hours, it would've been a completely different outcome.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I absolutely can't stand cardio on tread mill and I was actually anxious to do it this a.m. 45 min decent pace walk. I know it is all psychological but I feel like a raisin shrinking in the sun!
Weight on scale is the same 205-208. Kept 95% of all my gains from my FINAFLEX MASS 550/STIMUL8 log (special thanks to Steve aka Snags may he rest in peace!) Followed that up w some trib and arimistane. Body comp went down a bit but my diet kinda tanked as well
Took some advice from, dare I say, Rich Pianna, and am going low carb mon-fri(100-150g/day) and not restricting fat eating 200 g of protein
On sat and sun I molest carbs, restrict fat intake, and keep protein up at 200grams
I guess it's like an uneducated keto diet
So short end of that rant is aside from surgery I would say my appearance in mirror is satisfactory
Plus I haven't taken anything in 2 weeks. No multi, no test booster or trib(kinda same I think), no creatine, nothing but milk thistle. Ever look in the cabinet or were ever u keep ur sups and say "damn I take a lot of ****!" And wonder if it is all good?
In the last 3 months
FINAFLEX Mass 550 AND Stimul8
USP SUPER CISSUS
NOW tribulus
MYODYNE Slintropin, ErgoNox, Ergostane and Ergopure
Metrx multi and mrp
Natures Research whey
BullNOX
EPH100
Reaction Nutrition VooDoo
Optimum AmiN.O.
Creatine mono
I think that is it
Not everything was taken concurrently
I know it's not like I'm running gear but it makes u wonder. That's a lot of stuff for liver and kidneys to break down
Any thoughts?

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had follow up w surgeon Yest. Back to work in 3 weeks. "Light" lifting and moderate cardio are allowed. If it hurts don't do it was his main advice. Some wise words there!
So off to the basement to walk at a moderate pace for 45 min!
Still feel like a fat slob but plan on changing that!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 0
Injury / Rehab 0
Injury / Rehab 10
Whorid Injury / Rehab 6
Bigman1292 Injury / Rehab 11