TENS Unit

Methylated88

Awards
So im sure many here have seen, heard of, or even used a Tens unit. And for good reason. They have been advertised quite a bit towards the fitness community.

But let me cut to the chase. I bought one. Not for muscle building (does not work in this regard) and not for pain therapy. But rather to improve my mind muscle connections. Let me explain.

For the longest time I have struggled with the right side of my chest. While not noticeable to others, it is to me. As my left side has grown, my right has lagged. So much so that I had to actually dedicate entire workouts to my right side to prevent any disproportion. It sucks. Ive tried everything. Form changes and tweaks to fringe exercises. Nothing helped the mind muscle connection. Until now.

For the past few days I have been using my TENS unit solely on the right side of my chest. And after my first chest workout since I bought it last week, I have noticed a huge increase in my utilization of the right side during workouts. As long as my form remains perfect my right fires as hard as the left.
Now I know this may sound strange but its true. And I welcome any and all questions or comments. Thanks for reading.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No idea on 'why' but that's interesting. I use my TENS for pain relief.

When I've had cold laser treatment done, it definetly without a doubt, improved nerve firing, so I imagine it's something similar.

Methylated88

Awards
I have heard of paralysed patients using it to "develop" or "awaken" neuro pathways and so thought it could have a similar effect on my chest. Its only been a few days but I imagine it will get even better with use.

jmaplewood

Awards
Sorry to resurrect this one, but Ive been having problems with mind/muscle connection and my chest in general. I have one of those wireless tens units, going to try and see if it helps like methyl said. Any one else have any experience or input on the subject?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No experience here except when my chiropractor uses it, but I'd be curious to hear how it works for you.

jmaplewood

Awards
Yeah I have one of those cordless ones, been trying it. What's weird is that I'll put it across both pecs, turn it on and I can feel it in both, but it's really weak in the right, and if I turn it up, it contracts the left like crazy and the right just barely. Chest tomorrow so I'll see if it's helping at all

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah I have one of those cordless ones, been trying it. What's weird is that I'll put it across both pecs, turn it on and I can feel it in both, but it's really weak in the right, and if I turn it up, it contracts the left like crazy and the right just barely. Chest tomorrow so I'll see if it's helping at all
Hmmm, that's odd. Stupid question, but have you tried switching which side you use the electrodes on? Just curious if it might be an issue with the actual unit.

Mumbles01

Mumbles01

Awards
  • Established
I have one& use it to help with my sciatic pain in my but/leg area. It does help after leaving it I for about 30 minutes pulsing.

jmaplewood

Awards
Hmmm, that's odd. Stupid question, but have you tried switching which side you use the electrodes on? Just curious if it might be an issue with the actual unit.
Yeah I thought that, switched it around and no difference. Strange

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Really hope you guys are using the EMS setting and not TENS. EMS (pulsations) is what you want for rehab.

jmaplewood

Awards
I think th op used the tens in order to stimulate the nerves, but I don't feel any of the tens feeling on mine, when I start to feel anything it pulses and contracts the muscle.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think th op used the tens in order to stimulate the nerves, but I don't feel any of the tens feeling on mine, when I start to feel anything it pulses and contracts the muscle.
I just re-read OP's post. So I assume he's using the device on the standard TENS setting, to fire up the muscle over a prolonged period of time. I don't believe he's talking about nerves, but was looking for a full muscle contraction, in order to train his mind into knowing what it should feel like.

jmaplewood

Awards
Yeah that makes sense, and also is what I'm trying to do. Mind muscle connection with my chest sucks. I barely feel anything

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah that makes sense, and also is what I'm trying to do. Mind muscle connection with my chest sucks. I barely feel anything
Try doing cable flies, and one armed cable flies while you hold your chest with the opposite hand to ensure you're contracting hard. Works great for this!

Also, make sure to keep your scapula retracted when benching. Shoulders back, shoulder blades pinched. Never lift your shoulders at the top of the movement.

jmaplewood

Awards
Try doing cable flies, and one armed cable flies while you hold your chest with the opposite hand to ensure you're contracting hard. Works great for this!

Also, make sure to keep your scapula retracted when benching. Shoulders back, shoulder blades pinched. Never lift your shoulders at the top of the movement.
Cool thanks man. Happy holidays